Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Gidoza

Default Hitting Myself

I imagine I CAN do any of the following, but I just wanted to make sure...

1. Can I curse myself? (unless, of course, the card specifically says OPPONENT on it)
2. Can I use monster enhancers on a monster I am fighting? And other potions?
3. Can I toss in a Wandering Monster or Undead Monster in a battle that I myself am fighting?
4. Can I use a variety of abilities or other cards on myself, if the card wording made that possible and appropriate?

In a slightly related theme...

A. Can I use potions and the like to boost my own strength when I am already winning the battle? (reasons to do this: stuff like getting a 2nd level from Orc ability, or what have you)

B. Well, this isn't entirely related, but is at least associated with combat. If someone tosses something like "Death" on a monster for any reason, and that was the last monster in the combat, is it already too late to toss in a Wandering Monster or an Undead Monster at this point? How about "Dead Broke?"

Thanks!
-Gid
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Hitting Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidoza View Post
1. Can I curse myself? (unless, of course, the card specifically says OPPONENT on it)
Yep. And I don't think any qualifier is needed on 'opponent' type cases as they have to be written in a way that they work when you Kick Open a Door.

Quote:
2. Can I use monster enhancers on a monster I am fighting? And other potions?
Yep. You can play One-Shot Items to aid the monsters if you like. And playing Monster Enhancers on monsters you know you can kill is a good way to get extra Treasure too.

Quote:
3. Can I toss in a Wandering Monster or Undead Monster in a battle that I myself am fighting?
Assuming you follow the rules, yes (there must already be an Undead to play Undeads without Wandering Monster).

Quote:
4. Can I use a variety of abilities or other cards on myself, if the card wording made that possible and appropriate?
I'm fairly sure that's a yes, but this one seems rather vague. What sort of stuff are you talking about? An example of something that can't happen is that a Thief cannot Backstab himself as it says you can only choose another player. I guess you could backstab your helper or the guy who you are helping if you really wanted to, though...

Quote:
A. Can I use potions and the like to boost my own strength when I am already winning the battle? (reasons to do this: stuff like getting a 2nd level from Orc ability, or what have you)
Yes, but you still have to give reasonable time after doing this before actually claiming victory.

Quote:
B. Well, this isn't entirely related, but is at least associated with combat. If someone tosses something like "Death" on a monster for any reason, and that was the last monster in the combat, is it already too late to toss in a Wandering Monster or an Undead Monster at this point? How about "Dead Broke?"
If the card mentions anything that implies combat is over, then it is too late. Otherwise, you still have to provide reasonable time before claiming victory, in which a Wandering Monster could be played. Neither Dead nor Dead Broke end the combat, and Dead Broke doesn't remove the monster, just its Treasure, so you still have to beat it to get a level or Run Away from it if you can't. An example of a card which does end the combat is Friendship Potion as it says the player who was in combat may Loot the Room.

Last edited by Clipper; 05-22-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Gidoza

Thanks, all this makes sense! Just one point of clarification, because I realize now that I worded one sentence very badly...

Quote:
You answered this question just fine with regard to the Wandering Monster. However, what I *wanted* to ask as the second part of the question was this: If someone uses "Death" on a monster - thereby defeating it - is it too late at that point or not to use "Dead Broke" on that same monster?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
tremorlaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidoza View Post
Thanks, all this makes sense! Just one point of clarification, because I realize now that I worded one sentence very badly...

You answered this question just fine with regard to the Wandering Monster. However, what I *wanted* to ask as the second part of the question was this: If someone uses "Death" on a monster - thereby defeating it - is it too late at that point or not to use "Dead Broke" on that same monster?
Since cards are resolved as they are played, I don't think there is an opportunity to play Dead Broke. Once a Monster is Defeated the only options that I can think of are Annihilation or Wandering Monster cards being played.

Future site of Griffon Gaming
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Clipper

I'm not aware of a card called Death, but I assume you mean Dead, or some other method of automatically defeating a monster.

To add to what tremorlaine said, when you play Dead or kill the monster through any other means before the end of combat, the monster is discarded. Thus, you can't play Dead Broke onto it afterwards as that card just removes treasure from one monster, and there is no longer any monster.

However, you could play a card like Curse! Fool's Gold, which says that you get no treasure from the next (or current if you are in one) battle during the reasonable time to stop the player earning any Treasure. This is because that particular Curse affects the combat, not just one monster.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Gidoza

Gotcha, I understand. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Gidoza

One more question - the "Dead" card - is that usable only when there is only one monster in the combat? The way the latter half of the card is phrased (regarding treasures) seems to suggest this, but "usable only one monster only" hardly suggests that this is the scenario: it would seem like you could use it on ONE monster in a two-monster fight to reduce you down to one, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Clipper

As the card says, play it on any one monster. That means you select one monster that is currently present, not that there must be only one monster present to play it.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Gidoza

So how do I deal with the fact that the card says to "loot its treasure"? I presume that this means that I only get the treasure if I kill all the OTHER monsters in the combat. (so, it would be like using the Wizard's Charm on one of two monsters in the fight, except - unlike Charm - I'd still get the treasures for the charmed one)
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Clipper

Yes. As it doesn't say to immediately take the Treasure or to end the combat, I think it's the same as most of the other automatic defeat cards. There is a slight flavour to the wording that could mean the intent was otherwise, so I won't argue if Andrew or Erik shoots me down on this one, but I just don't think the wording is strong enough to make it end the combat.