Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #21
namada
Banned

Default Re: GURPS Girl Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbm View Post
Different strokes and all that, however Girl Genius is a huge and active geek fandom so it will definitely put GURPS on people’s radar again.
I surely hope so because I want GURPS to be on everyones radar whenever possible.

Total sidetrack - did anyone else catch the episode of Rick & Morty where Rick yells "GURP!" - ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The first one is pure threadcrapping. Not only does it take a quick detour to say something unnecessary about an utterly unrelated book, it has nothing at all to say about Girl Genius except "I hope it makes some money." This is the kind of comment that turns conversations toxic all over the internet and it stems from a failure to remember our grandparents' maxim, "If you can't say something nice, say nothing."

I am NOT saying that you can't have negative opinions or even express them. I'm saying, pay attention to context. If people ask for reviews or impressions, then sure, go to town. But s thread in which people are waxing optimistic and eager about an upcoming release is maybe not the place to be Debbie Downer. Your opinion about a game book is not so important that it's worth ruining everyone else's pleasant time. Let people like what they like.
Apologies to all - the comment was not intended as a Debbie Downer Threadcrap, but rather as a positive vibe "I don't care, but hope others do extensively" statement. I'm excited that folks are excited about GURPS Girl Genius, even if I did have to Google it to even find out what it was. I'd heard so much about it up to this point in speculation, that I figured it was time to figure out what "Girl Genius" meant, so I looked it up and well, Meh for me, but good for all those excited, I'm happy for you. I'm 100% for letting people like what they like, just maybe not so good at the expressing myself part (thanks to a degenerative neurological disorder...)
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #22
AOTA

I look forward to seeing this book. Both as a fan of the comic and of GURPS.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #23
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'm cautiously hopeful for this book. I read the comic, and its a really fun setting. There is a lot of potential to get things wrong, especially when nailing down hard numbers and stats. I wish the best to whoever is writing this, and hope they will do an excellent job, because this is a project where its excellence or mediocrity will be apparent.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #24
dataweaver

If they tear the “Realm Magic as Mad Science” article out of the final issue of Pyramid and graft it into GGG, I'll be thrilled.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #25
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
If they tear the “Realm Magic as Mad Science” article out of the final issue of Pyramid and graft it into GGG, I'll be thrilled.
That was a good one, I'd like to see it fleshed out a bit more with some examples. Certainly could be part of a gadgeteering book.
I wonder if this is going to be a Powered by GURPS book or a setting book? I personally prefer it as a setting and rules supplement rather than Powered by GURPS.
Not sure what would sell more. Powered by GURPS would make it a cheaper entry point for newcomers and fans of the comics. But as a setting and rules supplement it still might attract them and be cheaper for regular GURPS people to purchase.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #26
dataweaver

I'm expecting it to be Powered By GURPS.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #27
GnomesofZurich

I've been waiting for this since it was first announced 10+ years ago, excited that it's finally going to be printed in the not-too-distant future.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #28
Astromancer

Even if it's just a well worked out Steampunk setting it would be worth having. However, it's going to be more than that because working out the mechanics of Sparks, cinematic characters in a world were they stand out, will be highly adaptable.

Think about Batman for a moment. He's very Spark-like. He is supposed to have no superpowers but he acts like a cinematic character among non-cinematic characters. The mechanics of being a Spark would make figures like Batman, James Bond, Doc Savage, Red Sonja, and Tarzan, far more playable.

This setting will give us utilities for many settings.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #29
dbm

Further confirmation via Twitter.

(Originally spotted by Christopher R. Rice)
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #30
Plane

Do we have a master list of how many webcomics have been adapted to GURPS? I remember one other one where the devil was in it and everyone was unkillable 3 as a setting feature but I can' remember the name. A list of "done" / "in progress" / "wanted" would be great. Webcomics have lots of interesting content which due to being less established (ie the big boys like DC/Marvel) might be more flexible to agreeing to a GURPS adaptation.

Gunnerkrigg Court is one I think is pretty cool and would be nice to see in GURPS. Not sure about Drow Tales as that's mighty close to D&D to begin with.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
girl genius, webcomic