Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #21
Anders

Default Re: How tough is ice?

21 cm is enough to support a full 17th-century army, if they spread out and march with some caution.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #22
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post

Bingo! Never occured to me. The perversity of the US never ceases to amaze.
You know, I'm a Canadian and have no deep-seated reason to be pro-U.S., but please let's avoid disrespect. Calling a system of weights and measures "perverse" is fine . . . nobody's identity is tied up in that. Calling a country "perverse" is just going to insult people; let's not do that.</MOD>
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
EDIT: Gold's Formula, the standard in Canada and defined in 1971, is P = A x h^2 where:
P is the allowable load in kilograms
A is a parameter that depends on the strength of the ice
h is the effective thickness of good quality ice (cm)

A values of 3.5 and 4 are "acceptable or tolerable", higher numbers are bad quality. Create Ice type powers likely creates some pretty darn good ice (no air pockets or cracks), and I'd give that an A value of 2.5 or so.
Er, higher values of A give higher allowable loads from that equation, don't they?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Er, higher values of A give higher allowable loads from that equation, don't they?
... of course. Odd. *goes back and rereads* (that's from the Alberta link btw)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #25
Bruno

OK, re-examining, the description is not clear but the example helps... sort of.

Quote:
For example, if your task is to move a load of 15,000 kg across an ice cover, you have may choose of A values of 3.5, 4, 5 or 6. If you need to get the load across the ice and have a very short schedule and operating window, then you could select an A value of 6 because it requires a minimum ice thickness (h) of 50 cm. However, this is a substantial risk that would require you to implement the hazards controls identified for substantial risk in Table 4. Alternatively, if you prefer a lesser risk, then you could select a low risk A value of 3.5, where the minimum ice thickness (h) is 70 cm. This A value requires the hazard controls identified for low risk in Table 4.
A is more like "level of risk you're willing to take". Looks like for good quality ice, (like what you'd get with Create Ice) you'd be able to risk a larger A without taking the precautions normally associated with it. Bleurg, that was not clearly presented.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
ssveter

Alas the banter is great. Lots of fun to read. The next question is how much does a cubic foot of ice weigh at sea level as a baseline and what is the lapse rate as you ascend in altitude.

I ask because I built a super villain that can create 990 lbs of ice. This ice could be used to form various shapes with her control power. Oh yes what fun it would be for the villain to ask the heroes if they'd like their justice on the rocks and drop a 1/2 ton of ice on them muhahaha.
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #27
ssveter

Wiki answers says

57.41 lbs. Ice is 92% the density of water and water weighs 62.4 lbs per cubic foot.
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, ice, super