Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
zot

Default Pure speculation

These issues we've been discussing for the past couple years all make me wonder what Steve has up his sleeve. Is there a TFT 2.0 in the works? Otherwise why name the current TFT, "Legacy Edition"?

If I were to make a 2.0, I'd add one more attribute: IN, for inspiration, that would handle will power, social things, wisdom, bravery, leadership, intuition, etc. You could also call it Will but I think I like Inspiration better than Will because it captures more than just will power.

I'd also use something like Chris Rice's or Skarg's relative DX system. That would also remove opposed rolls since it already handles opposition (and reduces it to a single roll).

Last edited by zot; 11-10-2020 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added intuition
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #2
Kieddicus

Default Re: Pure speculation

I do hope that the game continues to be revised and added to. I have also wondered multiple times before if a fourth stats should be add (though I was thinking perception), but I am starting to think it is actually best that the game sticks to only three stats.

The biggest change I would like to see though is a better job with rule and info not being scattered all over the place. For example Dwarves can mine quicker, but that information is not stated on the dwarves race entry on page 77.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
Terquem

I would like to see a new edition with clarifications but in no way would I like to see additions or expansions.
It is my firm belief that this game was created from proto-concepts of rpg approaches and "trying to add to it to improve it," simply leads to GURPS and we already have that.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Is there a TFT 2.0 in the works? Otherwise why name the current TFT, "Legacy Edition"?
I doubt it. Doing so would lead to all manner of confusion among players who already have to choose between classic and LE rules. I expect support to only build upon LE, not to replace it.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
larsdangly

The only thing I'd like to see that isn't closely similar to existing and planned products is a spell book (or book of new spells and items). Perhaps I'd add a 'side game' for mass combat to that list, but I definitely don't want a new edition with substantially revised rules. Maybe we take that under advisement in another 40 years...
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:50 AM   #6
zot

My great beef with TFT is the huge weirdness from using IQ for social things and fear tests (like ghost fear attacks).

Most wizards should not be expert at social manipulation.

Most heroes should not be easily frightened by ghosts.

Doctors and chemists shouldn't be more charismatic than fletchers.

etc.

If there's a way to fix this without adding a 4th attribute, that'd be great!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
hcobb

Why is Sex Appeal the only social stat that rolls against ST?

I have rules to split ST into health rolls here:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#Health
Old 11-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #8
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Why is Sex Appeal the only social stat that rolls against ST?

I have rules to split ST into health rolls here:

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#Health
Sex appeal rolls against the highest attribute because that attribute is what makes you sexy, I reckon.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
letatcestmoi

I like the simplicity of the three stats. It has both pluses and minuses, but one of the nicest things about this system is that if I need to figure out if a player can do something I just roll 3d6 (and sometimes 4d6) and look at what I figure is the most appropriate stat and see if they're "close enough".

Sometimes when they're searching a room for loot, and there's stuff to be found, I'll simply have them all roll and whoever gets a reasonable number finds something.

I think there's nothing wrong with additional stats within your campaign, but I don't really want to see it as part of the core system.
letatcestmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
TippetsTX

Yeah, don't mess with the 'Holy Trinity'.