Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
nerdvana

Default Checking Trigger Pricing

Trigger costs are based on rarity (as shown on p. 115)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Characters, p. 115
Very Common (available almost anywhere): -10%.
Common (expensive, somewhat hard to find): -20%.
Occasional (very expensive and hard to find): -30%.
Rare (cannot be bought; must be found or made): -40%.
So I'm thinking of two specific triggers and trying to figure out the right pricing. One would be having "broken bread" with the individual you are using the power on (i.e. having had a meal with them); I'm thinking this might be a common trigger. The other would be having known the target for at least a day (it being at least 24 hours since you met them and your having spent at least 60 minutes interacting with them in that 24 hour period, this would not need to be cumulative); this also I am thinking would also be common.

On the second one there could be a spectrum also...

Triggered by Familiarity with Target
Anyone you have encountered, even for an instant: -0%
Anyone you've met in the last hour and interacted with for a few minutes: -10%
Anyone you've met in the last day and interacted with for a few hours: -20%
Anyone you've known for at last a week and interacted with for a few hours at least three times: -30%
Anyone you've known for a month or more and had interactions with on a regular basis: -40%

So, the question is... does anyone see a problem with those numbers for these two types of triggers?
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Checking Trigger Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
So, the question is... does anyone see a problem with those numbers for these two types of triggers?
Well, first off - those aren't Triggers unless the intent is the minute you break bread with someone, your power goes off (and etc). Triggers are like Popeye eating his canned spinach and instantly gaining super-strength. What you're describing is an Accessability restricting the kinds of people you can use it on.

This will be worth less than a Trigger, because a Trigger strictly limits you to exactly when you can arrange the trigger.

Your chart is smashing together two different scales of limitation:
* How long has it been since I last encountered them
* How familiar do I have to be with them.

Those are two different "axis" and I'd value them separately, not squooshed together like that; it'll make it less confusing.

Note that the limitation, regardless of how you implement it, isn't going to let you target people your power couldn't already target (say, range or line of sight limitations) and it will still take penalties for range, visibility, whatever that it would normally take. Removing those are separate enhancements.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
Anders

Could be interesting to having to sacrifice a relationship to use a power, though. Yeah, you can save the day - but it will cost you your best friend.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
a Trigger strictly limits you to exactly when you can arrange the trigger.
Also, Triggers are consumed on each activation. You can only become familiar (etc) with someone once, and you're presumably familiar with them forever after. This sounds more like an Accessibility to me.

The percentages there aren't very useful guidelines, since it's not really a case of becoming familiar with X% of all the people of the world, but rather all the people in the adventures you're going to have.

A little tricky to guesstimate a single value. "Only people you've known for a day" isn't much of a limitation for your party buff powers, much though it might impair your anti-mook attacks.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
nerdvana

Quote:
Well, first off - those aren't Triggers unless the intent is the minute you break bread with someone, your power goes off (and etc). Triggers are like Popeye eating his canned spinach and instantly gaining super-strength. What you're describing is an Accessability restricting the kinds of people you can use it on.
OMG, you are so right. That was a fail, thanks....

Quote:
This will be worth less than a Trigger, because a Trigger strictly limits you to exactly when you can arrange the trigger.
Right, definitely want this to be an Accessibility, not a Trigger.

Quote:
Your chart is smashing together two different scales of limitation:
* How long has it been since I last encountered them
* How familiar do I have to be with them.

Those are two different "axis" and I'd value them separately, not squooshed together like that; it'll make it less confusing.
Its not how long since you last encountered them, that was not meant to be there at all. Its basically all about how familiar you are with them as I'll address in a re-written/rewording in another post.

Quote:
Note that the limitation, regardless of how you implement it, isn't going to let you target people your power couldn't already target (say, range or line of sight limitations) and it will still take penalties for range, visibility, whatever that it would normally take. Removing those are separate enhancements.
Right. This is a touch-based (Melee,-30%), Malediction (+100%) affliction so that is covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Could be interesting to having to sacrifice a relationship to use a power, though. Yeah, you can save the day - but it will cost you your best friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Also, Triggers are consumed on each activation. You can only become familiar (etc) with someone once, and you're presumably familiar with them forever after. This sounds more like an Accessibility to me.
Yeah, not my intention... was just keying on the Triggering Condition and hadn't though of the fact that this would be an Accessibility.

Quote:
The percentages there aren't very useful guidelines, since it's not really a case of becoming familiar with X% of all the people of the world, but rather all the people in the adventures you're going to have.

A little tricky to guesstimate a single value. "Only people you've known for a day" isn't much of a limitation for your party buff powers, much though it might impair your anti-mook attacks.
Right, I think the revision I'm going to write up will make more sense... and I should state in that revision that this is not allowable for buff powers.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
nerdvana

Revised "Triggered by Familiarity with Target" (an Accessibility Limitation)
  • Anyone you encounter (100% of people you could target): -0%
  • Anyone you have exchanged brief words/pleasantries with. (Call that ~90% of people you could target?): -5%
  • Anyone who has introduced themselves to you (with a real name*) OR who you have spoken with for a few minutes (say 15 minutes or more?). (Call this ~70% of the people you could target with the power?) -10%
  • Anyone who has given you their name* and another identification unique to them (social security number in the US, military serial number, personal cell phone number, etc.) OR who you have spoken with at length (say an a half hour or more). (Call that ~60% of the people you could target with the power) -15%
  • Acquaintances. -20%
  • Friends, enemies OR distant relatives. -25%
  • Close friends, long term enemies OR relatives you spend a lot of time with but who are not immediate family members. -30%
  • Long term friends, immediate family members. -35%
  • Loved ones, (true) best friends. -40%
* If they have used a false identity this does not count. This is not the same as a True Name, just the name of a true identity (Superman would count if he introduced himself as Clark Kent, Kal-El or Superman for example. In some interpretations Batman would not count if he had only given you the name Bruce Wayne however!)

It is important to note that this limitation is expressly forbidden for "buff powers" because you are more likely to use them on individuals you know than those you do not know. While the descriptions got shorter at the -20% and lower levels this is still about how well you know the person, so there is some interpretation in the application of this.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
Bramble Thorn

Even though it is not what you were thinking of, this would be good for a biblical style blessing (or curse) where for an angel/saint/fairy, where sharing a meal with them has supernatural effects.

Quote:
Also, Triggers are consumed on each activation.
This is untrue. A reusable trigger is half the value of a consumable one.
Bramble Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
Anaraxes

[QUOTE=Bramble This is untrue. A reusable trigger is half the value of a consumable one.[/QUOTE]You're right. "Consumed" was a bad word choice.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations, trigger