Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 01-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
The Horn'd One

Default Re: The Old Car Wars Novels/Stories - Any good?

Just a little FYI here, if anyone needs the titles & authors;

The Square Deal by David Drake
Double Jeopardy: Car Warriors 2 by Aaron Alston
Back From Hell by Mick Farron

Battle Road by Steve Jackson
Fuel's Gold by Steve Jackson and Creede & Sharleen Lambard
Duel Track by Scott Haring
Badlands Run by Creede & Sharleen Lambard
Green Cicle Blues by Scott Haring
Mean Streets by W. G. Armintrout

After doing a search on Ebay, most of these books are available, but pushing prices of $70-$100 and more.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #12
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

I'd advise you to look for bargains. None of these, even my own, is IMHO $70 worth of joy and enlightenment. Good reads, yes. $70, omg.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #13
jcfiala

I think my favorite Car Wars story was "And of Course, It Was Black", from ADQ 7/3
jcfiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #14
43Supporter

I confess: I have been trying to convince a publisher I'm familiar with to get in touch with SJG about doing a "proper" book printing of the ADQ fiction, because dang it, I want all the Bialy stories in one place.... :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #15
The Horn'd One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I'd advise you to look for bargains. None of these, even my own, is IMHO $70 worth of joy and enlightenment. Good reads, yes. $70, omg.
I agree with you. It's just that sometimes Ebay does have overinflated prices.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #16
ColBosch

I quite enjoyed Double Jeopardy, and am planning on getting my third (!) copy soon. Aaron Allston, being one of the O.G. Car Wars contributors, is quite allowed to bend the setting to tell a fun story. Besides that I found it very readable, I was impressed that a) the plot requires a particular aspect of the universe to work, and b) you don't need to be a deep fan of the universe to understand the plot.

...and to this day, I still use "Hi! I'm Jedediah! Can I fix yore car?" when mimicking genial idiocy.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:25 AM   #17
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I quite enjoyed Double Jeopardy, and am planning on getting my third (!) copy soon. Aaron Allston, being one of the O.G. Car Wars contributors, is quite allowed to bend the setting to tell a fun story. Besides that I found it very readable, I was impressed that a) the plot requires a particular aspect of the universe to work, and b) you don't need to be a deep fan of the universe to understand the plot.

...and to this day, I still use "Hi! I'm Jedediah! Can I fix yore car?" when mimicking genial idiocy.
Yes I thoughly enjoyed it to . Not many copies crossed over to the UK , but I managed to pick up one in the old Forbidden Planet store on Oxford Street .
It only cost as about £3.20 in early/mid '90's , which I considered extremely cheap - many paperback novels at Planet were straight Dollars-to-Pounds conversions & add on further 'clearance discounts' & some amazing bargains could be had . A friend bought about three copies around a year later for £2 at same store & distributed the spares as Christmas Presents to CW playing friends .

I've still got Car Warriors #1-4 & a few spares of the other issues ( mainly #1 ) for later resale .

I've been very surprised that there isn't more Car Wars stories on Fan Fiction ?

One series that would have been great to upload was those that the late 'Matt the Hatt' wrote & had on his CW webpages . Unless someone else downloaded or has hardcopies , they've been lost since 2007 when page became unavailable .
His 'Mr Copper & Mr Steel' stories based on his & our groups Mercenary characters were hilarious ! The 'rotor blade incident' which actually happened in one of our games , was included in 'The Stag Beetle & The Terminators' story .
Happy times ...
Old 01-20-2018, 03:39 AM   #18
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
One series that would have been great to upload was those that the late 'Matt the Hatt' wrote & had on his CW webpages . Unless someone else downloaded or has hardcopies , they've been lost since 2007 when page became unavailable .
His 'Mr Copper & Mr Steel' stories based on his & our groups Mercenary characters were hilarious ! The 'rotor blade incident' which actually happened in one of our games , was included in 'The Stag Beetle & The Terminators' story .
Happy times ...
Have you tried waybackmachine to access it? It doesn't always work, but sometimes you get lucky.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #19
owenmp

Battle Road and Fuel's Gold were the first two Car Wars items I ever purchased. They were my gateway items into Car Wars.

The six Car Wars Adventure Gamebooks, especially Battle Road and Fuel's Gold, were excellent representations of the Autoduel America gameworld. Playing the Gamebooks before playing Car Wars made learning the Car Wars rules easier.

Although not written for Car Wars, the fiction below is essential to read for any dedicated fan of Car Wars.

* Why Johnny Can't Speed by Alan Dean Foster
* Devil Car by Roger Zelazny
* Last of the Wild Ones (Devil Car Part 2) by Roger Zelazny
* Damnation Alley (short story and novel) by Roger Zelazny
* Along the Scenic Route by Harlan Ellison
* X Marks the Pedwalk by Fritz Leiber
* The Racer by Ib Melchior
* Duel by Richard Matheson
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #20
owenmp

Veteran Car Wars author Chris Burke (@mrburkemath on Twitter) has posted a short piece of Car Wars fiction on reddit.

Writing Prompt[WP]

You are stuck in a story that you wrote. You have full manipulation of everything that happens in said universe, which causes you to wonder whether you should say there permanently.

Comments by xwhy

https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingProm...e_you/dt492ye/
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote