Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
mook

Default Unofficial "The Fantasy Trip" Discord Server

Howdy, folks!

A couple of years back, I set up an unofficial fan-created Discord server for GURPS (see sig), and it was a great success. There are daily conversations about rules questions, house rules, world building, character ideas, even "Looking for Group" channels and a spreadsheet where people can arrange to play online -- basically, a place for GURPS fans to geek out and enjoy the company of like-minded gamers in real-time chat (text or voice).

So, since I am really, really looking forward to the release of the Kickstarted Legacy version of The Fantasy Trip, I thought I would set up the same for TFT. While I have never played it, I've browsed through the originals of some of my players and can clearly see the ur-GURPS that lurks beneath. I can't wait! And I would love to see the conversations unfold between long-time fans and enthusiastic newcomers like myself to better prepare for the launch.

Discord isn't great for long-term archiving and searching of posts, which is what these wonderful forums excel at. But it is great for chatting with other Fantasy Trippers (is that a thing?) in real-time back-and-forth.

Please note that, as with the GURPS server, I've modeled the community there after the official forums here, i.e., the server is intended as SFW (Safe for Work), with three simple rules paraphrased as "Don't attack people, Don't encourage piracy or link illegal materials, and Don't use profanity or post NSFW content." Pretty simple, really. (While there is clearly a strong fan base of TFT grognards, I feel like the simplicity of the game makes it well-suited for younger gamers too; hence, the NSFW ban.)

I hope you'll check it out, find it useful, and have some chuckles. I'm looking forward to picking your brains and basking in all things Fantasy Trip before we all finally have the modern version in our hands!

The server lives here: https://discord.gg/rm7n3Fd. Enjoy!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
mook

Default Re: Unofficial "The Fantasy Trip" Discord Server

Oopsie! It was just brought to my attention that a previous thread already mentioned a Discord server. Really wish I had read that before spending the morning on setup lol, my bad.

As the invite link in that thread is showing "Invalid" to me and I'm unable to join, I'll leave the server I set up active until we see what shakes out. Was anyone able to successfully join the ParadoxGames server?

Last edited by mook; 08-08-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #3
zuljita

I can vouch for mook as a great administrator of the unofficial GURPS discord. I've joined his for now. Can't get into the other one anyway.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
mook

Thanks, Zuljita.

It's been 10 days, so I figure I'll forge ahead with the server I set up. The usual announcements have been made, it's been linked/integrated to the main Game Geekery site, etc.

Feel free to spread the word any places I may have missed, and I hope to see you around the server! (direct link in .sig, or see the home page first.)
Old 08-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
mook

I've posted the below announcement to the Discord mentioned here. Hope to see everyone over at Tollenkar's server instead!

Quote:
ANNOUNCEMENT

With the return now of Tollenkar/Paradox Games to his The Fantasy Trip Discord, there seems little point in maintaining this one as well, since I find it unlikely the TFT fan community needs more than a single server. I'm just calling this work a wash and migrating over.

I hope you'll join me! Tollenkar's server is a bit more active, and already has Steve Jackson and Phil Reed among its members, so I'm hopeful it will serve all of our needs well.

https://discord.gg/Z7AtdCe

Thank you all for joining and chatting here. I will leave this server up for a few more days so you can archive any conversations you might want to save, and so offline members can see this announcement. I will also update the SJG forum posts to note the closure.

Can't wait for the Kickstarter release!

Last edited by mook; 08-18-2018 at 06:28 PM.