Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-21-2022, 10:21 AM   #11
TippetsTX

Default Re: Armor up!

Unless you are looking for a much more detailed model (and ruleset), I think it's nearly impossible to separate armor type from material from coverage at TFT's level of abstraction. My framework is a step in the right direction (I hope), but it still relies on certain FRPG tropes.

And just because I call something CLOTH or LEATHER doesn't mean that's the only material used to create armors on those particular 'rungs' of the ladder. TFT has already established that a BROADSWORD can refer to many other bladed weapons, after all.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-21-2022 at 10:28 AM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 10:45 AM   #12
hcobb

For example Melee, page 23: "his Roman armor counts as chainmail."
Old 12-21-2022, 11:41 AM   #13
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
For example Melee, page 23: "his Roman armor counts as chainmail."
On my table, that would be covered by LAMINAR (aka. 'banded' armor) or REINFORCED LEATHER, but you've got the right idea.

I'm not married to those terms, BTW. They just seemed to be the most commonly understood for the level of protection they are intended to represent.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-21-2022 at 02:26 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:42 PM   #14
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
TFT has already established that a BROADSWORD can refer to many other bladed weapons, after all.
In principle you're right, a name is just a name. But people will use the name to settle questions like "Does the armour contain iron?" and "Can the armour be folded up to fit in a backpack?" so in practice it tends to bleed over.

Reality is that as technology improves both the coverage and the materials technology gets better. The Roman armour-making skills just weren't good enough to cover everything the way the Renaissance did.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:21 PM   #15
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

I've considered armor talents and other modifications, but generally tend to minimize house rules that affect the talent list or equipment.

However, one thing I've considered is:

"Partial Armor. You may suits of armor that leave a significant portion uncovered. Partial armor is half weight, cost, and DX penalty. It protects fully, but an attacker can opt to ignore it by so stating and taking a -2 to DX.

It doesn't protect against Fire hexes or Blast and protects only half as well (round down) against gunpowder explosives (figuring this is a mix of frag and blast) It provides its full armor protection).
Old 01-14-2023, 01:08 AM   #16
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
"Partial Armor. You may suits of armor that leave a significant portion uncovered. Partial armor is half weight, cost, and DX penalty. It protects fully, but an attacker can opt to ignore it by so stating and taking a -2 to DX.
Whataboutism making the to-hit roll by four points more than needed or such?
Old 01-16-2023, 07:12 PM   #17
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Whataboutism making the to-hit roll by four points more than needed or such?
Sure, that can work as well -- although that adds a mechanic not really done that often in the core Legacy rules, even if it is hinted at a few times. The point of this change is something that is fairly minimal.

I actually haven't run a full-fledged campaign under LEGACY rules yet, just individual adventures or short sessions. If I were to run a long campaign, I would change the TFT rules a lot more radically to suit my personal tastes, including adopting some of your own variant suggestions. I would also:

* Halve all MA to fix both "run off the map" issues (and improve realism, but that's secondary).
* Add a defense roll at (DX/2)+3 (penalized if attacked from side, rear, or prone). (I started doing this in my GURPS fantasy games in 1987 and eventually - around 2003 -- got it built into the GURPS 4e core rules...)
* Add over a dozen spells I've devised for my own campaign.
* Replace the LEGACY xp system, also removing the ability to buy talents/skills/etc. separately with XP, but granting IQ-based talents/spells/languages equal to (IQ-5) x 2, with extras gained at that ratio when IQ is improved.
All were things I successfully used in games run between 1983 and 1995 when I was ran a bunch of variant TFT, and still have lots of material for.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:18 PM   #18
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Add over a dozen spells I've devised for my own campaign.
We'd love to see some of those. Feel free to post under this other thread...

Show me the magic!
https://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=161151