Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
bmattos

Default Creating Portals and objects weight

I have an idea of char, maybe it can be against the way gurps is suppose to work, but i need to try.

Its based on Marvels The Spot, and a lot of others "portal makers"

I've read a lot of ways to do this. Warp+tunnel, affliction(warp) etc... But my i always face same problem. The weight limit, and im kinda confuse, because by the way some people say, a portal dont consider weight, other say it does...

Im trying to create a way that i can "throw" a portal on the floor and any object can fall. No matter how many it weight.

I know this is totally broken but, its not a problem.
bmattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #2
James P

Default Re: Creating Portals and objects weight

I'm sure someone has an answer for making the portals appear anywhere, which I'll be interested in hearing.

And yeah, I read it that way, too. But since it also says that others can follow you, whether you want them to or not, if it stays on, I just take that to mean that portals are exempt.

And I'd make them exempt, anyway. Because they're portals. The idea of a portal that strips the clothing from your body as you jump may sound very Heavy Metal Magazine, but the idea that you need to buy up amazing levels of Enc, just to let two people walk through your tunnel would be... a no, from me. No Enc, just tunnel.
James P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
bmattos

Yeah the problem i think, its not people crossing, with or without cloth and stuff. The way Kromm explain this is ok. The problem is just objects falling inside or throw at the portal. To use like the game "portal".
Old 05-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
Varyon

I would think the weight limit on a Portal would be about how much weight can go through at once. If you build a Portal with a weight limit of 200 lb, two 150-lb people can go through just fine, but a 180 lb person carrying a 40 lb pack won't be able to. Of course, that same 180 lb person could still get through, by tossing the pack through first and then stepping through (or getting one of those 150-lbers to carry it through for him). Whether this is a per-second limit (drop a literal ton of bricks on it, the first 30 or so go through but the rest get stuck... then a second later 30 more fall through, and so forth) or "distinct object" limit (drop that ton of bricks and they all go through fine, but put them all together in a bag first and it'll never make it through) would be up to the GM.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattos View Post
I have an idea of char, maybe it can be against the way gurps is suppose to work, but i need to try.

Its based on Marvels The Spot, and a lot of others "portal makers"

I've read a lot of ways to do this. Warp+tunnel, affliction(warp) etc... But my i always face same problem. The weight limit, and im kinda confuse, because by the way some people say, a portal dont consider weight, other say it does...

Im trying to create a way that i can "throw" a portal on the floor and any object can fall. No matter how many it weight.

I know this is totally broken but, its not a problem.
Kromm covers it pretty well in this thread.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #6
bmattos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Kromm covers it pretty well in this thread.
I read that. But how i can make a "hole" portal? Like a wormhole. If fits, can go. Connecting both ends in every way. To work like the game portal. There is some way to do it? Increase the weight limit dont make sense, the idea is to make something that can pass even atmosphere...
Old 05-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #7
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
I read that. But how i can make a "hole" portal? Like a wormhole. If fits, can go. Connecting both ends in every way. To work like the game portal. There is some way to do it? Increase the weight limit dont make sense, the idea is to make something that can pass even atmosphere...
Are you the GM?

If "yes", then re-define the tunnel enhancement to permit precisely that. Alternatively, create an enhancement that allows the ambient environment to pass through the tunnel; I'd price it as an additional +100% worth of enhancement. (Cosmic, Cheating, Ambient Pass-Through, +100%)

If "no", ask your GM how they want to handle the request (assuming they are willing to permit it to begin with).
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I can't remember where it's at, but there is a post somewhere by PK where he rules that keeping momentum or ignoring it for your warp is a 0% switch. In my supers campaign AEON I applied this same logic to local atmosphere for the purposes of the Tunnel enhancement - you could have it so the atmosphere on the other side leaks through or not. Stuff like water or other liquids/heavy atmosphere didn't leak through unless you had Can Carry Objects. If you want to do both get Selective Effect.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
bmattos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Are you the GM?

If "yes", then re-define the tunnel enhancement to permit precisely that. Alternatively, create an enhancement that allows the ambient environment to pass through the tunnel; I'd price it as an additional +100% worth of enhancement. (Cosmic, Cheating, Ambient Pass-Through, +100%)

If "no", ask your GM how they want to handle the request (assuming they are willing to permit it to begin with).
Im not the GM but he is very permissive. To be honest i am more worried about follow the rules than him.

What i like is a portal that can passa whatever i throw inside, people, Stones, cars, building... If fits, can pass. That the logicnim looking for. There is some way to do it? Even with cosmic...a huge amount of points...

Long story short, what i want: a portal that only limitation can be:
Time it keep open
Size of entrance/exit
Fatigue/mana cost
Range of "teleportation"

No limitation on what can pass besides size.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:46 AM   #10
Crystalline_Entity

If it helps, this is my build for an intraplantetary teleportation tunnel, which, as far as I understand, complies with RAW:

Warp (Area Effect 1 (2-yard radius), +50%; Blind Only, -50%; Extended Duration (x3), +20%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Extra Carrying Capacity (Extra-Heavy), +50%; Gyroscopic, +10%; Improved, +10%; Reduced Fatigue Cost 1, +20%; Reliable 15, +75%; Tunnelling (before), +100%) [385]

This also requires a rules-exemption Perk: Can ignore limits on reliable for Warp [1] as it has more than ten levels of Reliable. (This was for a metatronic generator rather than a PC, if that's useful).

To explain some of the modifiers:
  • Area Effect 1 expands the size of the tunnel from SM +0 human to a 2-yard radius circle. You could add Selective Area to modify the shape, if you liked.
  • Fixed Duration changes the 3d duration to a fixed 10 seconds, then Extended Duration multiplies that by three for a tunnel open for 30 seconds
  • Extra-Carrying Capacity (Extra-Heavy) removes the mass limit from the tunnel as per my interpretation of Kromm
  • Reduced Fatigue Cost 1 removes the 1 FP cost of Warp.
  • Reliable 15 offsets the -5 from Blind Only, and then any range penalties up to -10 (1,000,000 miles), giving this a whole-planet range, including any Moons.

Note that I interpret that Kromm quote as saying "this removes the mass limit" from Tunnel; it has the same cost as "Cosmic, +50%" if you prefer that.

This creates a 4-yard diameter tunnel which lasts for 30 seconds, long enough for the PCs to drive a land rover through, or lead their horses. Any amount of mass can pass through it to a location within 1,000,000 miles without penalty. It costs no FP, and any remaining levels of Reliable can be used to open the portal more quickly than the 30-second default from Warp.

I've not seen anything in RAW, but I've assumed Tunnels are two-way, i.e. matter can pass in both directions. I'm not sure if this is actually true though (it feels like one-way is a +0% feature having about equal utility).

Last edited by Crystalline_Entity; 05-18-2021 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Fixing range limit
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote