Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #1
Allensh

Default Main-gauche DX adjustment

I have a question. In the Weapons Table under Main-Gauche there is a 1 in the DX adjustment column. Is this a typo? If not what does it mean?

Allen
Allensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Main-gauche DX adjustment

As no sample character with a Main-gauche has any sort of DX adjustment noted, that "1" is a typo. There is no DX adjustment.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
larsdangly

I think we are intended to take that as a typo, but it is worth noting that the main-gauche has a big range of treatments when you look across the old and new rules. In the original melee it had a -2 DX adjustment when used as a shield! In the original Advanced Melee, the table lists a -2 DX adjustment but the text says its -1 when used as a shield. As far as I can tell, no DX adjustment is mentioned in the new Melee, and it isn't mentioned in the text of the new ITL, but does appear as an adjustment (apparently +1!) in the ITL weapon table. It's all a bit confusing and should definitely be subject to an official errata
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
Skarg

I think there's a post by SJ somewhere on the forum here which may give more clues as to what he had in mind in the new edition, but yeah since ITL contradicts itself and seems to have the table entry backwards, it's hard to know what the final idea is.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
larsdangly

I did what I think was an exhaustive search through the new Melee and ITL and can't find any text or any tables in Melee that support the idea of a DX penalty for normal use of the Main Gauche. On that basis, I think the '+1' adjustment in the ITL tables should be ignored.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
larsdangly

A related question for the group: the rules for left handed weapons make it sound like making two attacks with a normal weapon and a main-gauche is resolved with no DX adjustment for the main weapon and -4 for the main-gauche. But Net and Trident compares itself to sword and main-gauche, and there states not to forget about the -4 penalty, with a wording that seems like it refers to both attacks. Thoughts?
Old 04-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #7
hcobb

Net and Trident is a special case of using a thrown and pole weapon at the same time. Two Weapons doesn't cover thrown weapons at all.

Elven Retiarii
ST 10 DX 14 IQ 8 MA 14
Very Fine Trident(1d+2, $600) Net(1d-3)
Elvish(native), Fisherman(mundane), Humanish(1), Pole weapons(2), Net and Trident(1), Thrown Weapons(2), Running(2)

Run up seven hexes to adjacent and announce use of both weapons. Net goes first at adjDX 11

If that hits then the target falls and adjDX 14 trident strikes for 2d+2

Even better would be

Elven Hunter
ST 9 DX 12 IQ 11 MA 14
Very Fine Javelin(1d+1, $600) Bola(special)
Elvish(native), Butcher(mundane), Humanish(1), Pole weapons(2), Bola(1), Thrown Weapons(2), Running(2), Weapons Expertise Javelin(3)

Run up seven hexes to adjacent and use the bola at adjDX 13

If that hits then the target falls, backup and charge the next turn for a shred charge attack of 3d+1 at adjDX 11

Last edited by hcobb; 04-06-2019 at 08:58 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
larsdangly

Why are you having the trident strike at adj. DX 14? Doesn't the description say both attacks get -4 to hit, so it should be at 10?
Old 04-06-2019, 10:15 PM   #9
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Why are you having the trident strike at adj. DX 14? Doesn't the description say both attacks get -4 to hit, so it should be at 10?
What is the facing of the target?
Old 04-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #10
larsdangly

Ah. I get it.