Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
Ciaran

Default [Kromm} Powers question: Energy Reserve

As written, Energy Reserve can seemingly be used to power Extra Effort of your Abilities, but not for things like Extra Effort in Combat, etc. Is this the case or am I mistaken?

If it cannot be, what would a fair value be for an Enhancement that allowed it to be used for conventional Extra Effort?
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
Rasmus Wagner

Default Re: [Kromm} Powers question: Energy Reserve

Uh, I dunno...buying it as regular Fatigue Points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran
As written, Energy Reserve can seemingly be used to power Extra Effort of your Abilities, but not for things like Extra Effort in Combat, etc. Is this the case or am I mistaken?

If it cannot be, what would a fair value be for an Enhancement that allowed it to be used for conventional Extra Effort?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus Wagner
Uh, I dunno...buying it as regular Fatigue Points?
Pretty much. The entire point of taking an ER is to set aside some FP for use by powers only. If you can spend those FP for other things, well, they're just regular FP. That said, I suppose that treating extra effort in combat as a special case of "related skills" for a chi ER would be in-genre and not terribly unbalancing. If you can use your FP to energize Power Blow, it seems fair to let them fuel Mighty Blows, too.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Pretty much. The entire point of taking an ER is to set aside some FP for use by powers only. If you can spend those FP for other things, well, they're just regular FP. That said, I suppose that treating extra effort in combat as a special case of "related skills" for a chi ER would be in-genre and not terribly unbalancing. If you can use your FP to energize Power Blow, it seems fair to let them fuel Mighty Blows, too.
Thanks Kromm. The context is for vampires in my GURPS Cabal campaign: they have Doesn't Fatigue, but no Fatigue per se (bought it down to 0 in the template). They don't suffer Fatigue loss from ordinary exertion, or suffer ill effects from being at 1/3 fatigue... they just get hungrier.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
PK

While it's not a "source", per se, I don't see any reason why buying Energy Reserve (Mundane) would be so weird. Doing so would give you "fatigue" points that you could only spend on normal extra effort for regular uses. The drawback (that you can't use it on your powers at all) seems to be a fair tradeoff.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Pee_Kitty
While it's not a "source", per se, I don't see any reason why buying Energy Reserve (Mundane) would be so weird. Doing so would give you "fatigue" points that you could only spend on normal extra effort for regular uses. The drawback (that you can't use it on your powers at all) seems to be a fair tradeoff.
Rev, isn't there an advantage to doing that way that should be reflected in the points? As I see it (and building powers in GURPS is *not* my specialty), what you describe would give the character access to *two* pools of fatigue for the same purpose -- and the two pools recharge at the same time. Kinda like getting the Fit advantage for free, in a way.

Or am I seeing that wrong?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Rev, isn't there an advantage to doing that way that should be reflected in the points? As I see it (and building powers in GURPS is *not* my specialty), what you describe would give the character access to *two* pools of fatigue for the same purpose -- and the two pools recharge at the same time. Kinda like getting the Fit advantage for free, in a way.

Or am I seeing that wrong?
Power Modifier (Mundane). I guess we could assume one, but it would be kind of a strange game 8\
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:23 AM   #8
Brandy

Most of my Superhero gaming is under the hero system. In that system, the corresponding ability (called Endurance Reserve) has the property that anything that you do (i.e. any power) must be defined as drawing either from your personal endurance (GURPS fatigue) or from your Endurance Reserve (GURPS Energy Reserve). I don't know what Powers says, but powers that can draw from either have a positive power modifier in Hero (+1/4, which I suppose is equivalent to 20% in GURPS, but in reality its the smallest value allowed in Hero so anything from 5%-20% is probably about right in GURPS).

So, were it me, I'd allow a character to declare as a 0-point feature that he can power mundane abilities (like extra effort) from his Energy Reserve but this would preclude him from using his FT for that purpose. I would say that being able to draw from either is a small advantage, but upon reflection it's probably not more than a 1 point perk. Sure you *can* recover fatigue at double rate if you spend from both pools but you don't get the other benefits of the Fit advantage.

Wow, that was a long way to go for that. Feel free to disregard. :\
Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
TJA

Not completely the right Thread, but ....

I´VE GOT IT, I´VE GOT IT, ...

Expect some comment on GURPS Powers soon (unfathomable grin).
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote