Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 11-12-2021, 07:34 PM   #11
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Default Re: ramp jumps (or other stunts)

Here is an image of my proposed race tack of DOOOM [tm], built using LEGO baseplates (and additional pieces, to hold the layout together).

https://www.deviantart.com/fwcain/ar...rack-897764145

You can build this yourself (albeit, not necessarily in the specific color scheme used)!

Here is another image, this one showing the starting positions.
https://www.deviantart.com/fwcain/ar...ions-897768141

Because of the unorthodox nature of the race track, the track's host wanted to maximize the potential for confrontation.

Enjoy! ;-)
Franklin

Last edited by fwcain; 11-12-2021 at 08:26 PM.
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:47 AM   #12
beetle496

@fwcain, but no ramp jumps, correct?

My first impression was that the scale had to be too small. But with the second photo I see you think it works for six cars? I think this has to be only good for CCW. In principle, I like the idea of using Lego to build a 6e track.

You can build a figure 8 track with the road tiles. I will get to that for quite a while, but I think it will be a hoot!

I am also a +1 for staying 2D, at least for a long, long while.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #13
fwcain

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
@fwcain, but no ramp jumps, correct?
Correct. That idea is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
My first impression was that the scale had to be too small.
I do not know if the LEGO baseplates will be to scale with the current version of Car Wars. I hope so. But I have not been able to confirm this for myself. I was using the (virtual) LEGO to visually explain my idea for the figure-eight race track. ;-)

Franklin
Old 11-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #14
Parody

We've used our Elko Dueltrack for figure-8 races. Generally when we do a race we start everyone at different points in the track length; for more criss-cross-crash action you might start them exiting the center like in your Lego map.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #15
kbs666

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Well, *I'm* not involved, personally; but the Discord discussion... well, "that is the sound of Inevitability, Mr. Anderson." >;)

I agree: The Jumping and Falling rules, and Rocket Boosters, were a Mongolian Cluster-Dance of Biblical proportions; the only people I ever saw using them were the same gang of [insert epithet of choice here] who wrote the bloody things. Heck, NOVA's racing rules included a "no temporary speed boosts" rule explicitly so we didn't have to fiddle with Rocket Boosters; and in my files, I have a much simpler (and in some aspects, more realistic!) jump/fall ruleset. So I can understand why some might desire 6E to remain 2D. But this is CW, and those 3D minis are going to Encourage People.... :)
I was at the GenCons where certain folks from a certain weird city in a certain oil rich state pretended to only play CW once a year while displaying an uncanny familiarity with all the rules including all the ones needed for playing in an arena that required jumping on ramps.

It left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and contributed to the spectacular drop off in my interest in CW.

If I ever see Hammer Downs, ramps or anything of the sort I'm out. I'll spend a crazy amount on a cycle and/or truck KS but [Edna voice] no ramps!
kbs666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #16
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
If I ever see Hammer Downs, ramps or anything of the sort I'm out.
We had six guys travel from Chicago to Peoria to play in the regional championships at a 3D Hammer Downs arena.

It was hosted by the Peoria Piledrivers and I seem to recall it was at Micro Machine scale.

One guy in our group took one of the bottom ramps at a speed WAY over what was needed to make the jump. Additionally, he was on fire. He ended up flying out of the arena. While he was airborne, he managed to avoid exploding. The phase he hit the ground, he failed his explosion roll. Could not have planned that better. I'm sure the video in the Car Wars universe is still played on the Best Of shows.

Another notable one was where two guys who were driving in succession jumped off the ramp. The guy in front peppered the guy behind in mid air as did another player jumping pretty much at the same time from a perpendicular ramp.

When front guy landed, he triggered his HDID. Guy in rear had to make a control roll on landing that was close to a D-infinity roll.

Good times but a game like that would take all day (even if we could drum up enough players.)
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #17
43Supporter

You may be pleased to know: My personal files do include a *much*-simplified ruleset for jumping and falling. The big problem is: Gravity is ~21MPH in CW terms (32'/sec^2 / 1.467), which neatly falls between 20MPH, and 22.5MPH, so one has to be creative. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I was at the GenCons where certain folks from a certain weird city in a certain oil rich state pretended to only play CW once a year while displaying an uncanny familiarity with all the rules including all the ones needed for playing in an arena that required jumping on ramps.

It left a bad taste in everyone's mouth and contributed to the spectacular drop off in my interest in CW.
Indeed. That group's in-arena behavior is why most people from the period consider the "Worlds" nothing but glorified Club Championships. I stand on my record of something like 500+ actual vehicle kills (including habitually kicking the backside of at least so-called "World Duelling Champion"...).

And the less said of how the "Protectorate War" was introduced, the better.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #18
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Good times but a game like that would take all day (even if we could drum up enough players.)
Good times indeed! SPARK usually does one duel a year in Hammer Downs. Shooting someone mid-air is always a treat; shooting someone's underbelly with a universal turret even better. :)
Old 11-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #19
fwcain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
One guy in our group took one of the bottom ramps at a speed WAY over what was needed to make the jump. Additionally, he was on fire. He ended up flying out of the arena. While he was airborne, he managed to avoid exploding. The phase he hit the ground, he failed his explosion roll. Could not have planned that better. I'm sure the video in the Car Wars universe is still played on the Best Of shows.
You owe me a replacement lung, for the one I just killed by laughing way too hard. ^_^

Franklin
Old 11-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #20
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Good times indeed! SPARK usually does one duel a year in Hammer Downs. Shooting someone mid-air is always a treat; shooting someone's underbelly with a universal turret even better. :)
"I got that beat -- I got that beat."

NOVA Championship event in H.D. "clone". Garrity ends up disabled on one of the lower ramps next to the hole; I take out "Weasel" with a head-on ram, leaving me with no DF weapons, but still mobile. Garrity demands a hand-to-hand fight to decide the winner. I take him up on the offer (I should have just used what was left of my car to shove him into the hole...), and the _Robot Jox_ jokes flew as fast as the punches. I won.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote