Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #61
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS On Demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Also, more and more people are moving towards e-books. As one friend once joked when I asked how much their game books weighed, ~"500 grams." Kind of regretting buying paper books as long as I did, myself (up to this year).
I like print books. I spent a lot of time tracking down GURPS 3e and Vampire: The Masquerade books. I've had some GURPS 4e PDFs printed in book form. They're easier to browse through have some advantages around the gaming table (though text searchable PDFs have their advantages too).

Of course, there's something to be said about being able to load all of my eBooks on a MicroSD card that's small enough to snort up my nose (don't do that, but you could) and read on whatever small device you feel like porting around.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #62
Juan

Hi everyone!

I own Infinite Worlds and I was wondering if It would be useful / worthy to buy Time Travel as It is a source for the former.

In other words, is there anything in Time Travel which was no included in Infinite Worlds?

Thanks!
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #63
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Hi everyone!

I own Infinite Worlds and I was wondering if It would be useful / worthy to buy Time Travel as It is a source for the former.

In other words, is there anything in Time Travel which was no included in Infinite Worlds?

Thanks!
Not much, if anything, was left out. However it was presented in a very different way, with the Infinite Worlds setting being presented as one of several equal time travel campaign frameworks. Pretty much all of that was moved into Chapter 8 of Infinite Worlds.

The text is pretty much word-for-word transferred between the two books. The artwork, of course, was completely replaced since the original was all B&W while Infinite Worlds is full color.

So how much you might find it useful might depend on how much you like thinking about the different permutations of the different campaign styles and Time Travel physics, and how much a different presentation might make you think differently on the topics; however if you're looking for completely new ideas you aren't going to find it.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #64
Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Not much, if anything, was left out. However it was presented in a very different way, with the Infinite Worlds setting being presented as one of several equal time travel campaign frameworks. Pretty much all of that was moved into Chapter 8 of Infinite Worlds.

The text is pretty much word-for-word transferred between the two books. The artwork, of course, was completely replaced since the original was all B&W while Infinite Worlds is full color.

So how much you might find it useful might depend on how much you like thinking about the different permutations of the different campaign styles and Time Travel physics, and how much a different presentation might make you think differently on the topics; however if you're looking for completely new ideas you aren't going to find it.
Thanks for tour answer!
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #65
theyoungmaster

Just want to say again I love the Print on demand program for GURPS. I came to SJ Games late in life and I have a lot of catching up to do.

Id like to request 3rd edition Space, Fantasy, Supers and Martial Arts.

Also I Know someone else has mentioned it but Id pick up Reprints of the 4 original Dungeon Fantasy books in a second. I know the first two are well covered in the DFRPG which I love but I would gladly by all four.

I'm super excited about Deadlands coming available again and have told my wife that they are at the top of my Christmas list.

If you guys could somehow make GURPS traveller available again that would be awsome.
theyoungmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:58 AM   #66
DreadDomain

I would echo this. I am fortunate enough that I have a very extensive collection of GURPS books. Now that I have been reunited with my books after 6 years I will be able to assess the gaps and profit from the PoD program
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #67
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
There are multiple Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game titles offered on the page:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/ondemand/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
To be more specific, scroll about a third to half way down the page. There's a section of DFRPG books.
Which is my mild kvetch about it, that there is no way to text search. The only way to tell if there are, say any Deadlands products, is to scroll through looking at each cover picture.

Could we get a text-only version, or the titles added below the cover pictures?

(And a pony, of course.)
Old 03-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #68
hermit

hello. i currently own a very preloved (disintergrated glue spine loose pages) gurps basic set third edition.

im currently thinking on getting other gurp books to help with my charactor building and for any games i take part in.

i could probably be happy playing almost any genre, but i am quite interested in lovecraftian/horror, and steampunk/sci-fi/alternatives

for maybe 2 or 3 books, what ones should i go for to aid my charactor building and game play to any games i might be in?
hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #69
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermit View Post
hello. i currently own a very preloved (disintergrated glue spine loose pages) gurps basic set third edition.
So, you're interested in more 3e books (as opposed to the current edition, 4e)? Many of them are available in PDF. And some people prefer to stick with 3e over 4e.

Quote:
i could probably be happy playing almost any genre, but i am quite interested in lovecraftian/horror, and steampunk/sci-fi/alternatives
Well, to start with the... hm, I can't say "core" or "basics", can I? :) So, the foundation for genres you might want to look at:

GURPS Horror - The general genre book. Not just Lovecraftian, but all sorts of horror.
GURPS Steampunk - Again, the genre starting place
GURPS Space - Again, a book about the genre. There's no specific setting here, but rather a lot of worldbuilding rules and information on environments, generating planets and star systems, equipment and starship rules, and so on.
GURPS High-Tech - The gear and weapons book for everything from the Renaissance up to modern day (keeping in mind that 3e is a couple of decades old). (The one for stone age through medieval is called "Low-Tech". The one for SF gadgetry is "Ultra Tech" and "Ultra Tech 2".)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:23 AM   #70
Anders

I'm sorry, I have to say it - In my opinion, 4th edition is the superior product. And you will have an easier time finding groups that play 4th edition.

Tags
pod; print on demand