Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 03-25-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
hermit

Default New-ish and from the UK

Hiya. I made this user account years ago but never really did anything with it back then.

Im from the UK, and would like to get to know others on here in the hope i can network and get to play a game or more.
Ive never actually played any rpg with the exception of the solo play dice books.
but i have some knowlege of the general gameplay theory.
i have a very battered preloved Gurp book i bought years ago.

so i welcome any chat to encourage my getting settled on here in the hope of getting to play something.
hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: New-ish and from the UK

Hi!

Your best place to start is probably the GURPS channel (here), where all your questions can be answered. Be aware that people can get overenthusiastic and give you advice that's really better for people who have played the game for year. But we try to friendly to all newcomers.

If you want to find gamers you can try the Gamer Finder forum (here), but it seems to be a little low in activity.

If you you're on Discord there's also at least one GURPS Discord. There's also a subreddit.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
hermit

I have very recently set up a discord account, but im still unsure about it. then i remembered about this website and forum and i came here to check if i still had an account, so here i am.

ive just dug my old thurd edition gurps book from my bookshelf and cleaned the dust from it.
ill be having a go at some charactor building in preperation for a game sometime.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #4
Anders

There are a few old-timers who still use 3rd edition, so that shouldn't be a problem (although I like 4th edition better). If you have any questions, my advice would be to put [3rd edition] in the title line.

Be aware that character creation is the hardest part of GURPS. This is a game that, unfortunately, is very front-loaded - you need to do a lot of thinking to get all the details of character creation up and running. On the other hand, the other rules aren't so hard.

And remember, GURPS is very modular. That is, you do not have to (and probably should not) use all the rules. Start with a very abstract level and you can learn the nitty-gritty later.

Edit: What kind of games do you want to run? If you want to run dungeon crawls there's a system called Dungeon Fantasy Role Playing Game that takes 4th edition, trims away all the unnecessary rules and leaves just enough to satisfy your down-the-dungeon needs. There are also some "worked examples" for 4th edition - Action (action movies), Monster Hunters (Buffy-esque), After the End (Post-Apocalypse) - but all these require the 4th edition Basic Set.

Last edited by Anders; 03-25-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
hermit

oh bother, ill have to go buy the newer edition now. rolls eyes, lol

when you say what games do i want to run, im assuming you mean run as in being the DM? i dont want to run games as im too introvert. I am currently only wanting to be in forum text games from other peoples.

im not sure what games there are open at the moment, but i will be looking
Old 03-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
hermit

speaking of the newer edition gurps basic set book.
just how much difference is there between the 3rd and the 4th?
its a fair chunk of money to get one in uk if theres ignorable differences
Old 03-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #7
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermit View Post
There are substantial changes. Passive Defense (PD) is gone, changing the combat system in a big way. Attribute costs have changed. Skills can no longer have half a point. And quite a few more.

Edit to add: You should ask this question in the GURPS forum, where more of the GURPS community will see it.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
hermit

ooops i apologise..i got carried away with chatting and forgot to jump to the correct forum section
Old 03-26-2021, 03:05 PM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermit View Post
speaking of the newer edition gurps basic set book.
its a fair chunk of money to get one in uk if theres ignorable differences
There is a free update here and that may give you an idea of what has changed. There's also a clear system for customizing abilities from basic advantages - although it requires some math (not very much, but still).