Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Sporally

Default Big handful of questions

Hi

I'm pretty new to the game but already I'm very into it. However, a handful of questions have arised from my first few games.

Feel free to answer my questions even if you can't answer them all.
  1. Can another player help someone else get his winning level kill? Can two players help each other if they both are level 9 and the helping Munchkin is an elf?
  2. Do you get to keep your Super Munchkin / Half-breed if you lose your class / race? And can you play a Super Munchking / Half-breed if you have no classe / race (to evade charity)?
  3. Cleric - Resurrection: Can someone please explain to me in detail how it works? My friends and I aren't sure about how it is used.
  4. Cleric +1 level-card (forgot the name): Once played, can it be interrupted by Annihilation / Curse - Lose a level?
  5. When you for any reason must give away cards, can you remove or change a class or race with those on your hand?
  6. Instant wall / Hireling give you an automatic escape. Some cards describe that it must be used before your die roll. Other cards say they don't need to be used before the die roll. Does the instant wall / Hireling (among other cards) need to be used before a die roll?
  7. How is the sex of your character determined? Sometimes you have both a male and a female race / class. And does both race and class determine your sex?
  8. Pantyhose of giant strength: Are they considered items that can be destroyed by the itching powder? I guess not, but on the other hand it is clothing that itching powder could destroy.

Thanks a lot for your help on these questions.
Sporally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Big handful of questions

Welcome to the forums! As a general rule, we ask people to put unrelated questions in separate posts -- it means that other new people can read the thread titles and find answers. But I'll answer these now -- if there's more discussion, we can split that into a separate thread as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporally View Post
Can another player help someone else get his winning level kill? Can two players help each other if they both are level 9 and the helping Munchkin is an elf?
Yes to both questions.

Quote:
Do you get to keep your Super Munchkin / Half-breed if you lose your class / race?
It depends; if you lose ALL your Classes and Races, then you cannot keep Super Munchkin or Half-Breed. If you have two Classes (Races) and you only have to lose one, then you can keep Super Munchkin (Half-Breed).

Quote:
And can you play a Super Munchking / Half-breed if you have no classe / race (to evade charity)?
No.

Quote:
Cleric - Resurrection: Can someone please explain to me in detail how it works? My friends and I aren't sure about how it is used.
At any time a Cleric has to draw a card face up, such as when Kicking Open The Door or drawing Treasure after getting help in combat, the Cleric may discard hand cards to resurrect cards from the top of the appropriate discard pile.

Example 1: A Cleric is Kicking Open The Door. There is a Level 1 monster on top of the Door discards. She discards a card from her hand to resurrect that Level 1 monster instead of turning over the top card from the Door deck.

Example 2: A Cleric just killed the Plutonium Dragon, with help, getting 5 face-up Treasures. The Cleric may discard up to 5 cards from her hand to resurrect that many cards from the top of the Treasure discards. If the Cleric resurrects fewer than 5 cards, the rest are turned over from the Treasure deck normally.

Quote:
Cleric +1 level-card (forgot the name): Once played, can it be interrupted by Annihilation / Curse - Lose a level?
Divine Intervention. The effect is immediate, so if this gives a player the winning level, a Lose a Level curse would not undo the win. Annihilation, however, actually cancels the effect of the card; it would be like Divine Intervention never happened.

Quote:
When you for any reason must give away cards, can you remove or change a class or race with those on your hand?
It depends on the reason. If you are dealing with a Curse or Bad Stuff, you must resolve those before doing anything else. If you're trying to avoid Charity, however, discarding a Class or Race to play a new one is a valid play.

Quote:
Instant wall / Hireling give you an automatic escape. Some cards describe that it must be used before your die roll. Other cards say they don't need to be used before the die roll. Does the instant wall / Hireling (among other cards) need to be used before a die roll?
Provisional answer because I do not have time to look ALL those cards up right now: an auto-escape card that doesn't say when it should be played needs to be played before you roll.

Quote:
How is the sex of your character determined? Sometimes you have both a male and a female race / class. And does both race and class determine your sex?
Your character's sex at the start of the game matches your sex unless you decide otherwise. Playing Class and Race cards is irrelevant to your character's sex.

Quote:
Pantyhose of giant strength: Are they considered items that can be destroyed by the itching powder?
Absolutely -- it's a worn Item.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 08-27-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
Sporally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Welcome to the forums! As a general rule, we ask people to put unrelated questions in separate posts -- it means that other new people can read the thread titles and find answers. But I'll answer these now -- if there's more discussion, we can split that into a separate thread as needed.
Noted!

Quote:
Yes to both questions.
And to ask for help you need to consult one Munchkin at a time? Can't you just through out your request for help and see who bids in? In the rules it seems you have to ask only one player at a time.

Quote:
Your character's sex at the start of the game matches your sex unless you decide otherwise. Playing Class and Race cards is irrelevant to your character's sex.
So you can't change sex during the game?

Quote:
Absolutely -- it's a worn Item.
But isn't cards only considered items if they have a value or designated "No value"?
Old 08-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
And to ask for help you need to consult one Munchkin at a time? Can't you just through out your request for help and see who bids in? In the rules it seems you have to ask only one player at a time.
We have always allowed people to offer help or for the main player to solicit offers to cause a bidding war. And since Steve plays that way, I think it's OK.

Quote:
So you can't change sex during the game?
Not voluntarily, under the rules as written. Some Curses or Bad Stuff, and a VERY few other cards, will change your sex.

Quote:
But isn't cards only considered items if they have a value or designated "No value"?
Yes. The Pantyhose of Giant Strength has a value of 600 Gold Pieces.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

I modified some of Andrew's response, specifically about the Cleric's resurrection ability. It is important to note that the Cleric must discard cards from his hand, not from his hand or in play, as most abilities allow for. This is stated on the Cleric card, but I thought it worth pointing out and fixing.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Thanks, Erik. Working in too many windows at once!

Old 03-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
Sporally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
At any time a Cleric has to draw a card face up, such as when Kicking Open The Door or drawing Treasure after getting help in combat, the Cleric may discard hand cards to resurrect cards from the top of the appropriate discard pile.

Example 1: A Cleric is Kicking Open The Door. There is a Level 1 monster on top of the Door discards. She discards a card from her hand to resurrect that Level 1 monster instead of turning over the top card from the Door deck.

Example 2: A Cleric just killed the Plutonium Dragon, with help, getting 5 face-up Treasures. The Cleric may discard up to 5 cards from her hand to resurrect that many cards from the top of the Treasure discards. If the Cleric resurrects fewer than 5 cards, the rest are turned over from the Treasure deck normally.
So this means you can stay out of a fight even after you've shown the face-up monster after kicking in the door? What if a curse comes up - can you resurrect that one too or will it hit you on beforehand? And do you have to show the door card before you choose to pick it up?
Old 03-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
Brf

The cleric can chose to resurrect a card from the discard pile before drawing from the draw pile. They cannot chose to ignore a card they have already drawn.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
MunchkinMan

Resurrection works such that the card taken from the discards would replace the card that would have been drawn from the appropriate deck for all purposes. So, if you're resurrecting when kicking open the door, you must take the card from the top of the Door discards and that card is the card to which you would apply the "kick open a door" logic: If it's a Monster, fight it, if it's a Curse, it hits you, all others would go into your hand (unless the card says otherwise). You don't draw the card(s), then perform resurrection.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote