Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #11
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Skarg's Tavern Playmat - Coming to Kickstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
In hindsight I could easily use just a quarter of that space and still have a reasonable tavern. On the upside, my tavern map does facilitate social distancing. ^_^
I've been fortunate enough to visit ancient buildings and ruins, and the one consistent that caught my attention was always how cramped the places felt. Much, much smaller than I expected.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #12
madhopper50

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I've been fortunate enough to visit ancient buildings and ruins, and the one consistent that caught my attention was always how cramped the places felt. Much, much smaller than I expected.
That's why they say "you can never go home", you always remember things (as a kid) being bigger than they are.
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #13
Shadekeep

Quote:
Agreed. I've been in a number of frontier and colonial structures here, and the scale is smaller than what one typically visualises. When people were building with logs or quarried stone, every square foot represented a significant cost in physical labor. Even homes and taverns from the industrial age tend to be small and close.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #14
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Your building is 8 hexes by 8 hexes while the map at ITL 168 shows a building with sides that are two and half "10 yard" hexes, which comes to around 19 hexes by 19 hexes.

Was the old tavern burnt down and Skarg was only able to rebuild a quarter of it?
As long as we're being mathematical, that would be less than a fifth of it.

But more to the point - per p. 170, no such actual map exists. This is for the GM's use, and GMs are expected to make it fit their own needs. I started by sketching out a tavern of the size shown on p. 168, and then said "No, that's way too big for Skarg to run without a serious staff." So I downsized it to fit into my story (and the playmat). No fire required; it was GM fiat.
Steve Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #15
Shadekeep

Hopefully the nearby woods contain plants like citronella, peppermint, or lavender, which would be handy for keeping insects pests away from the buildings and bedding. A nice plus for the traveler if so.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #16
madhopper50

And the tables are "6 ft" apart, just in case I guess???!!!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #17
larsdangly

It sounds like this wasn't Steve's rationale, but it also occurred to me that the size of Skarg's on the village scale map might represent the full area of the three related buildings (bar, outhouse, bunk house). That would be close to right.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #18
madhopper50

If the Kickstarter goes well, any plans for future playmats of other village areas?
Old 07-19-2020, 05:03 PM   #19
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
In movies they always make buildings look at least 200% bigger than their real-world counterparts. If you actually visit an ancient temple you mostly find a portico surrounding a modest space, no mazes of secondary rooms, and so on. And a king's chamber or a mead hall were not vast cavernous spaces. Somewhat disappointing really. A few castles meet the scale of our imagination, as do some rambling English country houses. But mostly, no.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:19 AM   #20
philreed
I do stuff and things.

The project is now live. The playmat levels had sold through, but we made arrangements with the playmat printer to receive more in time to fulfill the Kickstarter rewards.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...and-ardonirane
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote