Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Sunrunners_Fire
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default [Build Advice] Enhancement: Benefits from (Power Talent) value?

Your opinions on how I would go about pricing an enhancement that lets an advantage benefit from a power talent but not suffer the limitation of that source? So, Generic Advantage with (Benefits from (Power Talent), +...%) results in the enhancement value of ...?

I'm thinking +10% is reasonable. Whatcha think?
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: [Build Advice] Enhancement: Benefits from (Power Talent) value?

I would probably call it a feature but it depends on the talent and advantage.
Can you elaborate?
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Re: [Build Advice] Enhancement: Benefits from (Power Talent) value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would probably call it a feature but it depends on the talent and advantage.
Can you elaborate?
In this specific case:
Power Talent - Psionic ESP
Advantages - Chameleon, Sensitive, Scanning Sense (Sonar), Silence, Telecommunication (Directional Sound), Telecommunication (Sonar Comm)

The advantages are species-wide traits. The power talent isn't, but is enabled via the Racial Gifts perk (which is species-wide). A Mnemi Esper is better at concealing themselves with camouflage, at interpreting what its' sonar perceives, at concealing any sounds it may make and at establishing contact with its' sound comms than a non-Esper is; it can also pull all the stunts with these advantages that it can with its' psionic powers. However, shutting off an Esper's ESP doesn't make those advantages stop working ... they just stop being enhanced beyond what they would otherwise be.

I also intend to generalize the enhancement for future use, so ...
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: [Build Advice] Enhancement: Benefits from (Power Talent) value?

Pretty diverse list and several of them have rolls that would be related. Mostly Per, I assume you want this to add to the PER rolls and the stealth rolls using the powers?
If so I think +10% is fair. In this case your defiantely getting a benefit after all.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
munin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vermont, USA
Default Re: [Build Advice] Enhancement: Benefits from (Power Talent) value?

Limitations of a power source usually have definite costs (Evaluating Power Modifiers, pp. P20-26). If one ability is part of a power but is not subject to the usual limitations of the power, you should just buy off those limitations. You might write this up as "ESP, -10%; Not limited by anti-psi powers and technology, +10%" or you might condense it into a convenience notation such as "ESP, No interference, +0%". So some regular abilities might have the -10% version of the power modifier and others might have the +0% version of the power modifier, but they're all still part of the same power (and thus affected by the power talent). Obviously, if you're using a power modifier with a different value (Cosmic, Moral, Nature, Spirit, etc.), the cost to buy off the power limitations will be different.

Ignoring power limitations, whether or not an ability is affected by a power talent is mostly a feature. The number of abilities that are affected by the power talent might change the cost of the talent (Pricing Talents, p. P29), but it doesn't affect the ability itself.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: [Build Advice] Enhancement: Benefits from (Power Talent) value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Your opinions on how I would go about pricing an enhancement that lets an advantage benefit from a power talent but not suffer the limitation of that source? So, Generic Advantage with (Benefits from (Power Talent), +...%) results in the enhancement value of ...?

I'm thinking +10% is reasonable. Whatcha think?
Too much of a headscratcher, IMO. Kinda like taking a PowMod for an ability but not having the inherent limitations. Why not just make up a new Talent for the advantages?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
kirbwarrior
 
kirbwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dreamland
Default Re: [Build Advice] Enhancement: Benefits from (Power Talent) value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
Limitations of a power source usually have definite costs (Evaluating Power Modifiers, pp. P20-26). If one ability is part of a power but is not subject to the usual limitations of the power, you should just buy off those limitations. You might write this up as "ESP, -10%; Not limited by anti-psi powers and technology, +10%" or you might condense it into a convenience notation such as "ESP, No interference, +0%". So some regular abilities might have the -10% version of the power modifier and others might have the +0% version of the power modifier, but they're all still part of the same power (and thus affected by the power talent). Obviously, if you're using a power modifier with a different value (Cosmic, Moral, Nature, Spirit, etc.), the cost to buy off the power limitations will be different.

Ignoring power limitations, whether or not an ability is affected by a power talent is mostly a feature. The number of abilities that are affected by the power talent might change the cost of the talent (Pricing Talents, p. P29), but it doesn't affect the ability itself.
I agree here. Simple and most effective, without any weird side issues.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
While I do not think that GURPS is perfect I do think that it is more balanced than what I am likely to create by GM fiat.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Sunrunners_Fire
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Re: [Build Advice] Enhancement: Benefits from (Power Talent) value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Too much of a headscratcher, IMO.
Heh.

Quote:
Kinda like taking a PowMod for an ability but not having the inherent limitations.
Precisely.

Quote:
Why not just make up a new Talent for the advantages?
Mnemi ESPer (Psionic ESP 4 [20], Mnemi Psionic ESP 4 [20]) [40]
vs: Human ESPer (Psionic ESP 4 [20]) [20]

... with the Mnemi Psionic ESP power talent affecting a grand total of six powers (only and ever) that don't require the power talent to use in the first place (as every Mnemi in existence has and uses those powers absent individual disadvantages to the contrary) but the Mnemi ESPer can't not purchase the Mnemi Psionic ESP power talent if they are going to purchase the Psionic ESP power talent at all; and they must purchase both power talents at the same level.

That strikes me as unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I agree here. Simple and most effective, without any weird side issues.
I'm tending to agree. Still thinking on it though.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
kirbwarrior
 
kirbwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dreamland
Default Re: [Build Advice] Enhancement: Benefits from (Power Talent) value?

If it gives them an edge that people are unaware of e.g. "I'a zap you with anti-powerz" "Oho! Antipowers no work on me!" then an Unusual Background is called for, but since this is species wide, I don't believe that would be the case.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
While I do not think that GURPS is perfect I do think that it is more balanced than what I am likely to create by GM fiat.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: [Build Advice] Enhancement: Benefits from (Power Talent) value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Mnemi ESPer (Psionic ESP 4 [20], Mnemi Psionic ESP 4 [20]) [40]
vs: Human ESPer (Psionic ESP 4 [20]) [20]

... with the Mnemi Psionic ESP power talent affecting a grand total of six powers (only and ever) that don't require the power talent to use in the first place (as every Mnemi in existence has and uses those powers absent individual disadvantages to the contrary) but the Mnemi ESPer can't not purchase the Mnemi Psionic ESP power talent if they are going to purchase the Psionic ESP power talent at all; and they must purchase both power talents at the same level.

That strikes me as unfair.
The only thing I see that might be unfair is forcing the race to buy equal Talent levels for both sets of abilities. That is a campaign level decision, so it can't be considered a problem with giving them another Talent. Human ESPers presumably don't qualify to purchase the proposed Talent at all. Anyway, I'm just saying how I might handle such a build, by avoiding conceptual problems involved in the idea of getting the benefit of a Power Talent without actually belonging to the power.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
build advice, enhancement, enhancements, modifier, modifiers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.