Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #1
nerdvana

Default Stacking Preparation Required Limitations

I'm curious if anyone else has ever considered this...

I am considering building a trait with Preparation Required, Weakened without Preparation and Immediate Preparation Required stacked on top of each other and am wondering if the below combination would be legal.

Weakened without Preparation (-90%): Power works at 50% efficiency if you have eaten meat (or plant*) material in the last 8 hours
Preparation Required (-30%): Must meditate for ten minutes before the power can be attempted**
Immediate Preparation Required (-30%): Must sing for at least a minute while activating the power before it can take effect

* This is an either/or situation. If I were putting that into a trait it would be only one or another.
** And I'm assuming that if a Meditation skill roll was needed this could allow a Requires (Attribute) Roll shifted to a skill roll in addition to any Requires (Attribute) Roll needed to activate the power.

Last edited by nerdvana; 11-03-2014 at 06:04 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: Stacking Preparation Required Limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post

I am considering building a trait with Preparation Required, Weakened without Preparation and Immediate Preparation Required stacked on top of each other and am wondering if the below combination would be legal.

Weakened without Preparation (-90%): Power works at 50% efficiency if you have eaten meat (or plant*) material in the last 8 hours
Preparation Required (-30%): Must meditate for ten minutes before the power can be attempted**
Immediate Preparation Required (-30%): Must sing for at least a minute while activating the power before it can take effect

* This is an either/or situation. If I were putting that into a trait it would be only one or another.
** And I'm assuming that if a Meditation skill roll was needed this could allow a Requires (Attribute) Roll shifted to a skill roll in addition to any Requires (Attribute) Roll needed to activate the power.
I think these are actually Trigger (Eat specific thing), Preparation Required (ten minutes), and Takes Extra Time 7. If something doesn't take a specific amount of time (like eating meat), it's not Prep Required, and if it needs to immediately precede the ability, it's Takes Extra Time.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
I think these are actually Trigger (Eat specific thing), Preparation Required (ten minutes), and Takes Extra Time 7. If something doesn't take a specific amount of time (like eating meat), it's not Prep Required, and if it needs to immediately precede the ability, it's Takes Extra Time.
I could see Trigger possibly (don't eat specific thing for a set amount of time... but it seems more like a preparation required, especially if it is fasting). However, on the TET, Powers specifically says to use Preparation Required for things that take more than two levels of TET...
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post

I've stacked the two options in the past as "Weakened without Immediate Preparation" in that case, it simply cancels out one another. Since Immediate Preparation increases the limitation by 1.5 and Weakened without Preparation Required reduces it by 0.5 you'd use the base listed time. For example, "Weakened without Immediate Preparation, 1 minute" is a -20% limitation. I'm not so sure about having two activation rolls, but nothing in the RAW seems to prevent it. It might not be worth the small break in cost it gives.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
spacemonkey

I think the killer for the stacking idea is that you can only do 1 preparation at a time, even if you have 20 different flavors of preparation.

Depends on interpretation I guess, but "one advantage with this limitation" seems singular both for the advantage and the limitation.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
I think the killer for the stacking idea is that you can only do 1 preparation at a time, even if you have 20 different flavors of preparation.

Depends on interpretation I guess, but "one advantage with this limitation" seems singular both for the advantage and the limitation.
I just ignore that restriction personally, on the grounds that it makes very little sense. It greatly multiplies the restrictions associated with the limitation while keeping the limitation value constant.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations, preparation required