Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #391
Fwibos

Default Re: Ordinary People: Characters [0] to [-50]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
The Stripping Pirate [0 Points]:

Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Fit [5];

Perks: Schtick (Sexy Pose) [1];

Notes: Part of our continuing series: "Wacky People From the Streets of Real Life Denver." Observed walking down the street several times, and now getting kicked out of Denver Diner for stripping and thrusting his pelvis at a table full of men (who cheered and gave him dollar bills) the other night.
Wow. i have to tell, these people, plus My old Sensei and the hottest bellydancer I know, all kind of convince me to move to Denver. I think I'd fit right in.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #392
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
Wow. i have to tell, these people [snip] kind of convince me to move to Denver. I think I'd fit right in.
Don't move to Denver if you want to be in a freak show. We have our share of freaks, who I cheerfully document for your reading pleasure, but plenty of cities top us for that. Move to Denver if you want to live in the city with the highest percentage of sunny days and physically fit people in the USA.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #393
Fwibos

Quote:
Don't move to Denver if you want to be in a freak show. We have our share of freaks, who I cheerfully document for your reading pleasure, but plenty of cities top us for that. Move to Denver if you want to live in the city with the highest percentage of sunny days and physically fit people in the USA.
I like sunny days, but I'd lower the amount of physically fit people.
but like I said, my Jujitsu-Sensei moved their a few (actually, mumble-mumble) years back, and I still crush on a certain bellydancer from sheboygan, my home town (originally).

At least I could find an exercise buddy.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #394
KevinJ

Default Re: Average People: Characters [0] to [-50]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Ze'Manel,

It is called "moral turpitude" and a teacher (or anyone that has contact with children especially small children) can be fired on that basis. So yes, her "eclectic" sex life needs to be a secret. This btw is not just in the bible-belt. To my knowledge it applies even in fairly liberal states such as Wa, Or, and Ca. I know it applies in WA because my father is a (retired) teacher in WA.

-Polaris
Tell that to the Teachers unions.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #395
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
I like sunny days, but I'd lower the amount of physically fit people.

At least I could find an exercise buddy.
All the nice weather is a good reason to spend time doing outdoorsy things, which will help you fit in.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #396
pawsplay

Candace Abendroth, Tech Support Witch
-50 points

Image: Candace is a plump, blond woman in her late 30s. Her entire wardrobe seems to consist of peasant blouses, linen slacks, and sundresses. She wears lots of amber jewelry and a humongous hematite pendant engraved with a pentagram the size of silver dollar.

Culture: TL 8 [0]; Familiarity: Western [0]; Languages: English (Native / Native) [0];

Attributes: ST 8 [-20]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 10 [0];

Secondary: Speed: 5.0 [0]; Move: 4 [-5]; HP: 8 [0]; FP: 9 [-3]; Perception: 10 [0]; Willpower: 10 [0];

Advantages: Resistant to Food-Borne Illness (+3) [3]; Smooth Operator 1 [15]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Accessibility, only while nude, -50%) [1].
Perks: Dabbler (Dotcommer: +3 to Electronics Repair (Computer) and Web Page Design)) [1]; Good with Cats [1].
Disadvantages: Chummy [-5]; Odious Personal Habit (discussing polyamory, nudism, and paganism with absolutely everyone, all the time) [-10]; Pacifism (Total) [-30]; Stubbornness [-5].
Quirks: Attentive; Delusion (Various misunderstandings of pagan history gleaned from popular writings); Does not concern herself with food safety; Proud; Bad Reputation (as a pagan, -1 from non-liberal Christians). [-5]

Skills: Computer Operation/TL8 IQ [2]-11; Connoisseur (Handmade Crafts) IQ-1 [1]-9; Drive (Car) DX [1]-10; Fast-Talk IQ-1 [1]-11*; Hobby (Popular Fiction) IQ [1]-10; Law (US Labor Laws) IQ-1 [1]-9; Meditation Will-1 [1]-9; Pharmacy (Herbal)/TL8 IQ-1 [1]-9; Ritual Magic (Witchcraft) IQ-2 [1]-8; Religious Ritual (Wicca) IQ-1 [1]-9; Savoir-Faire IQ [1]-11*; Theology (Wicca) IQ-1 [1]-9;

Background: Candace seems like she should be working at a craft store or something, but somewhere along the way, she was seduced by the world of Usenet, chatrooms, and homepages. Now she does tech support over the phone. She is seemingly blessed with endless patience, letting customers work at their own pace. However, if anyone gets cross with her, she gets into a huff and becomes much less cooperative. During those long lulls in conversation while computers are rebooting, she knows just what to do: make friendly conversation about open relationships, witchcraft, and nudism. Sometimes her explanations for things like taking breaks or having days off make so little sense, people just agree to anything she says so that they don't have to try to think about it. In contrast to her fairly medicore tech support skills, she has a somewhat encyclopedic knowledge of US Supreme Court rulings on religious freedom and employer accomodations of religious practices, enough to keep her employed months at a time. She likes to buy humongous sandwiches and "save the rest for later," "later" sometimes meaning "after a weekend of sitting in her desk drawer." In general, most of her co-workers want her dead; the rest consider her one of life's true wonders, an endless font of strange and narcissistic behavior in a cheerful, unassuming package, brightening up their otherwise drudging lives in tech support. Somewhat disappointingly, her passion for Wicca and magic has not imparted to her any knowledge whatsoever of world religions, even other New Age belief systems, nor any occult topics other than her own favorite spells. She does, however, have more than a passing knowledge of Pern and Harry Potter.

In a supernatural game, she may know a slightly useful amount of actual magic, the kind that helps you find lost keys and such. In a game in which this is definitely not true, and is likely to have social or life consequences, she can be considered to have a Delusion (I cast spells). By her own admission, she is no Oracle, and has no facility with tarot readings or astrology, although she finds both interesting.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:59 AM   #397
Michele

CHARLES WORTHINGTON
"Dad's Army" Home Guard Sergeant

(c) copyright 2010 Michele Armellini

Base Setting: GURPS WWII, GURPS WWII: Their Finest Hour

Total Points: 0

Age: 42 Height: 5'3" Weight: 225 Description: a fat, jovial man with wavy light brown hair and pale skin

ST 9 [-10] HP 9 [0]
DX 9 [-10] Will 11 [0]
IQ 11 [20] Per 11 [0]
HT 10 [0] FP 10 [0]

Basic Speed: 4.75 Move: 4
Basic Damage: Thrust 1d-2, Swing 1d-1
Basic Lift: 16
[Total Attributes: 0]

ADVANTAGES AND PERKS:
Courtesy Rank +1 [1]; Military Rank 1 [5]; Wealth (Comfortable) [10].
Good With (Regular customers) [1].
[Total Advantages and Perks: 17]

DISADVANTAGES AND QUIRKS:
Delusion (I am carrying out a vital task in the defense of the nation [-5]; Duty (Home Guard, on 12 or less) [-10]; Fat [-3]; Gluttony [-5]; Klutz [-5]; Motion Sickness [-10]; Unfit [-5].
Dislikes tobacco and smokers [-1]; Garrulously obsequious [-1]; Nosy [-1]; Slightly paranoid [-1].
[Total Disadvantages and Quirks: -47]

SKILLS: Accounting-9 [1]; Administration-10 [1]; Area Knowledge (Home area)-13 [4]; Camouflage-11 [1]; Current Affairs/TL6 (Regional)-11 [1]; Electronic Operations/TL6 (Communications)-10 [1]; Detect Lies-6* [Default]; Environment Suit (NBC Suit)/TL6-8 [1]; Fast-Talk-11 [2]; Guns/TL6 (Rifle)-9 [1]; Merchant-13 [8]; Navigation/TL6 (Land)-10 [1]; Psychology-6* [Default]; Savoir-Faire (Servant)-11 [1]; Scrounging-11 [1]; Soldier-11 [2]; Spear-8 [1]; Stealth-8 [1]; Throwing-8 [1]; Traps/TL6-10 [1].
*includes +1 from Good With, only when dealing with regular customers.
[Total Skills: 30]

TL: 6 Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
LANGUAGES: English (spoken-native; written-native) [0].
[Total Cultural Familiarities and Languages: 0]

BACKGROUND:
Mr. Worthington was a successful shop-owner in the small sea resort of Eastham-by-Sea, but his dull life as a single having no other interest but food was only brightened by frequent good meals. He felt there had to be more for him to do apart from running the three shops that, taken together, cover most of the needs of the town and of the surrounding countryside.
Then came the war, the series of setbacks, and the recruitment drive for the Home Army. Charles Worthington is no firebrand patriot, nor does he feel any overarching sense of duty; but having quickly become, by default, the leader of the Eastham-by-Sea detachment, he can feel he's become as important as he deserves. His delusion is that the drills, the stand-tos, the parades amount to a vital task in the defense of the country.
Charles likes the long, uneventful patrolling quite a bit less, because the fact is that he's not a soldier, and the hasty training he underwent didn't turn him into one.
This character is most suitable for a play-for-laughs campaign inspired by the "Dad's Army" series. His general unsoldierly background is in sharp contrast with his eagerness for recognition as a military man. His remarkable clumsiness, his Quirks, and the disagreeable consequences that often take place if Charles is forced to travel on the detachment's lorry all make for humorous incidents.
In a serious campaign, Sergeant Worthington may provide some comic relief. He is nosy and paranoid enough to butt in on actual soldiers, or agents, training or even carrying out a mission within his home turf.

CANONICALITY: A Sergeant in the Home Guard actually has something like the authority of an Army Corporal. This is why the actual Military Rank Advantage is 1, and the Courtesy Rank is noted as "+1". Formally, Worthington is Rank 2, but half of that has the weight of a Courtesy Rank. If a regular Army unit happened to be training near Eastham-by-Sea and Sergeant Worthington tried to order around an Army squad led by a Corporal, he'd discover his real standing.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #398
Gold & Appel Inc

Scary Shari, Comically Aggressive Beggar [-25 Points]:

Image: A tall, broad-shouldered black woman in her late 30s, early 40s, with slightly bulging eyes and a very loud, high-pitched voice. She dresses in Goodwill clothing appropriate to the weather, and has a tendency to roll her head when she talks.

Culture: TL 8 [0]; Familiarity: Western [0]; Languages: English (Native / Broken) [-2];

Attributes: ST 11 [10]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 9 [-20]; HT 10 [0];

Secondary: Speed: 5.0 [0]; Move: 5 [0]; HP: 12 [2]; FP: 10 [0]; Perception: 10 [5]; Willpower: 11 [10];

Advantages: Fearlessness x2 [4]; Independent Income X5 [5];

Perks: Piercing Voice [1];

Disadvantages: Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Chummy [-5]; OPH (Powerful BO) [-10]; OPH (No Indoor Voice) [-5]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Status -2 [-10]; Wealth (Poor) [-15];

Quirks: Constantly Moving Her Neck [-1]; Incompetence (Panhandling) [-1]; Mild Laziness [-1]; Mild Stubbornness [-1]; Nosy [-1];

Skills: Area Knowledge (E) (Downtown Neighborhood) IQ+2 [4]-11; Brawling (E) DX [1]-10; Detect Lies (H) Per-1 [2]-9; Hiking (A) HT-1 [1]-9; Intimidation (A) Will+1 [4]-12; Scrounging (E) Per+1 [2]-11; Streetwise (A) IQ-1 [1]-8; Survival (A) (Urban) Per+1 [4]-11;

Notes: Part of our continuing series: "Wacky People From the Streets of Real Life Denver," suitable for a recurring Contact or bizarre recurring encounter for a character with Weirdness Magnet in a realistic or Modern Horror setting.

Background: Shari is one of the more memorable beggars around LoDo, usually in the vicinity of the 1-Up on 20th and Blake. She doesn't appear to have any substance abuse problem, just a general hopelessness at healthy forms of social interaction. The kids call her Scary Shari, because she's physically imposing, she shouts instead of talking, and she gets right up in people's faces when she's asking them for money. Her pitch is pretty terrible, but she's tenacious, and people sometimes fling cash at her to make her go away (possibly feeling as though they've just been gently mugged). She seems oblivious to the difference, and even eager to socialize.

Sample Dialogue: "HELP THE HOMELESS!?" "Uh, not today, sorry." "WHY NOT!?" "Look, I haven't even broken even yet today." "DON'T YOU LIKE ME!?" "I don't dislike you..." [Long Pause] "THAT'S FAIR... DO YOU PLAY VIDEO GAMES?" "Uh. Sometimes, sure. Why?" "CAN I JUST GET A QUARTER FOR THE 1-UP!?" [I can't make this $#!% up]

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 04-04-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #399
Maz

Quote:
"Wacky People From the Streets of Real Life Denver,"
These are all beautiful, and I want to hear more :)
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #400
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
These are all beautiful, and I want to hear more :)
Thanks! This will always be my favorite thread.

Tags
npcs