Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
JCurwen3

Default Unconscious Only & Uncontrollable - Disadvantages?

Could you apply these to disadvantages?

For instance, Unconscious Only (and maybe also combined with Uncontrollable - although I think it would be redundant) as an enhancement (to increase the absolute value) on a disadvantage defined with self-control numbers, to remove the ability to roll for self-control (if a player wanted a character that was completely controlled by the disadvantage)?

I also wondered about what an appropriate value might be for "Controllable" (the inverse of Uncontrollable, but for disadvantages). You'd use it to make disadvantages that normally have a persistence and a flat value capable of being "kept under control" with a Will roll when the player wants to do so under a situation of stress. Since this would significantly cut down on the seriousness of a disadvantage, it seems like it should be worth a lot. Uncontrollable is either -10% (non-damaging abilities) or -30% (destructive powers), so I thought -90% (I don't know if "capping" at -80% for limitations is necessary or even wise when it comes to disadvantages) for non-damaging disadvantages and -70% for the few disadvantages that can cause damage (like Weakness). Alternatively, if the value of Mitigator: Will roll could be locked down, that could work too.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Unconscious Only & Uncontrollable - Disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Could you apply these to disadvantages?

For instance, Unconscious Only (and maybe also combined with Uncontrollable - although I think it would be redundant) as an enhancement (to increase the absolute value) on a disadvantage defined with self-control numbers, to remove the ability to roll for self-control (if a player wanted a character that was completely controlled by the disadvantage)?
You can do anything. But I think this is a really bad idea. Obsessed and Fanatic already cover characters who are totally controlled by their disadvantage.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
You can do anything. But I think this is a really bad idea. Obsessed and Fanatic already cover characters who are totally controlled by their disadvantage.
Powers, p.106, offers the option of removing the Self Control number for a Temp Disad (multiplying the CP value by 2,5). I don't think there's a mechanical reason not to use this for straight disads, too.

Whether such a character would be playable would depend on the relevant disad, and the type of game, I guess.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I also wondered about what an appropriate value might be for "Controllable" (the inverse of Uncontrollable, but for disadvantages).
Isn't that the purpose of the Controllable Disadvantage perk?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
Powers, p.106, offers the option of removing the Self Control number for a Temp Disad (multiplying the CP value by 2,5). I don't think there's a mechanical reason not to use this for straight disads, too.

Whether such a character would be playable would depend on the relevant disad, and the type of game, I guess.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for as far as making a character entirely a slave to one specific disadvantage.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Isn't that the purpose of the Controllable Disadvantage perk?
What I'm suggesting is allowing for highly reduced cost disadvantages (any disadvantages, not just mental) where you have a disadvantage most of the time, but can shut it down with a Will roll when you need to, once per action (or once per turn in combat). For instance, you have Decreased Time Rate or Blindness or Bad Grip most of the time, but with a Will roll you can "control" your disadvantage and basically shut it off for the purposes of your next action (or next turn in combat). The Controllable Disadvantage perk makes disadvantages advantageous, whereas a disadvantage that was a problem for you most of the time but that shear Will can overcome once per action would still be disadvantageous (just arguably much less so).
Old 04-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
What I'm suggesting is allowing for highly reduced cost disadvantages (any disadvantages, not just mental) where you have a disadvantage most of the time, but can shut it down with a Will roll when you need to, once per action (or once per turn in combat).
Probably makes it a quirk, then.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Probably makes it a quirk, then.
Like I said, based on a straight "inverting" of the values for Uncontrollable, a "Controllable" would be -90% for disadvantages that don't cause you damage. For most disadvantages, that takes them to (or near) quirk level. But Blindness would still be -5 (50*0.1), and Decreased Time Rate would still be -10 (100*0.1). You'd still have the disadvantages most of the time and would have to make a Will roll in order to function normally for your next action (or turn in combat).

I think that valuation seems fair and doesn't leave room for abuse. I don't see this so much something that would be taken by players for their characters (but I can see some concepts being buildable this way), but I think it would be really useful for building custom Afflictions that afflict disadvantages - allowing attacks that give the target a chance to resist their effects each turn after their initial failed resistance roll until the affliction's duration expires.

Tags
disadvantages, unconscious only, uncontrollable