Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #1
scc
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

Just what it says in the title, normally Magic Resistance only protects you from spells that are resistible, but how would Area Effect change this?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:08 AM   #2
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

It would count as a penalty to any caster within the area who cast spells, regardless of the target.
Not really much extra utility since Regular spells are typically cast pretty close to the target and you would need a large area to encompass those using Missile spells who prefer to attack from farther away.
More useful in a dungeon where they have to be close anyhow though.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned
 
evileeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 100 hurricane swamp
Default Re: Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
It would count as a penalty to any caster within the area who cast spells, regardless of the target.
Would it?

This seems like a suspiciously easy way to cripple enemy mages.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
Culture20
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default Re: Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
It would count as a penalty to any caster within the area who cast spells, regardless of the target.
Wouldn’t it need “affects others” first?

To the OP: keep in mind that most missile spells create a physical effect that is no longer considered magic (fire/lightning/rocks/etc), unlike that other game.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

It would need Force Field with Affects Others and Area Effect to impact magic that crosses its border, but it has no impact within its borders (Powers, p. 107-108). For an area effect like what the poster wants, you need Mana Damper.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Wouldn’t it need “affects others” first?

To the OP: keep in mind that most missile spells create a physical effect that is no longer considered magic (fire/lightning/rocks/etc), unlike that other game.
I thought about that and would not object to it. But that would also add to thier resistance roll.
So just as an area that acts as a penalty to all spells cast from within the area seems about right.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
starslayer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default Re: Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

Magic resistance only affects resistable spells. Adding area effect would make it harder to affect things in your proximity, but that still leaves a lot of options and will be subject to a lot of gm interpretation.

If you want to make casting magic harder you need mana damper, and/ may still need enough area to get the mage inside it.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Magic resistance only affects resistable spells. Adding area effect would make it harder to affect things in your proximity, but that still leaves a lot of options and will be subject to a lot of gm interpretation.

If you want to make casting magic harder you need mana damper, and/ may still need enough area to get the mage inside it.
MagicResistance does add to your resistance (for which I think Affects others would be needed) but it also lowers the effective skill for those casting a spell on a target with it. Not just resisted spells but also healing, information, etc.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
ravenfish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Default Re: Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
MagicResistance does add to your resistance (for which I think Affects others would be needed) but it also lowers the effective skill for those casting a spell on a target with it. Not just resisted spells but also healing, information, etc.
But bear in mind that missile spells, etc., are considered to be cast on one's own hand when the missile is created, not cast on the eventual target at which it is thrown, so will never take any skill penalties from magic resistance of the "target".
__________________
I predicted GURPS:Dungeon Fantasy several hours before it came out and all I got was this lousy sig.
ravenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #10
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Would Magic Resistence With Area Effect Protect Me From All Magic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
But bear in mind that missile spells, etc., are considered to be cast on one's own hand when the missile is created, not cast on the eventual target at which it is thrown, so will never take any skill penalties from magic resistance of the "target".
See my response earlier in this thread. If its an area and it acts as a sort of limited mana damper it would if the caster is in the area.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.