Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Ivar

Default How to build the ability of Steve? (Main Character of Minecraft)?

I encountered difficulties when trying to build the ability of the game character to mine and place blocks. As well as the ability to incredibly fast create objects.

There is also another problem. I would like so that materials placed by character, to obey the laws of physics from Minecraft. That is, the blocks are hanging in the air, the water is created from nothing, and so on. But I no have idea how to build this power.

You may ask why not just simulate it as a zero-point advantage? The fact that the game assumes that the other characters do not have access to these forces. Although they have access to other equally strong and strange abilities.

I apologize for my not too good level of English. I'm really sorry.

Edit: Just a little fact I have roughly calculated the how many levels of the payload need to simulate the inventory at maximum ratings. The basis was to take an example where the inventory was fully occupied with golden blocks. That gives a weight of about 44,500 tons. And to be honest, I'm thinking about another way to build it. Because it too expensive

Last edited by Ivar; 08-25-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Terwin

Default Re: How to build the ability of Steve? (Main Character of Minecraft)?

To be able to create new things quickly would be Gadgeteer or Fast Gadgeteer.
This character can instead create a specific set of items in a limited amount of time.

Personally, I would not take the actual manufacturing time-frame from a computer game with crafting abilities as literal, I would consider them abstracted out to reduce player boredom.

As far as inventory goes, I would give the character 27 distinct Payload compartments(Presumably cosmic so that they do not count as encumbrance)

For affecting how the character interacts with the world to be more like Minecraft, I would suggest looking at Control(Mater) with appropriate limitations.
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
Bruno

Another way to create things very quickly is with the Snatcher advantage, with the Creation enhancement. You can take more enhancements on it to improve how much the item can weigh.

Blocks can't be placed mid air, but they can be "mined out" to be left hanging in the air, and placed blocks have no respect for supporting themselves. That reminds me of the Shape Earth/Stone spell. For advantages, the equivalent is Control...
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwin View Post
I would suggest looking at Control(Mater) with appropriate limitations.
I don't think anyone can control Tow Mater. ;)
Old 08-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
As far as inventory goes, I would give the character 27 distinct Payload compartments(Presumably cosmic so that they do not count as encumbrance)
Your Payload doesn't count as encumbrance. "Treat your Payload as part of your body, not as encumbrance or carried weight, when calculating Move and using advantages with limited carrying capacity, such as Invisibility, Jumper, and Warp." (B74)
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #6
Peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Your Payload doesn't count as encumbrance. "Treat your Payload as part of your body, not as encumbrance or carried weight, when calculating Move and using advantages with limited carrying capacity, such as Invisibility, Jumper, and Warp." (B74)
Something related (and VERY common for video game characters) is the +50% Cosmic enhancement to turn Payload into "hammerspace", as mentioned on pg. 76 of GURPS Powers.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:32 PM   #7
Tyneras

A stack of 64 one-meter cubes is equal to a payload of 45203 lbs if you take the cargo option, letting you store anything up to 64 m^3.

At ST 10 this is 2260 levels of payload. 565 levels at ST 20, or 1 level at ST 476.

Steve may want to invest in some Lifting ST (only for payload).
Old 08-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
Dingle

Another way of looking at the mining and payload is the ability to transform a Cubic meter of something to a ~10 cm cube with one or more ready actions depending on the material and what tools he has to hand.
These smaller cubes are then carried around.
Dingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
Ivar

Thank you all for advice. It helped me to find solutions to problems.
Quote:
Personally, I would not take the actual manufacturing time-frame from a computer game with crafting abilities as literal, I would consider them abstracted out to reduce player boredom.
Under normal circumstances, I would not translate game craft time in real time. But here some special situation. Considering that Minecraft has nothing except the gameplay, I went with a version where everything works the same as in the gameplay.
Quote:
For affecting how the character interacts with the world to be more like Minecraft, I would suggest looking at Control(Mater) with appropriate limitations.
Yes, I forgot all about control. I think to make it 30 points per level, as the Godlike control (P92). It now remains calculate how many levels of control needed for its impact on one the heaviest block in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
Steve may want to invest in some Lifting ST (only for payload).
Yes, it remains only to understand whether such a restriction be worth something. Hmm, I think it will be either -20% or -50%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
Another way of looking at the mining and payload is the ability to transform a Cubic meter of something to a ~10 cm cube with one or more ready actions depending on the material and what tools he has to hand.
These smaller cubes are then carried around.
Hmm, it's quite an interesting idea. Given that Shrinking, reduces weight of the object, it may be a good alternative to a large payload level in this case. I think that adding Affects Others will be enough.

Last edited by Ivar; 08-26-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
Nereidalbel

It seems to me more like he's using Create with Destruction Only to break things, and placing them is Snatcher modified to only use what he's broken with his Create, and what he can craft with said materials.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build advice, minecraft