Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #171
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: #Dungeon23 Megadungeon Challenge

June 2 etr

Description: A 2 yard by 7 yard corridor. The floor is covered with stone spikes sticking up out of the floor about three inches high and on average 6 inches apart. They act like caltrops, but cannot be picked up, and never stick in your foot permanently.

Destroying the caltrops manually isn't too hard (DR 3 HP 1), but each hex has around 25 of them (350 total)

Lighting: -10 (No light)

Entrances: The beginning and end of the hall.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 06-05-2023 at 02:40 PM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:49 PM   #172
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

June 5 etr

Description: A 5 yard by 6 yard room. The back three yards are one (six-inch) step higher than the rest of the room. an old mostly-rotted carpet covers the floor, covered in images of dwarven craftsmen and what might be mystic runes. A mirror rests on the back wall, better preserved than the rest of the room.

The Mirror: A full length silver mirror with a gilded trim ($2,500, 10 lbs). It gives off a supernatural cold aura. Anyone who looks in it can tell if anyone else they see in the mirror is hostile to them (see sense foes). This effect is worth $12,000

Entrances: A heavy iron-bound() locked (-2 to pick) double door to the front. Average unlocked iron-bound doors are to the left and the right.

Vision: -10 (no light)

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 06-09-2023 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:23 PM   #173
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

June 6 etr

Description: A roughly 3 yard by 8 yard natural corridor with a gentle slope. A 2 yard by 1 yard coal bed (see May 8) is on the left side about three yards from the top of the corridor. A web of silvery metallic veins, like grass roots or spider silk, wraps around the corridor, thickest near the flame.

The Metallic Web: An elemental plant that grows off heat and ambient fire mana. It is only dangerous if bits of it are removed from where they are growing, in which case they immediately burn up, doing a single point of burning damage to whatever removed them. Hidden lore (elementals) or prospecting at -2 will reveal all this information.

Vision: -7 (coal beds), -1 per 2 yards due to the smoke.
Mana: Very High (Only for Fire)

Heat: This room is hot. like 100 F. DF (basic set p434) and DFRPG (exploits p70) have slightly different rules here, but characters might be down some FP.

Exits: A natural entrance and exit.

Old 06-06-2023, 02:25 PM   #174
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The Undead Hall is now Complete. Its an active area, maintained and guarded by Polriket's undead minions. It also serves as their barracks and staging ground. This area has four minions with full intelligence (Hanry Deathborne, The Dark Clerk, Pallis Dead-Eye, and the Faceless Fool), who will act to stop any destruction to their master's lair, mostly through harassment from The Faceless Fool and Pallis Dead-Eye. The area is fairly tight, and most areas will find out about the party fighting from the area in front of it.

There are no wandering monsters here, because this area is active. The enemies to remember are, in order of encounter:
  • The Falling Greeter
  • The Lower Greeter and Ogre Skeletons
  • Hanry Deathborne and the Gatehouse Crew
  • The Musical Greeter, Pallis Dead-Eye, and the Faceless Fool
  • The Dark Clerk and a horde of skeletons
This area is meant to be pretty tough. There are 4 PC-level skeletons commanding hordes of undead behind a castle gatehouse defending a regeneration/animation room. I kind of wish that I'd put the entrance to the area "deeper" in the dungeon. Hopefully the very very long staircase will clue delvers in. Or they'll know to run when they get stuck on the ogres or at the gatehouse.

This area has spots to add more Undead NPC's, and if PC's die or especially surrender on this level, they're likely to be reanimated to make the next attempt even harder!

This area has 15 areas, which means that its the 2nd largest Level so far... but its still short of a full month's worth of rooms (20 at my current rate).

Last edited by ericthered; 06-06-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:54 PM   #175
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

7 June etr

Description: A 6 yard by 5 yard carved stone room with a crude rat king mosaic made of dull black and brown stones set in the floor. One wall is natural stone, and a natural fissure in the rock leads both up and down along the entire 5 yard length of the room. An inscription has been carved on the natural wall.

Exits: The room's "front" is part of a hall leading past, with no doors. The fissure leads both up and down.

The Inscription:

Below lies death and mystery
Both of use,
But not to you today
my children,
Seek My Body
Seek My Soul
Seek My Host
Seek My Forge
All Guided, All Tested

This is written in the common tongue. If the inscription is damaged, it will grow back into the stone in 2 hours.

Lighting: -10 (no light)

The Fissure: The fissure is about 4 feet to 2 feet wide, twisting up to the surface after about 40 feet. This entrance is overgrown with vegetation that lets in no light and must be hacked away (DR 2 HP 7). It also twists down for 30 feet before reaching the next level. Climbing checks are made as normal, and especially large or heavily encumbered characters need to make an escape roll to pass as well.

Old 06-07-2023, 03:07 PM   #176
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Recently I thought that as I own Megadungeons, I thought I'd take a look and see what advice it had... might be useful to this project. I was a little surprised at what I found:

The suggested treasure table was a lot more aggressive than I expected. The average room seems to have $2,000, and much higher numbers are common. So perhaps I need to go back and add more treasure. This is actually really nice to have, because treasure isn't something I've felt confident in here.

I was also surprised at the advice for how densely to pack monsters. Or rather, how loosely to pack them. "A Megadungeon functions best with open areas to explore". This is... somewhat hard to do with this challenge, because the focus is on "Interesting" rooms. Even so, I generally feel like the dungeon so far has had a lot of monsters: more rooms have them than don't. The Undead hall feels especially intense.

I've found I'm working on more areas of the dungeon than I used to. So far I'm working with the following elements:
  • Polriket's shrine, tests, and immortality mechanism
  • A Gate/Series of Gates to the land of the Drakes
  • An Ancient dwarven Mine
  • The Mind controlling Wizard who took control of the mine
  • The Construct Crafting Order who mostly defeated the mind controller
  • The Elder things Polriket accidentally let in
  • A pocket of enhanced natural mana that powers much of what is going on here (various aspected mana sections)
  • Various natural caves, especially filled with water
Some of this is harder for me to fit together than others. The dwarven ruins feel especially large, and are almost a second dungeon. So far reaching it is pretty difficult, so I'm adding more entrances.

Old 06-08-2023, 01:00 PM   #177
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

8 June etr

Description: A 2 yard by 8 yard hallway, lined with masonry

Entrances: One end has a smashed iron-bound door, the other end has a heavy iron-bound door with a good lock (-2 to pick)

Treasure: The Magazines of the Daka Golems.

Monsters: 6 Daka Golems lurk in this corridor. They will shoot anyone who approaches through the locked door or attacks them, and fight to the death. If they have the opportunity, they will move through the locked door and fight in the next room.

Daka Golems are normal-sized repeating crossbows on wooden legs. They're small, but surprisingly strong. This design is recognizably from the Order of the Gear (Success on Heraldry or Hidden Lore (Magic Items))

Code:
ST    8    HP 16    speed 6.00
DX    12    Will 8    Move 6
IQ    8    Per 12 
HT    12    FP NA    SM: -2

Dodge 10 Parry NA DR 2
Repeating Crossbow (15): 1d6+1 imp, acc 1 Range 84/180, rof 1. Can shoot once a round.

Skills: Crossbow-15, Stealth -13, Climbing -13

Traits: Traits: Autonotom, Cannot kick, Doesn't Breath, Eat, Drink, or Sleep, Extra Legs (four legs), Horizontal, Unliving, Immunity to Metabolic Hazards, Indomitable, Reprogramable, No Blood, Unfazeable, Unhealing, Mute
Class: Construct
Notes: Each Daka Golem has a cornecopia quiver enchantment on its magazine worth $2000 and weighing 3 lbs. Destroying the creature destroys the enchantment, and damaging its torso damages the magazine as well (-10% value per point of damage). An armory roll is required to separate the magazine from the golem, failure destroys the magazine. Targeting the bow is done at -2 (in addition to the SM penalty), and requires 5 injury to cripple.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:39 AM   #178
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

June 9 etr

Description: A 8 yard by 3 yard passage way filled with Black Stone Pillars 1 yard across lining each wall, effectively making the passage 1 yard wide. On one side of the passage is a bronze plaque with reptillian writing on it.

The Passage: coming too close to (about 3 inches) or touching one of the stone pillars deals 1d6-1 lightning damage, as per the spell. Detecting this before coming too close requires a Per roll, and if moving faster than 1 yard/sec, the roll is at -5. Avoiding touching the pillars requires a DX or escape roll. modifiers to the roll:
  • three times their SM,
  • their encumbrance penalty
  • -2 for a backpack or weapon that protrudes from the body
  • -4 for moving faster than a steady walk (1 yard/sec) or taking an active defense

The Plaque

The Plaque reads:
The Pillars are filled with lightning.
Speak the following to pass:
"I swear to keep the horrors beyond imprisoned"
Speak the following to shut the gates
"Guard the Gates from Horrors"

Speaking these words (at either end of the passage) will either turn off the lightning or turn it on, as appropriate. If left "On", the lightning will return after 2 minutes. The plaque can be read from the far end with a perception check at -2 for being at the wrong angle, -2 for size, and -3 for distance... and be sure to add vision penalties as well.

The plaque is solid bronze, weighs 4 lbs, and worth $200 as molten metal if pried off the wall (roll against ST 14) and sold.

vision: -10 (no light) or -7 (if lightning is going off)

Exits: The start and end of the passage

Old 06-12-2023, 04:10 PM   #179
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

June 12 etr

Description: A 7 yard by 5 yard masonry room. The floor has Polriket's emblem of the rat king carved into it. The far wall has an the carved outlines of a stone double door with a small fitting for a gem where the keyhole should be. Scattered bones and gear lie on the ground.

Entrance: An open Portcullis hangs in the entrance to this room. It has no visible lock. It counts as Heavy metal Construction (DR 12 HP 23).

The Carved Door: The surface of the wall has been carved with Anvils, hammers, flames, and skeletons. In the center is a hole that looks like it would hold a small stone, a hand print for a right hand. If a gem and hand that previously swore an oath to Polriket in Mar 2 are placed in these, A magical door will appear in the were one was merely carved before. If the door is touched or attacked in a different way, the first time a voice will shout "First Swear the oath at the Plaque." If it is touched again, or attacked, the monsters will be summoned, and the entrance portcullis slams shut with ST 20 (dealing 2d6-1 cr if applicable). If it makes it to the bottom, it mage locks for two minutes before raising back up.

The wall is three feet thick (468 DR, 135 HP), if players wish to break in through it. An architecture or Search-4 roll can reveal that the wall is hollow IF the PC's search the room for something hidden. If damaged, the door will grow back at a rate of 1 HP per hour, then 1 DR per hour.

Monsters: If summoned, A Peshkali appears in the back right corner and attacks anyone in the room. One side of arms is all scimitars, and the other is all spears. If the Peshkali is defeated, it will not be summoned again for 40 days.

Lighting: -10 (no light)

Treasure: Among the bones and refuse on the floor is aBalanced Silvered Edged Rapier ($5000, 3 lbs) with Penetrating Weapon 1 ($5,000), 4 vials alchemists fire ($100, 1 lb each), 1 Suit Lorica Segmenta ($680 26 lbs) with lighten ($100) fortify ($50), and deflect +1 ($2,000), and a Dwarven Silvered Fine Balanced Axe with a Wolf in Bead Pattern on handle ($600 4 lbs) and Flaming Weapon ($15,400). The Peshkali might try to grab these items, but isn't summoned with them and is likely to just immediately attack.

Old 06-13-2023, 02:31 PM   #180
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

June 13 etr

Description: A passageway 4 yards across and 30 yards long, slightly curved. A three yard wide section of passage extending down its length has four feet of water in it, and three feet above that point a 1 yard wide section sits. Walking through the water gives -5 to stealth, and counts as bad footing.

Entrances: The beginning of the passage starts with a spillway dropping four feet. Four simple doorways (no doors) are spread along the passage, entering onto the upper walkway. The passage ends with the water flowing through an average iron grill (DR9 HP18), and hitting another spillway.

Monsters: 5 eyes of death

Treasure:
5 lbs of Frankincense, laid in clay pots $256 a lb.
A Medium Mirrored Iron Shield (15 lbs, $120)
Fur trimmed cape ($100, 2 lbs) of Resist Acid (always on, $16,000)

Vision: -10 (no light)
Hearing: -2 (water sounds)

Tags
#dungeon23, challenge, megadungeon