Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2023, 03:23 AM   #1
RochaMartinez56

Default GURPS Key Feature

What are some key features that make GURPS a versatile and adaptable role-playing system for exploring various genres and settings?
RochaMartinez56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:57 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS Key Feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by RochaMartinez56 View Post
What are some key features that make GURPS a versatile and adaptable role-playing system for exploring various genres and settings?
The combination of its components.
At its core its a real simple system and uses real world measurements sot its easy to relate to and work with.
Also it is very modular and the pieces tested and worked with over many years so you can add whatever pieces you need and it all just fits together without the typical clunkienes. Most systems bolt on additional rules to handle different things than they were initially built for and often that shows and the fit is not very good.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:01 AM   #3
Lovewyrm

Quote:
No classes. No experience. Spend points to buy 'lego' blocks to make everything.
(and of course gain bonus points for adding hindrances to the everythings)

The rest is then narration, and that depends more on the players and GM than a system.
Even if the system is narrative focused.

Also, 3d6 is a top tier dice system, and that's basically the quintessential GURPS core.

Want to do something that requires a roll? Roll 3d6 and try to roll an equal or lower number than a specified difficulty roll.

All the books are just additions for that. Well, more or less, anyway.

3d6 at or below a number is pretty much what's left if you boil everything else away. Servicable, but the books and optional rules (which are all of them, really) are so good. The combat system, man.
D20 can only dream of it.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:46 AM   #4
Mr_Sandman

It starts with a relatively simple basic mechanic, roll 3d6 under the target number that is usually an attribute or skill level. The core rules use that mechanic to provide plausible outcomes for familiar, ‘real world’ situations. Then the modular design lets GMs layer on increasing detail in the areas they want to have more rules focus, and add just the cinematic and fantastic elements they want. The high detail is still based on the same simple mechanic, and the fantastic elements interact with the familiar, ‘mundane’ grounding in a way that is comprehensible and makes sense.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:23 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

To add a bit more detail:

The 3d6 mechanic gives a bell-curve distribution that's more predictable than flat-probability d20 or d100 systems, and easier to understand than dice-pool systems. This gives players who think about it a fairly good idea of their odds of success. That rewards a more careful play style, more grounded in reality, than many TTRPGs.

The use of real-world units, and some checking of the game's rules against reality in the early days, has produced a game that's easier to relate to real events and historical accounts than many systems. It is not a reality simulator, but it produces an impression of verisimilitude fairly easily.

The combat system defaults to "combat is dangerous" and this matches up to the previous points. Tactics and planning pay off better than "heroically" wading in against long odds.

Success in GURPS takes care and effort, and is all the sweeter for it.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:57 AM   #6
binn05

For me, the key feature is the modular approach.

Although, I think it could be better displayed for new players when they start reading the Basic Set.
You can start small and add stuff as you go or need them.

The problem comes from wanting to use everything at once because if it is in the book, it must be used. That mindset took me a while to change.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:23 AM   #7
Kesendeja

What sold me and really keeps me here is its core simplicity and ease of modification. After the core books, you add rules for whatever game you want.

3D6 and the bell curve it produces is a refreshing change. Most of the other games offer an even chance on rolling the right number.

I also really love that it's free form character creation. Get points then spend those points, advancing characters however you like.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:42 AM   #8
Mr_Sandman

Picking up on point-build, and the ability make precisely the character you want to play -- GURPS is not in in having point-build character creation, there are plenty of point-build games, but I think it's well-implemented in GURPS. It's more detailed than most, so have small distinctions between characters can be mechanically meaningful in play.

The Advantages and Disadvantages are playable 'off the shelf' as presented, for simple character building. You don't have to build anything from scratch from generic effects. However, the enhancements and limitations offer the opportunity for fine tuning to make them match exactly how you want a character to work, if that's what you want to do.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:51 PM   #9
bocephus

Quote:
Most of the things I would say have already been pointed out.

I might add that it is ultimately more fair to a player by having a price list that every player can buy from, rather than restricting certain abilities lists to specific archetype niches.

What things do you think might be of use to you?
I assume you didn't stumble upon GURPS without an idea in mind...

Your opener doesn't tell us anything about you.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:58 PM   #10
Shostak

GURPS has another key feature, but it isn't anything to do with rules. It supports its players with a plethora of extremely well-researched books on a variety of topics whose worth should not be underestimated. Yes, some of these provide some optional rules, but others are more about settings (Silk Road, Ancient Egypt, Medieval Japan, etc.) and others about genres (Mystery, Horror, Cliffhangers, Action). I know of no other game that can boast this as loudly as GURPS can.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game system