Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Splitting Sensitive and Empathy into components?

Greetings, all!

I'm curious: how would one split Sensitive and Empathy into components. Specifically, I'm looking for limitations like
  • Only to get a general 'feel' about the person.
  • Only to identify Reaction Roll results (which may or may not be a subset of a general feel).
  • Only to detect possession/impostors/etc.
  • Only to detect lies*.

I'm not sure whether possession-detection is part of general feel, but I suppose for simplicity the two can be classed as non-intersecting categories.

* Note: please don't offer to 'just buy Detect Lies/Body Language' - if you recommend that, you very likely didn't pay enough attention to the important differences between the way the three work.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 12-11-2014 at 01:02 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: Splitting Sensitive and Empathy into components?

The part where you make an IQ roll to get a "feel" for someone looks like Detect to me, with a limitation to get lied to about it if you fail.

I would then handle the skill bonuses with one of the normal ways of acquiring skill bonuses, probably a Talent or possibly a wildcard.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

An ability to know aspects of people without them expressing such differences would require Mind Reading. If they merely express them too subtly for others to notice under normal circumstances, then I would peg it as some (hyper) specialization of Psychology.

On the face of it any form of detect X sounds like Detect X. As that's painfully obvious, I doubt that's what you wanted as a suggestion.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

I'm curious: how would one split Sensitive and Empathy into components. Specifically, I'm looking for limitations like
  • Only to get a general 'feel' about the person.
  • Only to detect possession/impostors/etc.
  • Only to detect lies*.
This is the kind of idea I don't understand. How could you get a general feel about someone and not notice when they have been replaced with a totally different person? They aren't separate functions in the first place. As for just detecting lies...buy more detect lies.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
This is the kind of idea I don't understand. How could you get a general feel about someone and not notice when they have been replaced with a totally different person? They aren't separate functions in the first place. As for just detecting lies...buy more detect lies.
This isn't John, vs. John's mind controlled to act non-John like vs. John is having a major personality change.

In 1985 around February, my personality changed so much that if anyone even slightly believed in the supernatural or alien abductions, they would emphatically state I had been replaced.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
This is the kind of idea I don't understand. How could you get a general feel about someone and not notice when they have been replaced with a totally different person? They aren't separate functions in the first place.
Say if the feel about John was 'a traitorous and selfish kind of person', and the one who replaced him is also a 'traitorous and selfish kind of person'.

Quote:
As for just detecting lies...buy more detect lies.
Why are you offering me Detect Lies if the note about it and Empathy working quite differently was in the OP from the very beginning?

Tags
empathy, icwic, limitations