Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
ConsoleKiddy

Default Orc against multiple monsters

The orc card states that it gets an extra level when defeating a monster with more than 10 difference in combat strength. I was wondering how this rule works against multiple monsters. An example:
I'm an orc with 15 combat strength. I'm fighting a lvl 1 pot plant and wander an extra lvl 1 monster into the fight. Now I defeat 2 monsters which would normally allow me to go up 2 levels. However: I did have more than 10 combat strength over the monsters. Do I go up an extra level? Or 2 extra levels? Or none?
ConsoleKiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Dr. Mauric

Default Re: Orc against multiple monsters

I asked the same question awhile back and it was ruled one extra level per combat, no matter how many monsters. Perhaps someone else can find the link... searching on a phone isn't easy for me.... :)
Dr. Mauric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Clipper

Yeah, I'll back that one up. You are always comparing the total strength of the Munchkin side to the total strength of the Monster side, so the Orc gets an extra level if it is fighting alone and beats the monsters by more than 10. If fighting two Level 1 monsters, the Orc will get three levels (two for the monsters, one for the ability) from the combat if he has a combat strength of 13 or more. A combat strength of 3 through 12 gives two levels; those for killing the monsters only.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

No matter how many Monsters you face in a combat, you are always comparing one side's combat strength against the other. Therefore, when facing multiple Monsters, the Orc can only ever get one if he beats the combined Monster side by more than 10 (i.e., by 11 or more).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Enzzo

Related question about Samurai:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/img/thingie.pdf
Gaining Face: Go up an extra level when you kill,
unaided, a monster whose Level is at least twice yours.
This is Capital-L Level, so this means, for example, if you are a Level 4 Samurai, and you defeat a monster of Level 8 or higher, you go up an extra level regardless of your combat strengths.

What if you defeat 2 monsters, each of which has a Level that is at least twice yours? Do you go up 2 extra levels, or is it like the Orc's power, and you go up 1 extra level regardless of the number of monsters in the combat?
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Brf

It could not possibly be like the Orc's, since you could not kill a monster whose combat strength is twice yours.

On second thought you can...
But the power is referring to Level, so it would apply to each monster, not the total.

Last edited by Brf; 10-24-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Clipper

I think this one does apply to each monster individually too. It's written sort of like the Elf's power, which definitely multiplies by the number of monsters you kill at the same time. In that case, a Samurai that kills two monsters that each have a Level that is twice the Samurai's Level would go up two extra levels.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Pyriis

What about with MATE where all the bonuses and things double.. Would it still be that way?
Pyriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyriis View Post
What about with MATE where all the bonuses and things double.. Would it still be that way?
Which effect are you asking about? Mate adds a new monster to the combat that is the same as the other monster, including all its Monster Enhancers. For the Orc's ability, you still calculate the combat strength of both sides and then compare to see if the Munchkins' combat strength is more than 10 greater than the monsters' combat strength. For the Samurai's ability, you are now killing two monsters that both have the same Level. If that Level happens to be twice your Level, then you should go up two extra levels if you kill both of them.

Tags
orc, wandering monster