Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #21
warellis

Default Re: From TL9^ interplanetary to TL10^ interstellar space opera in 200 years or less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
That's a retcon to move the date safely into the future. At the time, Star Trek's future history had us launching interstellar colonization ventures in the 1990s.
I thought the "interstellar colonization" was "send crazy madman and his followers off-planet on sublight ship?" As in Khan was able to escape?

Also has there been a retcon on that actually?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #22
Refplace

Default Re: From TL9^ interplanetary to TL10^ interstellar space opera in 200 years or less?

One thing I havent read here that I think is important is how good the FTL is.
If its really fast you dont need as many ships and can build up faster.
if its slower or requires more expensive resources than it will take more time to build up a colony.

I would go with a few STl reactionless ships doing exploration and colonization with larger ships or embryonic seeding.
Later than you get the FTl so you can have a few different types out there.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 AM   #23
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
One thing I havent read here that I think is important is how good the FTL is.
If its really fast you dont need as many ships and can build up faster.
if its slower or requires more expensive resources than it will take more time to build up a colony.

I would go with a few STl reactionless ships doing exploration and colonization with larger ships or embryonic seeding.
Later than you get the FTl so you can have a few different types out there.
I was thinking that FTL trips to most candidate-worlds take from a couple of weeks to a few months, depending on distance and drive quality/number.

I also think that it's easiest to make STL irrelevant in this scenario (due to hyperspace mapping mismatching realspace mapping, due to reactionless drives not being able to get past a certain potential energy limit, due to distances involved etc.).
Old 02-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Also has there been a retcon on that actually?
Sort of, but it was apparently an error. In Doctor Bashir, I Presume dialog places the Eugenics Wars in the 22nd century, but Moore has said this wasn't deliberate but just rather bad math.

Notably though the Future's End Voyager two-parter takes place in a 1990s without significant obvious differences from our own. Apparently there is a novel series that tries to reconcile this with contemporary but covert Eugenics Wars.

Several Enterprise episodes reference the Eugenics Wars as late 20th century, as well.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #25
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Sort of, but it was apparently an error. In Doctor Bashir, I Presume dialog places the Eugenics Wars in the 22nd century, but Moore has said this wasn't deliberate but just rather bad math.

Notably though the Future's End Voyager two-parter takes place in a 1990s without significant obvious differences from our own. Apparently there is a novel series that tries to reconcile this with contemporary but covert Eugenics Wars.

Several Enterprise episodes reference the Eugenics Wars as late 20th century, as well.
They were. There was never much question in the original TOS that the Eugenics Wars were waged in the 1990s, it was specifically stated. It was never made entirely clear (in TOS) if the Eugenics Wars and World War III (both of which are referenced specifically in TOS) are parts of the same thing, or just how they were related, if they were, or just what.

I remember that novel about 'covert' EW, IIRC it had Gary Seven in it. But I only skimmed it, I didn't consider it worth the trouble.

Some continuity conflicts cannot be reconciled, the background of TOS and the background of the rest of the Trek franchise just aren't compatible. The Eugenics Wars weren't covert conflicts or conspiratorial proxy struggles, they were open wars against and between the kingdoms ruled by Khan and his ilk, and they happened in the 1990s, as a basic part of the pre-series history.

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 02-07-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

Wouldn't the same reason for changes among Terminator, Doctor Who, and other shows work for ST? Time travelers, time wars, timey-wimey, etc.?

An episode of Voyager suggests that the computer explosion of integrated circuits were the direct result of someone finding a time lost ship in the 1960s, making "our history" an altered one.

Tags
colonization, development, space opera, tl10, tl9, ultra-tech