Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #321
Voltron64
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Here's a fun fact, more often than not, most Imperial member worlds that are representative democracies tend to be constitutional monarchies. Apparently, that way it's much easier for the Imperium to ennoble local political leaders.
Voltron64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #322
Diomedes
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron64 View Post
Here's a fun fact, more often than not, most Imperial member worlds that are representative democracies tend to be constitutional monarchies. Apparently, that way it's much easier for the Imperium to ennoble local political leaders.
Don't they normally only entitle the local leaders when the planet joins, though? I imagine they have a lot less control over the governmental system of worlds they're trying to entice into membership.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #323
Voltron64
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

They're an old saying among Travellers.

"A ship will bring you work; a gun will help you keep it." ;)
Voltron64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #324
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Tasteless: a variety of ration foods sold widely at many chandlers. It is valued among pursers because it is in fact tasteless. Comes in capsules that can be easily crushed into powder and mixed with liquid or semi-liquid fare. Tasteless allows rations to be stretched farther by stocking with a disproportionate amount of such traditional spacers fare as caffinated and alchoholic beverages and to forego much of the food supply. Appreciated by spacers who are able to obtain the benefits of ration foods without having to actually consciously eat them.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #325
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Hey! What are the popular comics and pulp magazines of the imperium? Which Genres of popular fiction dominate the news stands?
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #326
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Hey! What are the popular comics and pulp magazines of the imperium? Which Genres of popular fiction dominate the news stands?
What are they?
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #327
combatmedic
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: a crooked, creaky manse built on a blasted heath
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
What are they?
He's asking an open question, Jason.

I think the Impeirum is simply too big and too diverse for any particular set of comics or magazines to enjoy Imperium-wide popularity.

That's IMHO and IMTU, of course.

Narrowing it down a bit further, though, and I could see certain mags or comics being popular in certain clusters or sectors where there is a lot of interplanetary commerce and a shared cultural background.

Maybe a comic strip about heroic human soldiers and spacers fighting the evil Vargr menace is popular in the Gashikan Sector?
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #328
rus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Narrowing it down a bit further, though, and I could see certain mags or comics being popular in certain clusters or sectors where there is a lot of interplanetary commerce and a shared cultural background.
Perhaps even media devoted to Travellers... in jokes among spacers, the bumbling dirtsider, that sort of thing.
rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #329
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Virginia
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Does the 3I have Science Fiction? I asume a genre like the EAST of SUEZ genre of Adventure fiction that was popular in the late 19th century British Empire combindes Space Opera, the Planetary Romance, the Western, Spy Fiction, Swashbucklers, and several other genres.

Given the horror of Psions in the 3I, I doubt superheros are popular in comics.

I wonder if ghost stories or fantasy fiction is at all developed?
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #330
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Does the 3I have Science Fiction? I asume a genre like the EAST of SUEZ genre of Adventure fiction that was popular in the late 19th century British Empire combindes Space Opera, the Planetary Romance, the Western, Spy Fiction, Swashbucklers, and several other genres.

Given the horror of Psions in the 3I, I doubt superheros are popular in comics.

I wonder if ghost stories or fantasy fiction is at all developed?
Sword Worlders love Tolkien don't they?
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.