Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
Tzeentch

Default Re: Are GURPS Tech Books released in wrong order / badly planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
But more to the OP—if we were in agreement regarding the need for some UT Compendiums, what make the best use of the (figurative) paper it's printed on? What might be the easiest to write? A focus on (FREX) personal weapon development, or a snapshot of TLn? Would there even be enough material to justify its own book, or would it make more sense to continue to dole it out, piecemeal, as it has been, in various Pyramid articles?
-- It's not in an Ultra-Tech Companion line, but Psi-Tech and Transhuman Space: Martial Arts 2100 both have elements of this. Reign of Steel: Will to Live also can serve as an compendium of additional robot designs.
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #22
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
-- It's not in an Ultra-Tech Companion line, but Psi-Tech and Transhuman Space: Martial Arts 2100 both have elements of this. Reign of Steel: Will to Live also can serve as an compendium of additional robot designs.
I should also note that the sales of Psi-Tech and Transhuman Space: Martial Arts 2100 have both not been so spectacular (so far) that I'm super-convinced there's a huge demand for similar supplements . . . especially given how expensive tech supplements are to get right.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #23
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
I should also note that the sales of Psi-Tech and Transhuman Space: Martial Arts 2100 have both not been so spectacular (so far) that I'm super-convinced there's a huge demand for similar supplements . . . especially given how expensive tech supplements are to get right.
Both of those are much more niche products than a general UT Companion (similar to the Low Tech Companions) would be, though.

If the UT companions were as applicable and general as the LT companions, you'd probably see sales on the same order as the LT companions (modified for the difference in popularity between UT and LT, of course).
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #24
Daeglan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Well I just got Martial Arts 2100...It was on my list...I just had to wait till pay day.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #25
Refplace

Yeah I got the martial arts supplement was cheap enough and hoping for some new stuff I could use even though I haven't picked up TS.
Psi tech is on my list but money been real tight lately so it will have to wait.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #26
SolemnGolem

I got the 4th ed. update booklets for THS and Reign of Steel. I seem to recall one of them had a bit of blurb that said something along the lines of "these stats will differ slightly from the UT stats".

I'm okay with that, but I think it's indicative that UT seems speculative enough that each campaign setting will likely have to make their own determinations of canon - to an extent that's larger than non-UT settings.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #27
Classic Uncle Sam

I do not own BIO, UT, or LT. I do own HT and think it is just great.

Browsing through this thread, taking note of the comments about UT, I wonder:

What if UT companions were written where a page or two is given over to making an assumption on a specific facet of a future society. Then the rest of the pages are goodies that support that assumption's cultivation.

You could have tons of "companions" that way and if they are based on properly defined and diverse ideas you could essentially mix and match companions to create a "future." With enough ideas fleshed out you could create a lot of combinations. Still should work with the main UT book as well since a lot of definitions and what not will/should be referenced.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #28
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
I got the 4th ed. update booklets for THS and Reign of Steel. I seem to recall one of them had a bit of blurb that said something along the lines of "these stats will differ slightly from the UT stats".

I'm okay with that, but I think it's indicative that UT seems speculative enough that each campaign setting will likely have to make their own determinations of canon - to an extent that's larger than non-UT settings.
Yeah that's becasue a lot of UT is Super science so very much a setting switch.
Even if you do allow something you might tweak it so it does not have the same results for the setting to make other things work out the way the setting designer wanted.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #29
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Uncle Sam View Post
What if UT companions were written where a page or two is given over to making an assumption on a specific facet of a future society. Then the rest of the pages are goodies that support that assumption's cultivation.

You could have tons of "companions" that way and if they are based on properly defined and diverse ideas you could essentially mix and match companions to create a "future." With enough ideas fleshed out you could create a lot of combinations. Still should work with the main UT book as well since a lot of definitions and what not will/should be referenced.
Interesting idea.
Sort of like a PowerUps or Thaumatology book. Or Psi tech and Biotech is a more wide focus along the same concept.
GURPS UT Companion ContraGrav! with not only gear and such for societies that have it but notes on the effect it can have on Society if it is commonplace.

I could think of a lot of options and ideas along this line.
Cloning (covers autoduel and Roger Zealazny "Gods of Light and Darkness" for example). Some gear but also a lot on what society might look like.
Holoprojectors and Matter Transmutation might have been a good one for Hollywood to have read......
Reactionless drives, Teleporters, go over various ways they might work and some of the ramifications of each.

Many of these could even be smaller PDFs few would merit the size of PsiTech or Biotech.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #30
Novembermike

If there was a 5th edition GURPS I think you'd want to release the Tech Books in a different order, but I don't feel like the way it was done was actively harmful. There aren't enough things wrong with GURPS to really need a 5e though, so it's a moot point right now.
Novembermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bio-tech, high-tech, low-tech, spaceships, ultra-tech