Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #11
Ludo

Default Re: Centrum infiltrating Homeline via...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Kjeran
Chello!
How well do they fit the Centran idea of a meritocracy? I think that would be the key determining issue, I would think.
French educational system is supposedly designed to give everyone equal chances in the beginning of one's life. In that sense, I guess that would apply: give everyone the same chances.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #12
Phil Masters

Default Re: Centrum infiltrating Homeline via...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyll
With no mean of offense, you'll be stunned to learn that your sentence fits perfectly the cliché american tourist, from an european point of view...
We have American tourists in these parts too, you know. (And I probably ought to quote Olaf Stapledon here, but I'd have to do a bit too much digging.)

But the cliche there misses out on the "civilising mission" thing. Most Americans have never (stereotypically) decided that was quite their job. The point being that, instead of the European assumption of civilised superiority, they suffer from an assumption of economic superiority...

Quote:
That is a sooo much cliché. We have junk food too. Like Mc Donalds...Ok ok i'm joking :p. We have stinky cheese, and you now have great californian wines, staying in the cliché debate.
I don't think that I have any Californian wine around at the moment... Unless the bottle in the Champagne rack is from there... I mostly seem to end up with Australian stuff for casual drinking.

(And I mostly leave the odiferous cheeses to my wife. Who has a patriotic addiction to Stilton.)

Quote:
Political thinking is not THAT faraway from other european countries...
I was probably thinking of the whole Ecole Superiore training-up-the-technocrats mindset there. Which does seem to be a slightly pecualiarly French idea. Britain or the USA may produce their governing classes from Oxbridge or the Ivy League, but neither exist primarily to crank out more bureaucrats...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds