Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #11
quarkstomper

Default Re: [INFINITE WORLDS] Anyone playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
Okay, this is something that's always confused me. I always thought that historical echos were just that. Historical. That is, they corrospond to early points in what is apparently 'Homeline's' history. Hence that's always lead me to believe that if their is an Echo 64 then it's going to definitely have a Lee Harvey Oswald, and if not, then it's not technically an Echo but a close parallel?

This of course assumes you're not using a home brewed version of Infinity (I know many don't like the default Infinity setting). So I was just curious do I understand Echo's correctly, or am I confused on some point? =?
I might have just been imprecise with my terminology. I was working under the assumption that echoes are not necessarily identical to Homeline in a previous time. If they were, then the very arrival of Homeline visitors would make the echo a parallel, because trans-dimensional travellers never visited our world in the past. (Or did they?)

In any case, it must be difficult to differentiate an echo from a really close parallel until a significant divergence could be found. In my plot, the lack of an Oswald would have been a significant divergence. On the other hand, I did mention a few other differences to foreshadow the big twist; for example, I had Hubert Humphrey be the governor of Texas. (Yes, that would be a significant divergence too, I suppose. I just like the name and wanted to use it).
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:27 PM   #12
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper
I might have just been imprecise with my terminology. I was working under the assumption that echoes are not necessarily identical to Homeline in a previous time. If they were, then the very arrival of Homeline visitors would make the echo a parallel, because trans-dimensional travellers never visited our world in the past. (Or did they?)

In any case, it must be difficult to differentiate an echo from a really close parallel until a significant divergence could be found.
Echoes are by definition identical to Homeline up to the local current time. As long as reasonable care is taken in any operations there, the mere presence of parachronic intruders should not cause any reality shift.

Parallels have already passed a divergence point from Homeline's history, sometime in their own past: It could, in fact, be multiple divergences, but a close parallel has only one identifiable dp. If the change was minor and in the recent (local) past, then it may be difficult to distinguish the close parallel from an echo, as you suggest. It seems to be that, the further from current local time the change occurred, the more noticeably different the local worldview will be from the same point in Homeline's history [based solely on my reading of the given descriptions of timelines, not necessarily canonical].
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
ScaredofScissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan

As to Infinite Worlds. I unfortunately have 'never' had the oppertunity to play, much to my dismay. I recently came up with a character concept for a Reign of Steel game.
Wow! That's really cool. You should do some short stories at least if you never get to play...
ScaredofScissors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds