Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2005, 07:58 AM   #1
DAT

Default Missing From GURPS 4e Infinite Worlds?

Greetings,
I was looking through my copy of GURPS 4e Infinite Worlds. The background information is awesome, but I can’t find a couple things that I was expecting.

The first, is a description of the standard operations and limitations for equipment. For example, there is an implied limitation that normal projectors send all things to the same point (pg. 27, Wide-Field Projectors), which I interpret as geographical location, but there is no direct description of this limitation that I could find. Another example, I couldn’t find a discussion of the performance or limitation for conveyers, when operational rolls are required, how long does it normally take to transition, etc.

The second, is any discussion of ‘Operations and Accidents’, as per GURPS Time Travel, pp 92-98. There doesn’t appear to be anything on Bad Jumps, Lost Cargo or Passengers, or Lost Conveyers that I can find.

Am I missing it or is the book?

Cheers,
…DAT…
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
tratclif

Default Re: Missing From GURPS 4e Infinite Worlds?

The Parachronic Disasters table isn't in Infinite Worlds, but in Basic: Campaigns (p 532) and I think just reproduces the tables from Time Travel.

And from page 74, "If it's working correctly , a conveyor simply vanishes from one point and reappears intantaneously at the same point on another Earth." So time is normally zero.
tratclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
DAT

Greetings,
My bad. I guess it helps if you look in the correct book. Thank you for the reference.

For the conveyer operation question, when I said “to transition” the issue I was thinking about is how long it takes the operator to power the system up and change settings to a new world (assuming a sub-quantum conveyer) if it isn’t preprogrammed. Or in the case of a preprogrammed sub-quantum conveyer, how long should it take to power the system up? Is it okay to leave the conveyer powered up (Assuming some kind of security measure to prevent unauthorized use) for immediate emergency activation?

The issue is going to come up when the characters are being chased and need to make a quick get away.

Cheers,
…DAT…
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
tratclif

P28 (and I think somewhere in Basic Campaigns too), normally a fuel cell recharges the energy bank in 30 minutes, and there are numbers enough there to figue out exactly. I can't see any technical reason why the fuel cell couldn't be set to trickle in just enough energy to keep the capacitors at jump-level charge for hours.
tratclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:23 PM   #5
Rupert

I assumed that this would be SOP unless the mission time was expected to be more than a few days, as even then if the fuel could be spared keeping the conveyor 'warm' would be normal on any world where a quick getaway might be necessary.

I've always thought the 30 minute charge time was there to stop instant jumps out if the arrival turned out to be hotter than planned - it's much more interesting if the team has to defend the conveyor for that half-hour, rather than just pressing the big red TAKE US HOME NOW! button.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds