Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #501
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
Custom Systems Sheet
The problem with this is that most systems that fall outside of the basic scope of the Spaceships rules don't require you to just enter a new item Name, Cost, and Attribute/Note; they require a lot of real changes.

As one example, I'm working on incorporating the Pyramid 3/40 Mecha Operations rules. Just adding the option to Power Plants for Compact Power Plants required changes in a half-dozen different places (note for Volatile, new note for Extremely Volatile, Power Produced, Fuel Used, and adding the new option in the first place); in the process of which I stumbled across a (rather insignificant) bug I hadn't noticed. Even the relatively minor Advanced Interface switch required making changes to both the Footnotes and Cost.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's a difficult undertaking. Systems have a lot of different attributes they have to keep track of, and a user would have to correctly enter all of those attributes or it could cause the whole sheet to start erroring out.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #502
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawthewolf View Post
I can't select Size modifier, I click on the drop down menu but no options at all appears
What version of the Spreadsheet are you using, and for Excel or OpenOffice? Is your Windows install set to American English or some other language/internationalization?
Kaboom-baya.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #503
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Version 2.0 Release Candidate 7
Using the download for Excel 2007 linked in the above quoted post (downloaded about an hour ago) ... I'm running into an error with putting Spinal Mounts in the two [Core] sections. It allows me to fill the slots, but doesn't enable me to add a weapon to the mount as it doesn't register the mount as being available.

SM +29 ship, in case its' relevant.

EDIT: Please disregard. The sheets previous behavior (allowing me to slot a forward spinal and a middle spinal item, both in the core section, without requiring a rear item was fixed; bug fixes aren't errors. =p). Sorry for the false alarm.

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 06-13-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #504
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
EDIT: Please disregard. The sheets previous behavior (allowing me to slot a forward spinal and a middle spinal item, both in the core section, without requiring a rear item was fixed; bug fixes aren't errors. =p). Sorry for the false alarm.
It's funny you should trip over that, though, because one of the things I just added a few days ago (for the next release) was an warning message and instructions for installing multi-part systems such as the Spinal Battery - mainly because i just added Core Armor (from Pyramid 3/40), which is a multi-part system with some specific requirements about which slots it can be installed in.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #505
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

The Magnetic Planetary Drive is supposedly usable outside an atmosphere if a magnetic field is nearby. Is there a way to include it in space stats?

Alternatively, is there a way to define a custom reactionless drive (change the Gs provided and accessible TL)?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #506
clawthewolf

I'm using the latest version for 2007 Excel with Swedish settings, have never had such a problem before.
clawthewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #507
DaltonS

Okay, I've unhidden "SystemV2" and "SystemStats" sheets and am getting ready to customize, but I have a question. The "Available In Smaller SM" column in SystemV2 has values 0-3. What do they mean? (I want a Smaller SM "Vehicle Dock".)
Dalton “who also wants to define a custom reactionless drive Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #508
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
Okay, I've unhidden "SystemV2" and "SystemStats" sheets and am getting ready to customize, but I have a question. The "Available In Smaller SM" column in SystemV2 has values 0-3. What do they mean? (I want a Smaller SM "Vehicle Dock".)
Dalton “who also wants to define a custom reactionless drive Spence
0 = Not available in Smaller SM
1 = Take stats from SM-1 system
2 = Use stats for the ships SM, Divide by 3 then round to sig fig (e.g. a Rocket divides it's thrust by 3, keeping decimals)
3 = Use stats for the ships SM, Divide by 3 then drop fractions (e.g. Weapon Batteries, where you can't have 1/3 of a mount)

For a Vehicle Dock you'd want to use 1, just like a Hangar Bay (I see no reason why it shouldn't be available in smaller SM, so I'll change this for the next version).
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 06-15-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #509
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
The Magnetic Planetary Drive is supposedly usable outside an atmosphere if a magnetic field is nearby. Is there a way to include it in space stats?
I'm not really sure about that, as the drive specifies use only in a planetary magnetic field. Really the only difference between the Air and Space profiles is that Air profiles calculate an air speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Alternatively, is there a way to define a custom reactionless drive (change the Gs provided and accessible TL)?
No, but you can check the "Don't Filter systems by TL" checkbox at the top, add a Reactionless Drive, then go to the System Options section and set the drive's TL to make it mimic any of the standard TL's.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #510
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I'm not really sure about that, as the drive specifies use only in a planetary magnetic field. Really the only difference between the Air and Space profiles is that Air profiles calculate an air speed.
Yeah, it's a minor issue, really.

Quote:
No, but you can check the "Don't Filter systems by TL" checkbox at the top, add a Reactionless Drive, then go to the System Options section and set the drive's TL to make it mimic any of the standard TL's.
That's what I was doing, but I was wondering if there's a better way.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet