Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-28-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
Skipper2921

Default Mounted Combat - Pulling a Rider from the Mount

Where does the rider fall once pulled off the horse? I'm not seeing it in the rules. I get more confused when Horseman and Expert Horseman talents require two and three successful figures to pull a rider from the horse.

Part two, is the rider Prone once they are pulled from the mount?

If this has been discussed earlier, please give me a link to the thread.

Thanks,
Skip
Skipper2921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Mounted Combat - Pulling a Rider from the Mount

I don't believe I've ever seen that detail discussed. If I had to resolve it with a table ruling, I'd led the attacker pick which hex the target lands in, much as you do with a forced retreat.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
Shostak

The rules don't specify to my knowledge, so these are just common sense rulings, and I'm sure there are other equally valid ones:

I let the puller determine the hex (on their side of the horse). If there is no unoccupied hex into which place the rider, I treat it as the puller and rider enter HTH in the puller's hex. Pick one puller if there are more than one. The rider should be prone after being pulled from a mount, but I'd give a rider with Acrobatics a 4d or 5d/DX roll to avoid falling.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
Skipper2921

Thanks guys. Makes sense, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I like the idea of adding saving roll for Acrobatics. I'm going to adopt that.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #5
hcobb

Shouldn't that be the same saving throw against taking damage as for jumping off a horse?
Old 03-28-2021, 08:33 PM   #6
phiwum

Surely, it's a lot easier to control your landing when you jump off rather than when you are pulled off. I wouldn't have the two be the same difficulty at all.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:55 PM   #7
Skipper2921

I see the Jump Off as learning to launch from the mount and tumble so as to not cause damage to yourself. In doing so, you land prone. Essentially learning to roll properly and not hurt yourself from the jump. The roll for Acrobatics talent (keeping balance and recovering from falls) would be to prevent yourself from being in a vulnerable position (prone), not a roll to determine if damage occurred. This is the recovering from the fall bit, and prevents your adversaries from jumping on you.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #8
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper2921 View Post
Where does the rider fall once pulled off the horse? I'm not seeing it in the rules. I get more confused when Horseman and Expert Horseman talents require two and three successful figures to pull a rider from the horse.

Part two, is the rider Prone once they are pulled from the mount?

If this has been discussed earlier, please give me a link to the thread.
The rules don't explicitly say, but I think it is implied from the way it is written.

The first paragraph is about falling from damage. The second paragraph then starts by saying, "A rider may also be pulled from his mount by enemies on the ground..."

So I think the intention is that they're the same sort of falling, and falling from damage means you fall straight down and are prone. I think the intention is that they simply fall in the hex they are already in, and are prone.

While it seems reasonable to rule there is some chance of pulling someone off a horse into your own hex, two foes in the same hex are in the rules pretty much always treated as being in HTH, and the rules here don't mention HTH, and often people pulling people off horses wouldn't want to be in HTH, and if you wanted to be able to pull them to the ground in your hex but NOT be in HTH with them, that'd open up several other questions. So, more reasons why I think the intent is they just fall straight down.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
Skipper2921

Interesting take. I like the idea of the acrobat being able to avoid the fall to the prone position, and I'm not sure how well that works with falling to the same hex as the mount. I guess the acrobat could choose a location, similar to being pushed back, but ensure they are next to at least one enemy. Or, just land in the same hex and be at the -2DX for occupying a hex with the mount (although I'm not sure that fits this situation).

I also don't see anything about the reaction of the mount. I am thinking a horse, other than a warhorse, will panic. The warhorse will defend the fallen rider.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:23 PM   #10
Skarg

As far as RAW goes, an acrobatic response to being pulled from a horse would be a GM call - I can imagine one GM saying you're under control of the puller so no, and another letting you pick an empty hex adjacent to any puller to land in on your feet. Personally, if I allowed that, I'd make it at least a 4/DX roll.

What a non-warhorse does would also tend to be a GM call. It might panic, or just try to get away from danger. Other people nearby might be able to use Horsemanship or Animal Handling on an unridden mount to get it to stay around.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote