Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2021, 12:25 AM   #1
Kfireblade

Default 8 inch & 10 inch Parrott rifles

So I'm trying to find decent heavy armaments for a SM 11 TL5ish fantasy airship. Hightech unfortunately doesn't get into anything heavier then the Napoleon really which is unfortunate. The heavy Parrott rifles seem like they would be more what I'm looking for, but I have no idea what the damage codes should be.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:34 AM   #2
Willy

Default Re: 8 inch & 10 inch Parrott rifles

There are some nice stats for historical cannons and siege weapons in GURPS Fantasy.

Depending if your airship floats via magic or by lighter than air, a google search for blimp, cargo lifter, zeppelin etc can help. There is a new created passenger blimp for ca 100 passengers, but itīs still not openly on the market and therefore may be under the radar of most people.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:58 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
There are some nice stats for historical cannons and siege weapons in GURPS Fantasy.
Not TL5 guns. The closest it comes to the request is a 24-pounder TL 4 cannon. Massive US Civil War naval/siege cannon are not to be found there.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:09 AM   #4
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post

Depending if your airship floats via magic or by lighter than air, a google search for blimp, cargo lifter, zeppelin etc can help. There is a new created passenger blimp for ca 100 passengers, but itīs still not openly on the market and therefore may be under the radar of most people.
Not that kinda Airship. Building it using spaceship rules and components from spaceships 7: divergent and paranormal tech. Gonna be a huge orichalcum clad ship flying around propelled by a pair of Ether Screws and powered by a caged spirit.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:26 AM   #5
Phil Masters

GURPS Vehicles: Steampunk Conveyances has stats for (along with the TL5 Gatling Gun, Nordenfelt 1" and Hotchkiss 1-pounder and 3-pounder cannons, the TL6 Maxim Gun, and TL6 6-pounders and 12-pounders), TL6 6" and 12" cannons.

(Though in fact, that partly just means that I borrowed from the best. GURPS High-Tech: Adventure Guns has multiple Gatling, Hotchkiss, Nordenfelt and Maxim mechanical rapid-fire guns, and two Hotchkiss cannons - and also a TL6 4" Elswick naval cannon, complete with Spaceships stats.)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:00 AM   #6
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
GURPS Vehicles: Steampunk Conveyances has stats for (along with the TL5 Gatling Gun, Nordenfelt 1" and Hotchkiss 1-pounder and 3-pounder cannons, the TL6 Maxim Gun, and TL6 6-pounders and 12-pounders), TL6 6" and 12" cannons.

(Though in fact, that partly just means that I borrowed from the best. GURPS High-Tech: Adventure Guns has multiple Gatling, Hotchkiss, Nordenfelt and Maxim mechanical rapid-fire guns, and two Hotchkiss cannons - and also a TL6 4" Elswick naval cannon, complete with Spaceships stats.)
I am aware, but all of that is to light. I need TL 5 heavy artillery stats, Like the Parrott rifles I mentioned, which fire 200 & 300 pound shells. GURPS dosen't even seem to have stats for 24 pound howitzers of that period anywhere.

Last edited by Kfireblade; 05-30-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Not that kinda Airship. Building it using spaceship rules and components from spaceships 7: divergent and paranormal tech. Gonna be a huge orichalcum clad ship flying around propelled by a pair of Ether Screws and powered by a caged spirit.
Good to know Iīm working for some time to create a Fantasy / SciFi mix and know now where to look for ideas and rules. By the way GURPS High Tech has some TL 5 canons but the biggest there seems to be a 12 pounder.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I am aware, but all of that is to light. I need TL 5 heavy artillery stats, Like the Parrott rifles I mentioned, which fire 200 & 300 pound shells. GURPS dosen't even seem to have stats for 24 pound howitzers of that period anywhere.
At least in current edition books there's very little coverage of weapons that are much past 'personal scale' at any tech level.

Guns that throw shells heavier than most player characters are, sadly, not the kind of thing that you're likely to find!

Might be able to devise your own, though, from ballistics data. The stickiest stat for things like this tends to be reloading time. Or acc maybe. (It would be rcl, but that's meaningless for such weapons.)
Old 05-30-2021, 04:14 PM   #9
Polydamas

Quote:
So I'm trying to find decent heavy armaments for a SM 11 TL5ish fantasy airship. Hightech unfortunately doesn't get into anything heavier then the Napoleon really which is unfortunate. The heavy Parrott rifles seem like they would be more what I'm looking for, but I have no idea what the damage codes should be.
1) What is the purpose of these armaments, and 2) what is the purpose of stats for them? The damage rules are not the best choice for large vehicles shooting at each other or airships bombarding forts.

I second the suggestion to look at GURPS Spaceships to see if it has weapon-design rules or a generic 20 cm black-powder rifle.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:34 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Gurps Vehicles should be able to get you at least the right damage number, if you have the book.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
high tech, tl 5