Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2005, 05:12 PM   #51
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: What's so terrible about Centrum anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon
Um... they DONT send people to Gotha as a general rule... and they do have some measures to stop it on Homeline,
Yes, they completely eradicated the pnuemonic plague presumably with antibiotics.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #52
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon
The regeneration wouldn't help... well, it would help YOU but you'd still be infected, and so could spread it to others, and I'm not sure what the rules of regeneration and diseases are... I know regeneration doesnt' "cure" the disease.
If the disease does straight hit point damage, regen probabably keeps the disease in remission. He might not even be a carrier except under special circumstances. It's technically still there but might not spread well. (then again, it might!)

However, Regen ONLY applies to Hit Point type game mechanical damage, which may extend to 'stun points' and FP with enhancments or GM fiat.

Any disease result that would be simulated with the Affliction power is not protected by Regen at all. Let's use Cholera as an example, where tiny holes in the lining of the stomach lead to massive loss of body fluids (to use a polite term) and death is the result of dehydration more than anything else. Regen should plug those holes based on the general principle of what it does. Technically, it doesn't, it just repairs hit points of damage. Those little holes, collectively do not amount to even one hp of damage.

All disease damage ultimately is tissue damage. Brain damage from a fever for another example. The game mechanics of Regeneration don't take it to the point where it 'cures' that sort of damage. It's an arbitrary line but it's a DEFINITE line in the sand as it were.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #53
CKayote

Perhaps they only have a vaccine for Gotha.
And if they have anitbiotics for it, nobody says they have to be cheap. Or be lacking in horrific side effects. And if the highly expensive cure is worse than the disease, mercy killings might be standard practice. Centrum doesn't have to have a monopoly on ruthless pragmatism.

CKayote@gmail.com
CKayote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:46 PM   #54
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Yes, they completely eradicated the pnuemonic plague presumably with antibiotics.
Then why haven't they went and eradicated the Gotha disease? Because it's NOT the pneumonic plague anymore... It's a mutation. Like, as I said before, we HAVE cured AIDS. But the cure doesn't work fast enough in the patient, the virus mutates too fast when it is threatened... THAT is the reason it can't be cured yet... we must figure out how to make a cure that will either kill it faster than it mutates, or that will mutate along with it to fully cure it in a patient before it becomes immune to the cure

They may have a "Prime Directive" of sorts, but leaving ANY Gotha parallel infected is a threat to ALL of the Infinite Worlds, so if they could just cure it without having to kill anyone, don't you think they would have done that on all 19 known Gotha parallels?

IF anything, I'd like one of the authors to clarify this point for us... if as you think, antibiotics are all Homeline needed to keep Gotha from becoming an epidemic on Homeline, why haven't they cured all the Gotha parallels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKayote
Perhaps they only have a vaccine for Gotha.
And if they have anitbiotics for it, nobody says they have to be cheap. Or be lacking in horrific side effects. And if the highly expensive cure is worse than the disease, mercy killings might be standard practice. Centrum doesn't have to have a monopoly on ruthless pragmatism.
That's the way I see it.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds