Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
shorinjiru

Default Level 1 Orc, Thief abilities

Since some powers require the Munchkin to lose a level - does that mean the power cannot be used by someone at Level 1 - because they have nothing to sacrifice... OR does it mean that they can use the power as much as they want?!

Example: a level-1 orc could ignore all curses, a level-1 thief could attempt to steal as long as they have cards to burn.

I've been playing that they can use the power endlessly, as risk only really matters when they advance in levels... but this sometimes results in DIRTY little thieves (like myself) who will steal everything possible without regard for winning.

Thanks for any clarification/tips!
shorinjiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Grax

Default Re: Level 1 Orc, Thief abilities

From the FAQ - The Thief can steal as long as he has cards to discard - and a level 1 thief has no negative (SO BEWARE!!!) ~ Though you can in act a house rule to the contrary if your group will agree to it. :)

(FROM FAQ)
Q. How often can a Thief steal?
A. As long as he has cards to discard.

Q. What happens to a Level 1 Thief who fails an attempt to steal? Does he die?
A. Nothing happens to him. You can't go below Level 1. (Beware the Level 1 Thief – he literally has nothing to lose!)

Last edited by Grax; 01-06-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Grax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
shorinjiru

EXCELLENT! I love being RIGHT. Thanks for validating my position... my co-players will be distraught :-) Bwahahaha
shorinjiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
StaticHamster

A Lvl 1 Orc cannot ignore Curses.

In the Thief ability you pay a card and losing a level can be a resulting penalty for failure. If you do not have a level to lose, you do not lose the level.

As an Orc you must pay a level to ignore a Curse. If you do not have a level to pay, you cannot ignore the Curse.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticHamster View Post
A Lvl 1 Orc cannot ignore Curses.

In the Thief ability you pay a card and losing a level can be a resulting penalty for failure. If you do not have a level to lose, you do not lose the level.

As an Orc you must pay a level to ignore a Curse. If you do not have a level to pay, you cannot ignore the Curse.
Exactly that, for those reasons. I feel this needs the official nod here, even though the Orc says as much on the card itelf: "An Orc who is hit with a curse can always choose to ignore the curse and lose a level instead -- unless he’s already at Level 1." Ignoring a curse is simply something a Level 1 Orc can not do.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
level 1, orc, steal, thief, thief steal rules