Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: If you ran a campaign in your vicinity, what would it be?

But I'd heard that all the things happen there. ;)
Old 04-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #12
Whitestreak

I could see a western game centered around Sutter's Fort and the Gold Rush era (or the immediate aftermath including the building of the Transcontinental Railroad) - not that far from where I live in Elk Grove, CA.

I tried to get a Dresden Files game going, but the players faded away due to real life things - moving, new jobs, etc.

I also think a game set in John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" zombie-type world would be interesting in or around Yosemite.

Last edited by Whitestreak; 04-16-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Did the last sentence different
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #13
David Johnston2

I live in Western Canada so nothing remotely interesting ever happened anywhere within a thousand miles of me. Seriously the brief attention my school paid to history was entirely "the life of a settler was filled with cold and starvation. It was all snow, mud, dust and lucusts". If I cast my net wider then I suppose I could fictionalize the Klondike Gold Rush into something playable. It was good enough for Jack London and Robert Service. I've also considered setting something in a fantasy setting based on the stories gathered by a 19th century German anthropologist from the Indians of the Pacific Northwest. So two headed snakes, brain-eating grandmas, animals that turn into humans and vice versa, and rivers infested with man-eating squid.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #14
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Apart from the famous farmer fisticuffs I'd run......eh............uh.....has something interesting and gameable happened in Icelandic history?
There was our heroic struggle for independence, conducted through the novel means of writing official correspondence until exhausted Danish bureaucrats got tired of having to answer all those letters because of an unproductive colony.

As a historical game, it would probably lack some of the sense of adventure provided by wilder eras.

"I continue my fierce struggle, undaunted at the vast forces arrayed against me by the foreign imperialists!"
"Roll against Administration."
"Can I use Writing as a Complimentary Skill?"
"Yes. Do you want to take Extra Time for a bonus?"
"Might as well. They won't receive it for weeks anyway."
Old 04-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #15
jason taylor

Cozy mystery. Oregon has so many, well cozy, places, to make a cozy in.

Summer wildfire. It is a yearly event in Oregon, and a dramatic enough one for a campaign.

Coastal fishing and trading. Perhaps an old time lumber schooner.

Those are just some thoughts.

An Old West game is a possibility. Oregon was a more "respectable" old west compared with the desert west or the mining country. There were a few colorful things that happened. Chief Joseph's Retreat was near enough to touch on the game. There was also the Cayuse war. John McLaughlin built his fort only so far from here. Joe Meek, the legendary lawman ruled the roost somewhere around Oregon.

On the whole I think I would choose either a cozy mystery or a wildfire game.

Last edited by jason taylor; 04-16-2017 at 09:25 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #16
Buzzardo

I'm from Wyoming and in Texas. The obvious choice is Old West. The less obvious choice is what happened when the first white explorers met the natives (pre-Old West). In WY, that was mostly the fur traders. In TX, it was the Spanish. It didn't go well either time, which should make for plenty of role-playing opportunities.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #17
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I live in Western Canada so nothing remotely interesting ever happened anywhere within a thousand miles of me.
Weren't some of Sterling Lanier's novels set up there -- the ones that form part of the inspiration for D&D and Gamma World?

Saddle up your riding moose!
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #18
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Apart from the famous farmer fisticuffs I'd run......eh............uh.....has something interesting and gameable happened in Icelandic history?
You mean aside from making a stab at reinventing democracy, almost making a colony in the new world, and making some of the greatest literature in Western history? Not to mention being an important airstop in World War 2 and the Cold War? Nah.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #19
quarkstomper

I've never run a campaign set here where I live. The closest I've come is supernatural campaign set in Milwaukee, and an alien invasion campaign set in Northern Wisconsin.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #20
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
Weren't some of Sterling Lanier's novels set up there -- the ones that form part of the inspiration for D&D and Gamma World?

Saddle up your riding moose!
Morse. Yeah, Hiero country is about 1100 or 1200 miles from me. I'm about half way between Red River and the Klondike but a bit closer to the Klondike.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaigns, history