Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
cmdicely

Default Re: Weird notation in MH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Ok, there are some truth to this. For instance using the spells Banish to banish Demons, it's FP cost is based on the dmeons CP-total. But IMO that's a terrible outdated way of doing it, and extremely bothersome to the GM. And luckily outside of Magic (which is known for it's legacy errors) I haven't see points-total being used anywhere.
"Sacrifice Values and Character Points", Thaumatology, p. 55.

Quote:
However templates are sometimes relevant. for instance if PC's can morph into them. But then you don't actually need to know it's points total
If you are going to use the actual rules for Morph, you do.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
Bruno

Default Re: WEird notation in MH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanbeli View Post
I also remember this was not always the case: in Fantasy we got points value for IQ 4 monstrous creatures like the Rukh (520 pts) and the chimera (85 pts).
If someone who does like noodling around with points happens to go to all the work of calculating the point value, you might as well include it. Leaving it out even though you have it borders on active malice - both to the person who's done the work, and to the folks who would have liked to see the numbers.

It's worth noting that I do basically all my monsters in GCA, simply because I find the big shopping lists of traits good inspiration. This results in a point total naturally falling out of my work, but that's more of an accident than deliberate.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #23
dcarson

Even for Morph and Alternate Form if it looks like the point total wold be less than or equal to the PC that's enough info in most cases. Only if it would be more do you need to start figuring trade offs.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Weird notation in MH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
"Sacrifice Values and Character Points", Thaumatology, p. 55.

If you are going to use the actual rules for Morph, you do.
Neither of which exist in MH and even if they did they wouldn't apply to monsters.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #25
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Even for Morph and Alternate Form if it looks like the point total wold be less than or equal to the PC that's enough info in most cases. Only if it would be more do you need to start figuring trade offs.
PC's racial template, not the PC.

550 point human is still human.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #26
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
PC's racial template, not the PC.

550 point human is still human.
Then again, that's very setting specific, after all, Morph works as necessary to fit the setting, and I for one have never allowed any concepts which only took into account a PC's racial template instead of the PC template.

In fact, I find it a pretty silly setting which would use the PC's racial template, as that'd lead to things like super-mice and wonder-dogs, but to each their and I wouldn't begrudge anyone their silly campaigns.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
In fact, I find it a pretty silly setting which would use the PC's racial template, as that'd lead to things like super-mice and wonder-dogs
This-does-not-follow.

Letting people play 550 point mice and dogs will lead to super-mice and wonder-dogs, but I'm not seeing the connection to shapeshifting.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #28
Athanbeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
If someone who does like noodling around with points happens to go to all the work of calculating the point value, you might as well include it. Leaving it out even though you have it borders on active malice - both to the person who's done the work, and to the folks who would have liked to see the numbers.
I still prefer stat blocks, where you don't have to calculate the actual damage for the specific attacks, or sift through a long list of mixed skills to find the relevant levels for combat.

Furthermore, what's the point of a full write-up of a mythical beast like the chimaera, that a hero like Bellerophon (300+ cps) would squash in no time?

Perhaps stat blocks should include just the points total, omitting the sub-values that compose it. For those abilities that are not available in the various books intended for characters, the authors might simply establish their values case by case, not fussing too much over them.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanbeli View Post
Perhaps stat blocks should include just the points total, omitting the sub-values that compose it. For those abilities that are not available in the various books intended for characters, the authors might simply establish their values case by case, not fussing too much over them.
That still has the problem Kromm posted about in that it takes a lot more time to calculate the point total of a monster then ti just make one.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Writing in the item costs isn't the work, you see . . . it's looking them up in the first place, getting all the modifiers and adjustments and special cases right, and making the totals correct. Getting a final point value means doing 95% of the work we can't justify for a pure NPC monster. And I fail to see how having that value would help you estimate threat values, as it's a long-established truth that GURPS point values do not in any way correspond to "toughness." They can rate that, with a lot of specialized assumptions, but the only thing they rate in the general case is versatility.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attacks, monster hunters, werewolf