Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 07-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
flankspeed

Default 3 Character Types: Fighter, Wizard, Mixed (Bard, Cleric, Monk)

I don’t know where the experience rules are at right now, but TFT has always distinguished two character types: Fighters and Wizards. After reading Guy’s article about Clerics, I wondered if there would be room for an officially designated “Mixed” character type to accommodate such concepts as bards, clerics, monks, paladins, arcane tricksters, and eldritch knights.

For example, the following experience rules could be used.

Fighters: Pay normal cost to learn Talents, pay triple cost to learn Spells.

Wizards: Pay triple cost to learn Talents, pay normal cost to learn Spells.

Mixed: Pay double cost to learn Talents, pay double cost to learn Spells.

TFT doesn’t need such a third distinction, since characters can simply decide whether they want to focus on Talents or Spells and then pay the appropriate experience point costs. But officially recognizing a “Mixed” character type might make it easier to create characters who focus equally on both Talents and Spells (or spell-like effects), such as your stereotypical bards, clerics, and monks. I don’t think the official rules would ever implement this idea, so here it is as food for thought under “house rules.”

Last edited by flankspeed; 07-25-2018 at 01:33 PM.
flankspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: 3 Character Types: Fighter, Wizard, Mixed (Bard, Cleric, Monk)

I'd rather there was no distinction at all, but I think we're sticking with Hero/Wizard.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
flankspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I'd rather there was no distinction at all, but I think we're sticking with Hero/Wizard.
Thank you for reminding me that I always felt a bit uncomfortable about artificially classifying people as Hero or Wizard. I think that was subconsciously driving my desire to have a “Mixed” classification.

My personal preference in RPGs is for a class-less system that allows characters to become anything they want to be. I can enjoy playing D&D or some such, but my heart yearns for the complete freedom that I think best reflects reality.

There’s no reason that Dr. Strange couldn’t also become a crack-shot sniper or a master swordsman if he wanted to put in the time to master the equipment and techniques. Come to think of it, I thought he was actually skilled in martial arts in addition to sorcery, but I may be mistaken.

Last edited by flankspeed; 07-25-2018 at 02:28 PM.
flankspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankspeed View Post
Thank you for reminding me that I always felt a bit uncomfortable about artificially classifying people as Hero or Wizard. I think that was subconsciously driving my desire to have a “Mixed” classification.

My personal preference in RPGs is for a class-less system that allows characters to become anything they want to be. I can enjoy playing D&D or some such, but my heart yearns for the complete freedom that I think best reflects reality.

There’s no reason that Dr. Strange couldn’t also become a crack-shot sniper or a master swordsman if he wanted to put in the time to master the equipment and techniques. Come to think of it, I thought he was actually skilled in martial arts in addition to sorcery, but I may be mistaken.
Hi Flankspeed. I always saw TFT as essentially a "classless" system. So the artificial distinction between Hero and Wizard seemed like a holdover from D&D and other "primitive" systems. I think "Wizard" would be better as a Talent, just like Mechanician or Alchemist.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Hi Flankspeed. I always saw TFT as essentially a "classless" system. So the artificial distinction between Hero and Wizard seemed like a holdover from D&D and other "primitive" systems. I think "Wizard" would be better as a Talent, just like Mechanician or Alchemist.
Hi Chris,
I agree. The class division between heroes and wizards felt like a D&D holdover.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #6
JLV

I actually think the original distinction between Wizards and everyone else came about because Wizards were supposed to be "rare" in terms of the general population, not just to enforce some arbitrary "class" system on the players.

Wizards got some special powers (magic) and paid a price (increased expense for everything else) to partially compensate. That was pretty much it.

And because magic use was supposed to be rare, it made sense to make it hard for non-Wizard characters to gain any of those powers.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #7
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I actually think the original distinction between Wizards and everyone else came about because Wizards were supposed to be "rare" in terms of the general population, not just to enforce some arbitrary "class" system on the players.

Wizards got some special powers (magic) and paid a price (increased expense for everything else) to partially compensate. That was pretty much it.

And because magic use was supposed to be rare, it made sense to make it hard for non-Wizard characters to gain any of those powers.
You could make the same argument that Alchemists and Mechanicians are "Rare", but they're still a Talent not a Class.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #8
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankspeed View Post
There’s no reason that Dr. Strange couldn’t also become a crack-shot sniper or a master swordsman if he wanted to put in the time to master the equipment and techniques.
Or even a physicker / master physicker!
;)
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
flankspeed

I’m glad to know I’m not alone in preferring to be free from class distinctions.

I do understand the game mechanical and/or lore purpose of the Hero/Wizard distinction, but I fall on the side of leaving that up to the GM. If playing in a High Fantasy, Medieval setting with magic use being rare, then use the rules as written. But if playing in an Elder Scrolls type setting where anyone can do anything, then implement house rules to remove the Hero/Wizard distinction.

It’s all a matter of taste, but I would prefer the rules-as-written to allow as much freedom as possible, leaving it up to the GM to institute any restrictions peculiar to their particular campaign setting.

If, on the other hand, two players are trying to construct a balanced combat scenario using Melee and Wizard, then perhaps it is useful for game balance to retain the Hero/Wizard distinction.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
flankspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Or even a physicker / master physicker!
;)
Touche! Well said! :)