Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-02-2020, 02:54 AM   #1
FireHorse

Default More Postcard Labyrinths…?

Can these become a regular feature? I would like to see a Labyrinth of the Month Club, with both digital (PDF) and print (actual postcard, mailed to you) subscription options.

I wouldn't object to another Postcard Labyrinth Contest, either. I missed my shot the first time, and I have ideas that are burning a hole in my head… so to speak.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
Terquem

Default Re: More Postcard Labyrinths…?

If I wasn't so afraid of making rules errors, I would try to do the encounters in my story as postcard encounters.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terquem View Post
If I wasn't so afraid of making rules errors, I would try to do the encounters in my story as postcard encounters.

There are no rules errors, only "happy accidents". If the GM says it, it's the rule. Post (card) away!

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
ParadoxGames

I'd actually like to make a few as actual postcards. Actually, I may be the one to blame for the postcard contest submissions being actual postcards.

When Hexagram 1 was in crowdfunding, postcard adventures were listed as a stretch goal. Some members of the TFT Discord were mentioning how those were a blast from the past and explained them. I was intrigued by the concept so I went on to make my first postcard adventure.... my first ANY adventure. I was more into the Ogre types of games and not a roleplayer, before TFT's rerelease. I made an adventure, made a revised edition, and said on Discord on March 7th, I also decided to send my postcard adventure to SJ... as an actual postcard!

Somewhere, SJ games announced a contest and I decided not to wait for the rules. I sent it in long before the official rules were released, hence my submission being postcard #1 in the book. You can read on the adventure #1 card in the postcard adventure pdf that I decided not to wait for rules! I was too anxious. This explains why postcard #1 is like a full scenario, and doesn't conform to the rule that the map must be buildable from the Legacy Edition's megahex pack!

I love the contest and hope there are more!
Old 02-03-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Shadekeep

Pretty nifty idea. If SJ Games gives the go-ahead you could probably run such a project yourself, as long as it's not branded as an official TFT product. That's what I did with my Dungeon Of The Month effort last year.

I suspect that within the first month or so one would have enough good material submitted for a year's worth of postcards.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
larsdangly

If there is more of this sort of thing in the future (whoever is the motivator), I think it would be cool to facilitate it with some sort of pre-formatted card, where lines of text, some headings and an area with a feint hex overlay make it into a sort of 'plug and play' exercise. That way what we'll end up with will have a self-consistent look and format.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #7
hcobb

My mistake was sticking with Landscape layout.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
If there is more of this sort of thing in the future (whoever is the motivator), I think it would be cool to facilitate it with some sort of pre-formatted card, where lines of text, some headings and an area with a feint hex overlay make it into a sort of 'plug and play' exercise. That way what we'll end up with will have a self-consistent look and format.
I could bash up a set of templates if there's interest. I laid out my card in a graphics program and could easily turn that into a standard layout. Could provide a few variants with different sized hex grids and text areas. If someone runs with this, just let me know if you want templates.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #9
larsdangly

It would make a difference (to me at least). I really like the general concept, which is sort on the same continuum as the small dungeon maps Dyson Logos puts out on his web site. But it only works when everyone understands the scope and format.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #10
Shadekeep

Posted the templates here.