Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2020, 09:32 PM   #61
Shostak

Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

I'd find it both pleasant and useful to have some very well crafted mystery adventures all worked up, particularly in the Horror, Monster Hunters, and Transhuman Space lines.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #62
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Money means a lot. If, say, 5000 people buy the same supplement as you do rather than 500, that means SJ Games gets ten times as much money. That means more funding for more and better art and maps. That means hiring on more (and, plausibly, better paid) editorial staff and grooming someone to be another Kromm, so the actual Kromm gets to spend a little more time on tango and mixing drinks and less time on work. That means more authors writing more books (since it's a more attractive financial proposition) so you get MOAR GURPS!!!1!! And if 50,000 people buy it? Even more so. It's an indirect effect, certainly, but it's real.
Indeed. I was commenting only on the very "small picture" impact of a work's popularity: whether a product has ten buyers or a million doesn't change that product's utility to me*. But certainly, the popularity means a lot to the creators - and it's meaningful to me in terms of the future products it'll enable, as you say.

*Even this isn't entirely true, especially in the online age. A lot of buyers will mean more people talking about it, and maybe suggesting new ways to get the most out of it.

Quote:
At the risk of expressing a view clouded by self-interest as a sometime member of that team, I quite agree. Not the kind of thing SJ Games can organize, of course, but still..
Right. It's not a "something I wish SJG would do"; it's a "something I wish would somehow happen".

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 02:19 AM   #63
Crystalline_Entity

I'm slowly running out of GURPS to buy too. The latest Kickstarter was a brilliant opportunity for me to fill out my collection, but I probably wouldn't be able to back many more at $99 as I'd run out of things to buy. There's also the (frequent) "issue" of products which look so fantastic that I'm going to buy them immediately and not wait for a Kickstarter or W23 sale or anything.

I agree with previous comments about SJG's production values, the quality of the products is amazing. The only things which occasional look a bit lacklustre are maps.

To answer the original question, there aren't really many gaps I can think of in GURPS. Being able to run a city/kingdom/star empire is one, but I think there's a supplement in preparation on that. I mean, there are plenty of GURPS licensed properties I'd love to see (GURPS Middle-earth, GURPS Star Trek, GURPS Wheel of Time), but I understand there are many reasons that's unlikely to happen, and I guess the more specific the product the smaller the audience who'll buy it. And to be honest, GURPS does give me the tools to do them myself if I had the time/motivation. A "GURPS Space Opera", would be nice, to build on the Template Toolkit 3 Starship Crew, but between that and GURPS Space and the Spaceships series most of the components are there already.

I'd buy more settings, SJG's settings can be inspirational and evocative (Transhuman Space, Infinite Worlds, etc), but I imagine any given setting would have a smaller group of potential buyers than something more generic.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:00 AM   #64
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'd love to see the Gurps blogger community have a resurgence this year. Its still around, but its much more subdued than a few years ago. I think I'm seeing an uptick though.

Someone mentioned they'd like to see psi-wars be made official. I don't want that: I want someone to make the next psi-wars, but a different genre.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:58 AM   #65
sgtcallistan

A large number of genre-specific (but small and cheap) books / pdfs that solve the widely-perceived problem of the 'huge frightening toolbox'.

Essentially GURPS Lite plus genre, plus at least one campaign example within that genre (variations permitted). - plus a short list of what little is actually needed to tweak your own campaign.

Cards with illos of 'what to do next' may be useful, as well as item and treasure cards. Especially if they are generic enough to be used in other genres and become collectible.

Call them 'only what you want' books.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #66
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Isekai is only popular in Japan/Anime circles and even there it seems to be something of a fad that's dying out, and that still doesn't help the problem of not having a story to develop
Nah, it has been around for ages and probably got big in the West first. Just not under that title. Captain N, Dugeons and Dragons (TV series), every freakin' time travel series ever, Star Trek often has character get lost in other worlds, etc. And then you have a ton of reverse-isekai stuff like Biker-mice from Mars or whatever.

It isn't a new trope, the "anime" people just gave it a name.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #67
Dencat

GURPS GURPS.
A comprehensive and cross-referenced tool for finding that elusive rules variant.
Dencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #68
AlexanderHowl

The Accidental Travel subgenre is quite old in Western fiction, dating at least back to 1726 with the publication of Gulliver's Travels, though I would argue that the tales of Sindad the Sailor are actually the ur-example. In Western fiction though, the traveler often changes their new home rather than adapting to their new home, which is a key aspect of Isekai anime and manga like Inuyasha. In fact, GURPS has rules on doing exactly that, as characters with high TL skills are capable of creating objects from their time and/or lifting the local TL with a lot of work.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #69
dcarson

Which is a book I'd like. Gurps Robinsonade for the stranded person or group building the new area up. There is stuff on it but it could use a lot more detail.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #70
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Which is a book I'd like. Gurps Robinsonade for the stranded person or group building the new area up. There is stuff on it but it could use a lot more detail.
There was a non-GURPS Traveller book with large-scale rules for building a colony on an empty planet. A GURPS version of that would be good if there isn't something like that already.

Tags
anniversary, gurps