Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
RyanW

Default Re: [HT] Small Calibre firepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
You only ever need one shot but it's a good idea to have the extra options:D
And the 30 round magazine in a small calibre pistol must have been JCs idea of convenience - might be a long way from perfect but a lot better than nothing.
One potential problem with weird rounds is the tendency for sensationalism. Those will be "high velocity cop-killer bullets." Not to be confused with "high caliber cop-killer bullets" and the like. Rounds like bog standard 9mm and .40 S&W are a bit harder to scandalize.

If I had a gun (aside from my old youth shotgun, and my grandad's even older .22 rifle), I believe I'd go with a GLOCK 23. However, I'm slowly becoming a bit less gun-happy, and am more likely to spend my home defense budget on things like fire extinguishers and CPR classes.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Fred Brackin

Quote:
And the 30 round magazine in a small calibre pistol must have been JCs idea of convenience - might be a long way from perfect but a lot better than nothing.
You don't appear to grasp that this is so alien compared to anything I can remember Jeff Cooper writing that I think you're confusing him with someone else.

Cooper did not believe in convenience in small caliber pistols in anything I ever read.. He believed in the .45 ACP and the Mozambique Drill.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
Sam Cade

Quote:
And the 30 round magazine in a small calibre pistol must have been JCs idea of convenience
Cooper died in 2006. The PMR-30 didn't show up till 2011.

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
30 round magazine and badly remembered damage but ballpark 5.56mm from a pistol.
It's lighter and significantly less powerful than the 5.56x45mm. As in, about 3/4 the weight and 1/5 the muzzle energy (Varies depending on exact load, of course). It's pretty close to the PDW rounds, but it's a far cry from an actual assault-rifle round.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
Anaraxes

Quote:
the "spreadsheet" is by one of our Forum Guru's).
For this case, I think the name you want is "Douglas Cole".
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post
Cooper died in 2006. The PMR-30 didn't show up till 2011.
Yes, spoilt my year (new job, world cup, site closed for rebuild so I was a floating worker, then JC dies:().

Not saying he recommended the PMR, just the 22WMR round. You're right , though, maybe it was another author in the G&A magazine but if it had been, I wouldn't have reacted with utter amazement.
I'm kinda peeved that I can't find anything, not even my original thread/posts! I had all my G&A "Cooper's Corner" articles in a file, his quotes highlighted. Thought I had scanned them. Can't find either hardcopy or digital:(
But I did find 20+ issues of Epic Illustrated from the early '80s that I had completely forgotten about (Groo!). Silver-lining.

Douglas Cole! I hope you begin to understand how annoyed I am at not remembering names. Anyone put the numbers through DCs spreadsheet? I always mess it up.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
jacobmuller

Found the original posts. He didn't recommend the 22WMR, just a "22 pistol" for home defence and the scout rifle for hunting. The 22WMR turned up when I asked about 22's on the forum.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
jacobmuller

Found an article - JC doesn't recommend the 22 for home defence here so I'll keep hunting. May well be I've misremembered and connected the wrong dots:D
Quote:
And then there is the matter of the shotgun. Some people really need a shotgun, both for home defense and for recreation. So I guess I would expand my minimum list to include a Steyr Scout, a Marlin 39 .22 (particularly an older model without the cross-bolt safety), a compact .22 self-loading pistol and a good-grade self-loading 12-gauge shotgun.
From "Cooper's Must Have Guns", Guns & Ammo, November 2002.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #19
HANS

The .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire does Dmg 2d-1 pi- from a rifle, 1d+2 pi- from a pistol like the PMR-30. This is not a round any sane user would choose for a self-defence weapon, in my opinion.

Cheers

HANS
Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
jacobmuller

Thanks - overly enthusiastic interpretation of its stats in the last thread:D
It must just have slipped into his list as a "must have" for plinking and the shotgun is for home defence.

I tried putting the numbers into DCs spreadsheet and end up with a MV below 1000fps. I'll leave it to the experts.

Any numbers for the 17?

Tags
guns, high-tech