Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: Where can my PC learn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Okay, but at that point you're talking about self-teaching that still requires finding a teacher.
It's not mechanically treated as learning from a teacher. All self-teaching requires finding a source for the knowledge.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #22
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's not mechanically treated as learning from a teacher. All self-teaching requires finding a source for the knowledge.
Yes. Much of it, however, uses (or can use) stable information repositories as sources rather than sporadic (and in this case, potentially furtive) human behaviors.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #23
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
Lockpicking This is difficult, here in the U.K. I believe it's illegal to carry lockpicks outside your own home unless your profession requires it. I imagine most First World places are similar.
Swaths of the U.S. will allow you to own, carry, and use lockpicks without a license (with restrictions like “you can only pick your own locks or loan your picks to a friend to let them pick their own locks”). That said, if you commit a burglary and are carrying picks or pry bars on your person or vehicle you’ll have further charges regarding “thieves’ tools” to face in court (even if you do have a locksmith license). Laws are weird sometimes.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #24
Mcoorlim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
All of these skills can be learned by self-teaching, I assumed the question was where you could find a teacher.
Yeah, I'm looking for "legal and legitimate" ways to pick up the skills in a structured environment, even if they're technically ancillary to the point of taking the class or seminar or whatever.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #25
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcoorlim View Post
So I'd like my character to learn a few skills in a first-world contemporary setting, but I'm not sure what opportunities there are for real world study to justify a studied improvement. Any suggestions are welcome.

Skills desired:
Fast-talk Maybe a pick up artist class? Where can the PC learn to manipulate people?

Intimidation: Self-defense classes that focus on assertiveness?

Stealth, Lockpicking, Traps (Alarms): Basically, where can the PC go to learn to break into places?
Lockpicking, traps(alarms) and fast talk can be taken as courses attached to or in association with computer security conferences and computer hacking training. DefCon will have at least one locking class, one traps(alarms) class and one fast talk class.

SANS offers a physical security course which is basically lockpicking, traps alarms, and fast talk:
https://www.sans.org/course/physical...ensive-edition

Most of those horrific 'pickup artist' classes are ultimately teaching a mixture of fast-talk and intimidation with the end goal of 'convince this person to have sex with me'.

Any formal training in door to door sales or high pressure sales techniques are also a mixture of intimidation and fast-talk.

A close range hunting school (so crossbow hunting, pistol hunting, or spear hunting) would teach stealth as part of what they do. Many private eye training programs would also be teaching stealth (also electronic operation (surveillance), and potentially fast-talk.)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skills, training