Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
jason taylor

Default Size of Brubecks

Starports says Brubecks has 200 "units". What does that mean? Does it really mean that it has one establishment on each of 200 worlds? Or that there are 200 worlds on which it happens to have estableshments, which might include more then one in a given starport?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Default Re: Size of Brubecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Starports says Brubecks has 200 "units". What does that mean? Does it really mean that it has one establishment on each of 200 worlds? Or that there are 200 worlds on which it happens to have estableshments, which might include more then one in a given starport?
First of all, you get a much more believable figure if you assume that there's a 0 missing and the total is 2000.

Otherwise, yes, I read the text as meaning that there is one Brubek's in each starport in 2000 systems. The alternative is to assume that when the text says 'unit' it actually means 'franchise'.

Now that you bring it up, the concept is perhaps one of those that require a more than average dose of suspension of disbelief if you think about it. So perhaps one shouldn't think about it. ;-)

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
First of all, you get a much more believable figure if you assume that there's a 0 missing and the total is 2000.

Otherwise, yes, I read the text as meaning that there is one Brubek's in each starport in 2000 systems. The alternative is to assume that when the text says 'unit' it actually means 'franchise'.

Now that you bring it up, the concept is perhaps one of those that require a more than average dose of suspension of disbelief if you think about it. So perhaps one shouldn't think about it. ;-)

Hans
Well the wording is, "Half are in Solimani space, 20 in the Sword Worlds and the rest scattered throughout the Imperium", and of course the Swordies don't have 200 worlds.

So maybe, one should use the second choice. Or as you say, simply not think about it.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Well the wording is, "Half are in Solimani space, 20 in the Sword Worlds and the rest scattered throughout the Imperium", and of course the Swordies don't have 200 worlds.
My suggestion would work out as 1000 in Solomani space, 1000 in Imperial space, and 20 in the Sword Worlds (taking these figures as round numbers rather than exact numbers).

The strain on my SoD is more in regards to the economic soundness of a company with the interstellar activity described for Brubek's based on 200 (or 2000) fast food outlets.

Hans
Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
jason taylor

Quote:
My suggestion would work out as 1000 in Solomani space, 1000 in Imperial space, and 20 in the Sword Worlds (taking these figures as round numbers rather than exact numbers).

The strain on my SoD is more in regards to the economic soundness of a company with the interstellar activity described for Brubek's based on 200 (or 2000) fast food outlets.

Hans
How many outlets does a typical high profile company on Earth pre-confederation era(say Starbucks or MacDonalds) have?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
jason taylor

Quote:

Hans
Of course in the Imperium at least some businesses must have been founded by patronage rather then having to survive the free market.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
How many outlets does a typical high profile company on Earth pre-confederation era(say Starbucks or MacDonalds) have?
I have no idea. I just think that the activities described for Brubek's seems a bit elaborate for a single outlet per system.

Hans
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Of course in the Imperium at least some businesses must have been founded by patronage rather then having to survive the free market.
That just shifts the burden of explanation to why someone would subsidize Brubek'ses. TANSTAAMTNIPF (There ain't no such thing as a meal that nobody is paying for). An explanation that raises a new question isn't much good.

Hans
Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
jason taylor

Quote:
That just shifts the burden of explanation to why someone would subsidize Brubek'ses. TANSTAAMTNIPF (There ain't no such thing as a meal that nobody is paying for). An explanation that raises a new question isn't much good.

Hans
Brubecks as described, isn't just a quick stop to fuel up toiling grunts. It is a deliberately designed Third Place, and it's main product isn't beer but sentiment. I could see a noble patronizing something like that just like he might patronize a baseball team or a library. Perhaps for instance, he is fond of noir, or of ancient sit coms or whatever and wants to recreate it. If then it succeeded at becoming a profitable business so much the better.

Last edited by jason taylor; 03-13-2014 at 10:04 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
woodchuck

Quote:
Worldwide over 34,000 for McDs and 20,184 Starbucks. There’s either a lot more Brubek's or there’s something else going on at the local Bru’s.