Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #81
Anaraxes

Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
Nah, {Isekai} it has been around for ages

It isn't a new trope, the "anime" people just gave it a name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
"Cross-worlds fiction".
"Portal fantasy" is pretty commonly used in the industry, at least in this millenium. Goes back to "Alice in Wonderland" at the very least in its modern form, whatever the sub-genre is called. Thomas the Rhymer goes back to the 1400s. You can decide if you want to count more ancient stories like sailing to another of the Nine Worlds in Norse mythology, or Orpheus visiting the underworld in Greek.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 12-06-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #82
AlexAB

Well, I understand that talking about GURPS Vehicles won't get it released, but I feel it is still important to mention it, if only to give SJGames some sign of how numerous (or not) its public is. But there are plenty other things that I would love to see for GURPS anniversary as well:

GURPS Damage Physics: I know there is some kind of article that discusses how the damage formula for projectiles is derived. But it would be nice to have a supplement where this is discussed with a bit of care. Furthermore, it could go over other types of damage, such as burning and electrical, which seem to be very hand-waved on the basic set. Damage resistance for various types of materials, alongside formulas and some discussion of the logic behind these would be great too!

Solo Adventures: I rather enjoyed some of those solo adventures GURPS released. Would be nice to have more of those. These can also be retro-fitted for group play, so they can fill two niches at once.

GURPS Bestiary: A book of monsters, and even just beasts, would be really useful to have.

GURPS Weather: Ok, maybe the idea here is a bit too niche, having a whole book (even it if was only thirty something pages) devoted to determining the weather in some place. But if you combined it with the approach in the GURPS Disaster book, it could make for a good sandbox tool!
AlexAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #83
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAB View Post
GURPS Damage Physics: I know there is some kind of article that discusses how the damage formula for projectiles is derived. But it would be nice to have a supplement where this is discussed with a bit of care. Furthermore, it could go over other types of damage, such as burning and electrical, which seem to be very hand-waved on the basic set. Damage resistance for various types of materials, alongside formulas and some discussion of the logic behind these would be great too!
I would also like more tools to help make the 'intellectual infrastructure' of GURPS clearer (what parts of the rules depend on assumptions in other parts or consistency with earlier rules, underlying assumptions and formulas). That is GURPS' strength ... it is the only rules system I know which is based on our world in a consistent way, backed by domain experts. It also has a versatile, simple core mechanic but that is not so unique as it was back in the day.

Information is out there in Pyramid 2 and other places, but its scattered.

But the problem is that scholarly and tech-head gamers don't seem to be a big market, and that SJG believes that the perception of GURPS as a system for engineering majors and grognards hurt its sales with gamers in general. GURPS Hot Spots: The Incense Trail and GURPS Locations: Worminghall have no bibliographies, and I assume that the authors were told that it was better to use their 10 pages on things which were directly game-usable.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #84
AlexanderHowl

GURPS Elemental Courts, which would be an exploration of the politics of the courts of Air, Earth, Fire, Metal, Void, Water, and Wood. It would include templates dozens of elementals (and their variants) from each of the seven Elemental Courts, ranging from 40 CP to 1000 CP. Each template would list three favored offerings when summoned: a minor offering the guarantees a Good Reaction and the standard hour of service, a moderate offering that guarantees a Very Good Reaction and a day of service, and a major offering that guarantees an Excellent Reaction and a month of service.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:12 AM   #85
Donny Brook

A comprehensive living index.
A list of optional rule switches.

(Edit: I kust noticed I am echoing Dencat from a few pages up.)

Last edited by Donny Brook; 12-07-2020 at 06:33 AM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #86
Dammann

I want GURPS All in a Night’s Work 4e

(... and GURPS Vehicles, but I just want to register that without further comment).
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #87
awesomenessofme1

I'd really like something along the lines of GURPS Vehicle Index. I personally have no need for a vehicle design system, but I could get a lot of utility out of just a long list of tables and descriptions for a variety of land, air, and sea vehicles at different tech levels. The generic car stats from Action 6 was one of my favorite parts. And unlike VDS, hey, maybe it's actually feasible.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #88
(E)

My GURPS birthday present would likely be a one book setup plus blank character sheets plus a GMs screen.
The main book would be a slimmed down version of the basic books, with a nod to a couple of generic game worlds. Say slightly gritty fantasy and Bug/monster hunt sci-fi/modern.

Something I can pull out to game with newbies and my kids.

Going with the wish list idea, I would personally love to be part of the development of a Gurps Agriculture and Demographics product.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #89
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

There are a lot of things here which are perfectly good products (I mean, GURPS Weather? I'd buy that), but don't really say "celebration" or even really "GURPS" to me. I mean, yeah, they're GURPS books, but one more or less book in the line doesn't really speak to me as something which commemorated GURPS as a whole. So here's a thing:

Swag. T-shirts with the GURPS logo (yes, I remember the t-shirt kickstarter a while back and even got one of the shirts, but despite what they represented none of them actually said GURPS on them). Also mugs and hats and cell phone cases and all that kind of thing. Dice boxes designed for 3d6 and 6d6. Something that isn't just one more GURPS book or utility, but something which makes GURPS more physically, materially visible. One of the things I've noticed about TFT is that it's getting a bunch of product: play mats, custom dice, puzzles, dice bags, and all that kind of thing. I'd like to see some of that, but for GURPS.

(Now, there is a valid objection to that, in that TFT has a specific setting and its own tropes, so you can do products based on octopi and the Thorsz and Liz Danforth's admittedly iconic artwork in ways you can't do with the ultimate do-everything RPG, but surely something could be done.)

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #90
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Swag. T-shirts with the GURPS logo (yes, I remember the t-shirt kickstarter a while back and even got one of the shirts, but despite what they represented none of them actually said GURPS on them). Also mugs and hats and cell phone cases and all that kind of thing. Dice boxes designed for 3d6 and 6d6. Something that isn't just one more GURPS book or utility, but something which makes GURPS more physically, materially visible. One of the things I've noticed about TFT is that it's getting a bunch of product: play mats, custom dice, puzzles, dice bags, and all that kind of thing. I'd like to see some of that, but for GURPS.
I'm with you, and I bought 3 of the shirts, one already has worn a hole in the armpit. I really really want something I can proudly display to promote GURPS.
And putting "GURPS 35th Anniversary!" or "GURPS 35 years old!" would be more of a conversation starter and statement.
Stickers, patches give us a lot of ways to apply and promote and should be profitable through a kickstarter.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anniversary, gurps