Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-18-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
ISNorden

Default Word of Cowboy Churches: Divine obviously, but whose?

Judging by what Wikipedia says about the movement, somebody up there thinks that cowboy churches further God's side of the War effort. In campaigns with an Angel of Cowboy Churches, Laurence and the Seraphim Council must have approved his Word. Which Archangel is the Angel of Cowboy Churches most likely to serve, though? What are their Choir, Attunements, and Rites most likely to be? Who else (in Heaven, Hell, and the Marches) is likely to oppose theiir Word? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 08-20-2022, 05:07 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Word of Cowboy Churches: Divine obviously, but whose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
In campaigns with an Angel of Cowboy Churches, Laurence and the Seraphim Council must have approved his Word. Which Archangel is the Angel of Cowboy Churches most likely to serve, though?
Boggle, boggle, boggle!

If people are living a cowboy lifestyle for enough of the time they want their church to work that way, I think it's Blandine, Archangel of Dreams.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
thorr-kan

I can't see this concept having enough Symphonic resonance for a Divine word.
thorr-kan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:52 PM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

It'd definitely depend on the kind of game one was running; certain dial settings would support it!

For default settings, though, the thing to remember is that Heaven, at least, is unlikely to give Words for things that fade out quickly or can't be promoted to larger Words. When you give a Word, and the concept fades in the minds and hearts of the corporeal, so does the celestial. If a Word dies back far enough, it can kill a celestial.

If the Word is a subset of a Word Not Held Already, then the Seraphim Council can basically "promote" someone higher. (I mean, they could technically pull the Word and give an unrelated one, I think, but that would take cooperation and once bound to a Word, celestials are generally loathe to abandon it entirely -- they would rather die, usually.) So you could start with Cowboy Churches and go up to Rural Churches or Themed Churches or just Churches. (But I wouldn't count on Churches not already being an Angel of the Sword. Might've been attrition, though. GMs can kill off a prior holder...)

But unless the would-be Angel of Cowboy Churches is actually planning on trying to migrate upward in area-of-influence... The Seraphim Council probably doesn't think the concept has been around very long, and is likely to be just a passing fad, so binding an angel to that would mean killing an angel in under a few hundred years. (Remember that some of the Seraphim Council are literally older than dirt. A few hundred years is mayfly time!)

So: Would the prospective Angel of Cowboy Churches be using it as a "foothold" to a larger Word, such as Rural Churches? Why should the Council not just grant the larger Word to start with, if the angel is capable? If the angel is not capable yet... Maybe the angel should go off and promote their rural churches without a Word, and prove themself capable of holding a Word that might persist for as long as humans have a rural/urban divide.

But if you are playing the sort of game with satire/humor cranked up, then sure, you get your Angel of Cowboy Churches!

Tags
angels, in nomine, npc ideas, wordbound