Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2023, 03:00 PM   #11
Kesendeja

Default Re: Help with "Tech" levels for Magic/Psyonics

Dataweaver you are a godsend. This helps alot.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:56 PM   #12
dataweaver

Default Re: Help with "Tech" levels for Magic/Psyonics

I'm thinking that there should be a “Zeroth Movement” where the only spells available are the IQ/A spells found in GURPS Magic: The Least of Spells, with IQ/H skills beginning to be introduced during the First Movement and IQ/VH spells not becoming available until the Fourth or Fifth Movement.

I do like the idea that the First Movement restricts spells to those that don't have spell prerequisites; the Second Movement allows spell prerequisites, but doesn't include the concept of Colleges (and thus no prerequisites that refer to Colleges); and the Third Movement adds the concept of Colleges.

The “Five Movements” article also said that spells requiring Magery 1 don't become available until the Fourth Movement, and that spells requiring Magery 2 or higher become available at the Fifth Movement. I'm not sure about keeping that, in light of the possibility of taking IQ/VH spells off the table until the Fourth or Fifth Movement. Or maybe I should? I'm still debating that. Maybe it should be “Magery 1 at Third Movement, Magery 2 at Fourth Movement, Magery 3 at Fifth Movement, and so on”?

The First Movement should operate under the rules of Ceremonial Magery (Thaumatology p.23); the Second Movement should require three levels of Extravagant Rituals (Thaumatology p.24); the Third Movement should only require two levels of Extravagant Rituals; the Fourth Movement should only require one level of Extravagant Rituals; the Fifth Movement should operate according to the standard magic rules; the Sixth Movement should benefit from a level of Easy Casting (Thaumatology p.28); and if there are any Movements after that, they should benefit from additional levels of Easy Casting. I think that IQ/A spells should be exempt from this, neither being restricted by the Ceremonies/Extravagant Rituals not benefitting from: they're magic that's barely magical at all, and are already written to be exempt from some of the restrictions that apply to regular magic.

And finally: while I'm debating whether the notion of Colleges becoming available incrementally, I do like the idea that Essential Magic ([I]Pyramid 3/25: Epic Magic[/i<]) becomes available in the Sixth Movement. Since they all require Magery 4, this would be in line with the “Magery 1 prerequisite unlocked at Third Movement, and raised this by +1 per Movement after that”. Note that Under theHood: Essential Spells (Pyramid 3/25 p.20) gives the secret for how the Essential Spells were created (adding Enhancements to other spells), and this opens the door for creating more of them: they need not be restricted to the Elemental Colleges.

Tags
magic, psychic, religion, space opera