Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #401
trans

Default Re: Ordinary People: Characters [0] to [-50]

Larisa
Waste collector with a difference

0 points

Age about 32 Height: 5'9" Weight: 130

ST 11 [10] HP 11 [0]
DX 10 [0] Will 10 [0]
IQ 10 [0] Per 10 [0]
HT 11 [10] FP 15 [8]
Ally (Mama) [+5]; Fit [+5]; Tenure (full-time municipal employee) [+5]

Addiction (tobacco) [-5]; Alcoholism [-15]; Bad Temper (only when drinking and taken advantage of) (12 or less) [-5]; Criminal Record [-5]; Dependent (12-year old son) [-5]; Gullible [-10]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]
Mild workaholic [-1]; Proud of her German ancestry [-1]; Moderately chummy [-1]; Mild control freak [-1]; Mild Overconfidence [-1]

Animal husbandry and other farming skills degraded over time to dabblers [1]; Brawling-10 [1]; Cooking-9 [1]; Housekeeping-10 [1]; Professional Skill (Waste Collector)-11 [4] (Urban Survival and Area Knowledge default from this)

Cultural Familiarities: CIS [0]; Western [1].
Russian (spoken-native; written-accented) [-1]; German (spoken-accented; written-accented) [4]

Larisa grew up on a farm in Siberia and emigrated to Germany sometime around 15 years ago on the basis of her Volga German ancestry, to which she attributes her strong work ethic. After several years of proving herself as a temp worker, she finally became the first female to become a full-time municipal waste collector in her traditionally-minded German city. Despite her rippling muscles, she lacks body mass, which sometimes makes it hard for her to move large trash containers. As a result, she has to use a lot of Extra Effort and often arrives home exhausted after work.

Unfortunately, Larisa often finds herself being taken advantage of by people she thought were her friends. When that happens she tends to use her fists, at least when she is drunk. The local court has sentenced her to rehab and anger management classes, which she is eager to comply with because she does not want to lose her job.

Last edited by trans; 12-21-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Reduced Weight from 140 to 130.
trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #402
Cybrludite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Candace Abendroth, Tech Support Witch
-50 points
I think I dated her for a short time...

And a somewhat squicky NPC for a sci-fi setting I'm working on.

Suzie the Innocent Bioriod Whore (0 points)

Suzie is one of the three bioroid working girls owned by the proprietors of The Vardo, a "Bronco" class shuttle converted into a tavern/house of ill repute working the asteroid belts of whichever systems they can get themselves transported to. The guy who commissioned her originally was arrested before she was finished when his wife told the police about the bodies of Suzie's predecessors that she had found, so the folks from The Vardo were able to get her on the cheap. She's a modified version of the Heliot template, and the mods combined with her looks confirms one's opinion that the guy who originally commissioned her was creepy as all hell.

Physically she looks to be in her early-to-mid teens (She was made with the "Peter Pan Process" built in.), with platinum-blond hair worn in a bob, a waifish figure, and startlingly blue eyes. She has no idea that there's anything odd about her line of work. TV Tropes would refer to her as an Innocent Fanservice Girl. She just has no frame of reference for life outside of The Vardo. She's trying to learn to be more helpful around the ship while out of cold sleep. Currently that means cleaning, but she's hoping to move up to cooking soon.

ST:8 [-20] HP:8 [0]
DX:12 [40] Will:10 [0]
IQ:10 [0] Per:10 [0]
HT:11 [10] FP: 10 [0]
BL: 13 Dmg: Th: 1d-3, Sw: 1d-2
Basic Speed: 5.75 Basic Move: 5

Templates:
Heliot Bioroid (Early Maturation 3, Sterile, Unusual Biochemistry, HT +1, Broad Minded, Humble, Staid, Self Destruct) [-3]

Advantages:
Appearance, Attractive [4]
English, Spoken (Native) [0]
English, Written (Semi-Literate) [-2]
Cultural Familiarity (Western) [0]

Perks:
Classic Features (Girl Next Door) [1]

Disadvantages:
Gullibility (12 or less) [-10]
Lecherousness (12 or less) [-15]
Social Stigma (Valuable Property) [-10]

Quirks:
Attentive [-1]
Responsive [-1]
Unflappably Cheerful [-1]

Skills:
Body Language (Human) 11 Per+1 [4]
Carousing 12 HT+1 [2]
Cooking 9 IQ-1 [1]
Current Affairs (Pop Culture) 10 IQ+0 [1]
Dancing 11 DX-1 [1]
Erotic Art (Human) 12 DX+0 [2]
Free Fall 12 DX+0 [2]
Housekeeping 10 IQ+0 [1]
Sex Appeal (Human) 12 HT+1 [2] (Includes +1 for Appearance)
Stealth 11 DX-1 [1]
Vacc Suit/TL10 11 DX-1 [1]

Last edited by Cybrludite; 04-09-2013 at 02:52 AM. Reason: I really should proof read...
Cybrludite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #403
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Average People: Characters [0] to [-50]

Charles, Comically Upbeat Beggar [-50 Points]:

Image: A tall, skinny white man with glasses. Usually he sports a long, shaggy brown beard and hair, but he got out of jail recently and is (somewhat) more neatly-groomed at the moment.

Culture: TL 8 [0]; Familiarity: Western [0]; Languages: English (Native / Broken) [-2];

Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 9 [-20]; HT 10 [0];

Secondary: Speed: 5.0 [0]; Move: 6 [5]; HP: 10 [0]; FP: 10 [0]; Perception: 10 [5]; Willpower: 9 [0];

Advantages: Charisma +1 [5]; Fearlessness x1 [2]; Independent Income X5 [5]; Pitiable [5];

Perks: Can Pass (Regular Employed, Indoor-Sleepin' Hippie) [1]; Classic Features (Hippie) [1]; Patience of Job [1];

Disadvantages: Addiction (Tobacco) [-5]; Bad Sight (Mitigator: Glasses -60%) [-10]; Chummy [-5]; OPH (BO) [-5]; Pacifism (Can't Harm Innocents AND Reluctant Killer) [-15]; Skinny [-5]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5]; Status -2 [-10]; Wealth (Poor) [-15];

Quirks: Incompetence: Intimidation [-1]; Mild Gluttony [-1]; Mild Gullibility [-1]; Mild Laziness [-1]; Mild Truthfulness [-1];

Skills: Area Knowledge (E) (Downtown Neighborhood) IQ+2 [4]-11; Current Affairs/TL8 (E) (People) [1]-9; Hiking (A) HT-1 [1]-9; Panhandling (A) IQ+5cp [4]-14; Public Speaking (A) IQ+1c [2]-10; Scrounging (E) Per+1 [2]-11; Streetwise (A) IQ+1 [4]-10; Survival (A) (Urban) Per+1 [4]-11;

c = +1 for Charisma
p = +3 for Pitiable

Notes: Part of our continuing series: "Wacky People From the Streets of Real Life Denver," suitable for a recurring Contact or bizarre recurring encounter for a character with Weirdness Magnet in a realistic or Modern Horror setting.

Background: Charles begs for money downtown. He's actually pretty good at it, and doesn't blow it all on stupid crap like a substance-abuse problem (aside from tobacco), but still never seems to get ahead.

Sample Dialogue: "Hello! I'm a panhandler. Can you please spare a dollar for food?" "Nah, sorry bud; I haven't even broke even yet today." "I get that. I'm just trying to get some food. I just got robbed, y'know." "Wow, that's rough. Sorry I can't help, man. Hey, where've you been the past few months?" "Oh, I did some time..." "What for?" "I dunno, I guess they thought I needed a vacation. Do you have a cigarette..?"

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 02-01-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #404
Libertine

Default Re: Average People: Characters [0] to [-50]

"Okay. . . that's the sort of disad I would personally disallow because it doesn't actually disadvantage this character in any way, where as a sense of duty might.

A disadvantage like reluctant killer I would usually give to someone who has been in the position where they have had to kill, and they realize that the thought of it is disturbing afterwards - so a non-adventurer or non-hunter for instance couldn't have "reluctant killer" - they aren't ever in a posiiton to need to make that choice - so it is more of a quirk level disad for them."

Since these are NPC's the amount of points is moot unless it takes them above 50 points for a standard human max. these disadvantages on a non adventurer color how they respond to a violent crime or a crisis event. if the pc's decide to terrorise a pre school, then kathy would run and hide or, if brave, focus on getting the children to safety.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 AM   #405
Dammann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
The Best-Dressed Scavenger in Denver
I'm- I'm pretty sure I've seen this guy around 16th St Mall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
The Dancing Robot Mime
This guy, though, this guy I have DEFINITELY spoken with. Interesting to know that he is sane, and given his occasional wit, it's not super surprising. The Robot Mime COMMITS.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #406
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
What a piece of human trash. Great job! He is a very nice low power villian for a ''modern weirdness'' kind of game. I yearn to kill him and [maybe] take his stuff.
If you do, be sure you sterilize it first, maybe sprinkle it with Holy water.

All right, after reading through the entire thread I have a question that I hope is on topic. That does do characters in GURPS get a positive modifier to skill rolls for routine and common actions with their skills and professions? Another game I use with roughly the same skill scale suggests a +3 to +5 bonus in such situations (common, routine often repeated actions like doing your job under no special pressure or risk) or even foregoing a roll at all so an 11- roll is good enough to be a "professional" making a living at your job as most rolls would be getting a large bonus
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #407
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I'm- I'm pretty sure I've seen this guy around 16th St Mall.
I can't make this stuff up. :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
This guy, though, this guy I have DEFINITELY spoken with. Interesting to know that he is sane, and given his occasional wit, it's not super surprising. The Robot Mime COMMITS.
Sadly, I haven't seen him around downtown Denver at all lately. I'm thinking he might've taken his act up to Pearl Street in Boulder (spotted him there once while I was dating a girl up there).
Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #408
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
All right, after reading through the entire thread I have a question that I hope is on topic. That does do characters in GURPS get a positive modifier to skill rolls for routine and common actions with their skills and professions?
Task Difficulty Modifiers, Basic Set, Campaigns, p.345:

+4 or +5Easy.
Most mundane tasks,
including rolls made by ordinary
people at day-to-day jobs.
Example: A Driving roll to commute to work in a small town.

That +4 to +5 task difficulty modifier is part and parcel of how to stat ordinary people doing their routine day to day jobs.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #409
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Task Difficulty Modifiers, Basic Set, Campaigns, p.345:

+4 or +5Easy.
Most mundane tasks,
including rolls made by ordinary
people at day-to-day jobs.
Example: A Driving roll to commute to work in a small town.

That +4 to +5 task difficulty modifier is part and parcel of how to stat ordinary people doing their routine day to day jobs.
Oh good, then i wasn't that off. I was wondering after all the discussion about character with 10 or 11- being considered incompetent.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #410
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
Oh good, then i wasn't that off. I was wondering after all the discussion about character with 10 or 11- being considered incompetent.
This is a topic that has risen from the ocean to devour many a thread, including parts of this one. It can't truly be destroyed any more than Gojira.

Tags
npcs