Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2022, 09:18 PM   #21
tshiggins

Default Re: New Fantasy Setting Seeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
Stranger Things, only with Fair Folk?
I'd play in this one.
Most of the others, in the thread, are just too over-the-top.

Here's an idea I may present for a future campaign, should I ever run one, after Facets.

Convergence

Elevator Pitch: A dimensional convergence similar to the one that appears in, The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski, takes place in the modern world. Can the characters find a way to survive sudden changes in natural laws that end modern civilization, and possibly find a way to build something new?

Genre: Post-apocalyptic survival adventure, with strong elements of fantasy and horror.

Inspirations: The Witcher books and games; Ariel, by Steven R. Boyett; I Am Legend (aka, The Omega Man), by Richard Matheson; bits and bobs of The Emberverse series, by S.M. Stirling.

Characters: Inhabitants of modern-day Denver, caught by surprise when the Convergence occurs. 125 points/50 point disad limit/5 points quirks (approximately equivalent to characters in the pilot episode of an action-adventure TV series). Players should create characters who have existing relationships that would draw them together in a crisis.

Taboo Traits: Starting characters have no supernatural or super-science advantages, and that means no Magery; although, such advantages may become available as the campaign progresses. Altruism isn't necessary, but characters may not have disadvantages that make them predatory sociopaths, or even villainous abusers. I don't like a******s in real life, which means I don't find pretend jerks entertaining in my games.

Tone: Gritty, bloody and terrifying at the start, with reasonably realistic human drama driven by desperation, terror and loss. The campaign will use fright-check rules!

Danger Level: Moderate to high, at the beginning, but perhaps declining as characters learn how the world has changed. The PCs will have guns, but that means a lot of terrified survivors will, also, and monsters in this setting are lethally dangerous. Players should bring their, "A" games, to this one.

I'd include this one in a list of post-apoc setting ideas, so my rating system would be:

4 points -- I would kill to play in this campaign!
3 points -- Sounds like fun.
2 points -- Not my favorite, but I'll give it a try.
1 point -- I'm willing to play, if there's nothing else.
0 points -- Hard pass. I'll sit this one out.

Last edited by tshiggins; 07-12-2022 at 09:33 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:07 PM   #22
SionEwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I'd play in this one.
Most of the others, in the thread, are just too over-the-top.

Here's an idea I may present for a future campaign, should I ever run one, after Facets.

Convergence

Elevator Pitch: A dimensional convergence similar to the one that appears in, The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski, takes place in the modern world. Can the characters find a way to survive sudden changes in natural laws that end modern civilization, and possibly find a way to build something new?

Genre: Post-apocalyptic survival adventure, with strong elements of fantasy and horror.

Inspirations: The Witcher books and games; Ariel, by Steven R. Boyett; I Am Legend (aka, The Omega Man), by Richard Matheson; bits and bobs of The Emberverse series, by S.M. Stirling.

Characters: Inhabitants of modern-day Denver, caught by surprise when the Convergence occurs. 125 points/50 point disad limit/5 points quirks (approximately equivalent to characters in the pilot episode of an action-adventure TV series). Players should create characters who have existing relationships that would draw them together in a crisis.

Taboo Traits: Starting characters have no supernatural or super-science advantages, and that means no Magery; although, such advantages may become available as the campaign progresses. Altruism isn't necessary, but characters may not have disadvantages that make them predatory sociopaths, or even villainous abusers. I don't like a******s in real life, which means I don't find pretend jerks entertaining in my games.

Tone: Gritty, bloody and terrifying at the start, with reasonably realistic human drama driven by desperation, terror and loss. The campaign will use fright-check rules!

Danger Level: Moderate to high, at the beginning, but perhaps declining as characters learn how the world has changed. The PCs will have guns, but that means a lot of terrified survivors will, also, and monsters in this setting are lethally dangerous. Players should bring their, "A" games, to this one.

I'd include this one in a list of post-apoc setting ideas, so my rating system would be:

I'll give this one 3.5 points. Now I just have to figure out how to participate in this one despite being about a 16-hour drive from Denver!

And we both need to get Astromancer to run his What we did on our Summer Vacation game idea. ;-)
SionEwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:29 PM   #23
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SionEwig View Post
I'll give this one 3.5 points. Now I just have to figure out how to participate in this one despite being about a 16-hour drive from Denver!

And we both need to get Astromancer to run his What we did on our Summer Vacation game idea. ;-)
Yessir!
I'm so down.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:59 PM   #24
Astromancer

Quote:
Yessir!
I'm so down.
I'm deeply flattered.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:50 AM   #25
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:

0, respectfully; we're complete opposites.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:14 PM   #26
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
0, respectfully; we're complete opposites.
That's perfectly okay.
I had some other ideas, too.

One adhered much more closely to Boyett's, Ariel.
That one had all a more traditional fantasy feel, but very little of the horror.

I also played in one of Mark Skarr's campaigns (he lives fairly close by) which was loosely based on Earthdawn, with some Warhammer influences.
I liked that one and would consider GMing something similar.

An Emberverse setting would be good, but you'd have to seriously reign in the urge to go too far toward the supernatural. GURPS: Spirits could be useful, though.

My other post-apoc ideas are more-or-less sci-fi, or just modern-day-goes-to-hell.

Last edited by tshiggins; 07-14-2022 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:09 PM   #27
PTTG

Dreamworlds:

Dreams are a mental rehearsal of the day's events, a processing of memory with little meaning aside from as a reflection of hopes, dreams, and preoccupations. They aren't real places. Or so was once believed.

While those phantom thoughts are indeed necessary, certain hypnotic practices push these processes into the subconscious and unleash true dreams; vivid, lucid experiences that are not merely illusions but an entire other world. The techniques required to reach it were once closely guarded secrets, but they are escaping. More and more people are becoming Dreamwalkers.

The dreamworld, while clearly a real place, is just as clearly very different from our own world. Like a dream, things that happen there can only hurt your mind, not your body. It is somewhat responsive to acts of will and state of mind. Most notably, physical location is nearly irrelevant in the Dreamworld. And, most significantly, time does not flow evenly or consistently there. Subjective experience varies widely. Some visits pass in moments, others take years. Generally, time passes more quickly there.*

The geography of the Dreamworld shifts slowly from week to week, perhaps reflecting some great collective unconscious. There are mountains, forests, cities, seas, but they move. There are also many stranger landscapes. Planes of ocean surface that intersect the ground at odd tangents, defying gravity. Bookcases with neither top nor bottom, navigated by rolling ladders. Impossible houses and telescoping spaces. Realms where time is as easily navigated as a dimension of space.

Most importantly of all, the Dreamworld has its own hazards. Aside from physical torment, some psychological torments are loosed onto the realm, preying on unwary Dreamwalkers.

You are a Walker. Maybe new, maybe old. You may know others, either on the material plane or solely within the Dream. Either way, you must work together to understand the Dreamworld, to face its threats, and at the same time, not lose connection to the "real world" out there.

* For example, it's been shown that information cannot be transported faster than the speed of light in the real world, but dreamwalkers report zero perceived communication lag, even between walkers on opposite sides of the planet. This is hardly the most serious conflict with the rules of science as we know them.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:11 PM   #28
PTTG

The Glittering Coast lies on the far side of searing deserts, vast steppes, and beyond those, towering mountain ranges. The older, longer-settled lands sometimes condemn prisoners to journey there, and sometimes ambitious or mad tribes migrate there freely, mingling with the curious native peoples of uncertain but surely ancient origin. In time, three great cities grew along that far shore, bound together by a chain of coastal settlements. Great ships travel up and down the coast, carrying goods or warriors, wine or gold.

These cities are Sholeetia, Fidonia, and Aïdo ("messenger," in the native tongue). While considered rude and meager things compared to the ancient city-states of the older lands, each has become wealthy from the riches of this windswept coast.

Anthrosis:
To be a shapeshifter, a changeling, a skinwalker is not an easy thing. Often, they are forced upon a family who considers them a perversion or a monster. Perhaps worse, some must deal with families who reject any sign of such "corruption," and insist it can be suppressed. Outcasts from birth, there are a lucky few who find new families who are willing to help them tame their gifts and achieve mastery of their form.

You are one such shapechanger. As a novice, with only other untrained changers to help, you will have to discover your powers and limitations in order to master your form and bring it into harmony with your spirit, finally unlocking your true powers.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:02 AM   #29
SilvercatMoonpaw

"In a hole in the ground there lived a rabbit..."

Furry fantasy in the Tolkien/D&D mold. Hobbits are rabbits, dwarves are badgers, elves are cats, humans are dogs, and orcs are pigs.

Of course, a simple substitution isn't much of a seed. Instead, diverge the races a little from their fantasy origins based on their animal: "orcs" would then become quite smart, while "humans" come in an even more dizzying variety.

--------------------

There are two kinds of magic in this world: those who summon magical beasts, and those who become magical beasts. And, of course, those who are magical beasts.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:26 AM   #30
Astromancer

I skipped over water, I danced over sea

The wizards have discovered a new way to cover vast areas of space quickly. They're a little weak on accuracy as of yet. Basically, you get a group of people to dance together. The patterns of the dance control your distance traveled and your destination. The charm is cast by a mage playing a musical instrument. They say these new fangled fiddles and guitars work best.

If we could get the flaws in the system worked out we could trade with the golden Indies or far Cathay. Even Chipangu with its golden roofs.

Yes sire, we could also attack your neighbors by surprise and conquer them.

Basically, into a fairly normal fantasy world comes a new cheaper means of teleportation. Quick, efficient, capable of transporting armies easily, and, at present, highly fallible.

Wizards are hiring adventurers, including their apprentices, to work out the problems of accuracy inherent in this spell.

It's a chance to travel to far lands. Which far lands is random at this point, as is getting home.

Note: The astute observer would figure out what kind of all enveloping chaos this kind of travel could bring. There would be many people who'd do what they could to stop the whole thing. Or steal all the secrets for themselves.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 07-17-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote